“Classless management”

Pearl South Padre
Montague, TX
“Classless management”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I'm not one to generally trash hotels (even if my experience isn't perfect. I never expect that.) But, aside from the nasty rooms with dirty linens and cigarette butts and trash all over the place, I was locked out of my 9th floor room for about an hour. No big deal, a couple of trips down the stairwell (wouldn't advise that without some sort of oxygen filter and rubber boots) to get my key re-energized and back up to the 9th only to find I'm still locked out. The maintenance gentleman (a very nice gentleman, by the way) made his way up to the room to try his key with no luck. Ten minutes later he brings up his stethoscope. Still no luck. Then, ten minutes later he brings up the big-boy tools, rips off the door knob and, an hour later, I'm in. Fifteen minutes later, the new entry pad is fixed and we're back in business. I can live with all of that. An inconvenience, but, nonetheless, I'm in my room. Now, to call and ask for an hour and a half extension of my check-out time, you'd have thought I was asking them for the smallest child's left kidney. Holy cow, pretty much an eff-you to me. No apology, no phoney commiseration, just a "we've got your money, you're leaving, too bad for you" attitude. Highly NOT recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Grut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Some friends and I decided to go to South Padre for spring break and staying at the Pearl had to have been one of the best decions we made. The staff was incredibly helpful and nice. The view was unbelivable and the pool was awesome. The beds were really comfortable. All in all we had the experience of our lives. I will definitely be coming back to the Pearl everytime I come back to South Padre.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Little did I know that I would end up at the Pearl Hotel on South Padre Island, better known as SPI, but I had a pleasant surprise! In a moment the surprise.

The 10pm arrive was less than expected with a front desk clerk who stood around at a snail pace to check me in, then used the excuse that she had been working the Spring Break shift for the last 2 weeks. Ok, but I'm one person standing at the front desk, sober,an adult and tired.

While the property is design to be Salt-Free with all tile floors everywhere including guests room, beware, SLIPPERY WHEN WET! While I have gecko feet and was born slip free, I did watch people the next day do the sandal shuffle and 2 legged split catching themselves from a really bad fall. The gift shop look and stock items like a post 1970's flashback movie, sometimes this can be attractive, but not very updated for the hip or not so hip guest.

My guest room was comfortable, thank goodness you can leave your balcony door open to sleep to the sound of the waves. Towels are plenty, beds comfortable and the Surprise?

A single or dual coffee maker with STARBUCKS coffee packets, yes real Starbucks coffee!

On South Padre Island there is no Starbucks to be found! Locals say it's to hot to drink coffee.
Say that to the people in Phoenix, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, Houston , all the major Hot cities in the U.S., so why cheat the traveler from their morning fix...South Padre Island> Hint, Hint....SPI Chamber of Commerce?
My message to the traveler who happens to land on this tiny sandbar called SPI, stay at the Pearl if you want comfort, ocean views and a hit of Starbucks in the AM or PM, you'll be the envy of the Island. Who knows you may even make a few bucks along the way opening your own Starbucks delivery service via the Pearl!
A Pearl in the land of among Coffee drinkers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2012

recently stayed at this property with my fiancé. Was our first time getting away since our engagement with our busy schedules. It was a nightmare, three step check in and not only that the agents were very rude. I understand that there is spring breakers there but not all are there for the same reasons. The price was ridiculously expensive for the type of room I received. I had a couple of friends meet me us up there from another city. Each had to pay twenty four dollars for a wrist band so they could come into my room and Non-refundable. Departing the hotel I noticed i left my pillow in the room. I asked if I could retrieve it they said no someone will be sent up. Twenty minutes later I still hadn't received it. Finally asked someone if I could go up there and they said yes. Got up to the room pillow was no where to be found but the houseman was in the room cleaning it. I asked him if he had seen it or if it was in his bin outside the room. He said no, I didn't have time to go back and fourth and was already running late for a flight. So I had to go. If your looking for a nice, quiet, quality service getaway on the island. I strongly suggest you go else where.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank justin c
PearlSouthPadre, E-Commerce Manager at Pearl South Padre, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
While we appreciate all reviews, this review does not represent a typical stay at the Pearl South Padre Hotel. As they mentioned in their review they did stay with us during Spring Break. Over this time there are a number of policies the hotel does put into place - including the wrist bands mentioned in the review - to ensure everyone who is with us during this busy time is a guest of the hotel. To the point regarding the price, Spring Break is the busiest week on the island, and as such the price is higher than a standard visit, however our price is in line with the other hotels on the island. We look forward to each guest visiting us, but if you are wanting to visit for a romantic getaway, please contact the hotel and we are more than happy to find a time that will fit your plans for your visit at the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

McAllen
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I have been visiting the island for more than 10 years and this is one of the best hotels out ther for a reasonable price. The beds were extremely comfortable. The rooms were nice but the view was to die for. They have one of the nicest swiming pools out there. What really did it for me though was the customer service. Even during checkout we didn't get rushed to check out and this was during spring break! Just a great experience over all and I will most likely be staying there a lot more often.

Room Tip: South side rooms have an awesome view of pool!
2 Thank Sergio R
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel was way to expensive for the types of rooms and services they provide. First off when you check in they make you fill out a checklist about the condition of the room, so that you won't get fined if anything is broken. This is there job! Second off the hotel room sucked. My bathroom had roaches in it, the doors were broken, the mini refrigerator (which they said was 900$) was broken, and the sheets were always stained. Third off they charge you a 50$ deposit per person and then a 50$ security deposit every night after that. This wouldn't have been a problem if they had returned our security deposit to our account on time and if they hadn't lost our 50$ cash deposit. When my boyfriend and I left to check out, they gave us back a 100$ bill and refused to exchange it for five 20$ bills. This behavior just shows you that they are not willing to keep track of their exchanges with you. Third off the food was outrageously expensive and disgusting-- all they offer are buffets. And lastly the front desk workers are incompetent. When we were checking out they told us they'd send a bell hop to our room. However, that didn't happen and we waited over an hour. They also don't try to cater to any of your needs. As a result of all these issues, I will never ever come back to this hotel. You can find a better deal at the holiday inn. I'm sure they would treat you better and the rooms would be updated.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here. All of them suck!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ashley W
PearlSouthPadre, E-Commerce Manager at Pearl South Padre, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your review of your time with us in South Padre. We do apologize that you found some of the policies different than most hotels; however over Spring Break our hotel does enact these to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for our guests. These rules are communicated to all coming to the hotel before their arrival to ensure that there are no issues at the hotel. We appreciate your time and wish you safe travels.
Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Really soft fluffy bed, not a good thing if you are used to sleeping on a more sturdy mattress. The room is always humid, maybe that's because we were there during spring break. Flat panel LCD with cable/coffee maker/hair dryer/iron and ironing board. One thing about housekeeping, they will on make your bed, they won't replace dirty towels. You'd have to bring your dirty towels downstairs to the lobby to trade in for clean towels. Nice pool with two hot tubs. And it's right at the beach.

Room Tip: This hotel is for the young crowd. It's a manageable walking distance to Chaos night club and al...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of the hotel. The Pearl is a very family friendly hotel, but as is the case with all hotels in South Padre, during the weeks of Spring Break the majority of guests are college age. The towel exchange is a policy that is only in place over spring break, and all other times the towels are changed in your room without a trip to the lobby needed. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon.