“Loved it, perfect stay, wanted to stay longer”
Review of Pearl South Padre

Pearl South Padre
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I had read some of the recent reviews and was very suprised. I found everything to be perfect. I had not been to SPI in about 5 years and the renovations since the storm looked really good. We arrived at about the same time several other vehicles did and I was worried since I saw one bell person. Within a minute, several others had arrived and were helping uload bags. I barely waited a minute or two. The same thing with the front desk. A small line was forming for the single desk person and a second desk attendent then third came out to work down the line immediately. I can not remember an employee that did not greet me on my way up to the room and everyone was polite. I forgot to ask for a crib at check in so I called down and had one within 20 minutes.

The kids loved the kids pool with the frog slide and we probably spent at least 2 hours a day at that pool alone. We at at the pool side grill, the hamburgers were average but the tacos and nachos were GREAT.

back to the rooms, everything was great. The beds were incredible. I can see where some people may say they are soft but this bed was making me think I needed a new matress at home. Both my wife and I had to get back to normal life but we needed another day or two here. I am honestly suprised by some of the other reviews since everything about this trip and our stay was perfect

3  Thank mikey9910
Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Our experience at Pearl South Padre was great! Sometimes it is hard to please the whole family, however, all of the them enjoyed the facilities and are still talking about our trip. Our youngest had lots of fun in the kiddie pool.
We found the staff to be very friendly and the hotel to be very clean. The food was also excellent. Most of our meals were eaten in the restaurant or the cabana by the pool. I, especially, recommend the shrimp tacos. They are one of the best that I have had.
This was actually the first vacation were I was able to relax. We would definitely go back.

3  Thank 70satx
PearlSouthPadre, E-Commerce Manager at Pearl South Padre, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

The first purpose of any vacation is to relax, and we are glad that this was accomplished during your stay here at the Pearl South Padre Hotel. We look forward to your family's return, and hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2011

The pictures of this place do not show it's true nature. This place is filthy. The bed sheets were dirty and covered in dog hair, the pull out sofa, which already had sheets on it, was full of sand and this was the first night we arrived!! The pillow cases were stained and filthy and our sheets werent changed once...and we stayed 3 nights. The rug under the bed and sofa and the floors were so filthy our feet and socks were black! The furniture is stained and all of the towels are stained or dirty. I picked up two different towels before finding a clean one...and I mean they looked like they hadn't been washed. The AC didn't blow cold and turned on and off about every 5 minutes. The pool is full of mold and dirty!! We were scheduled to stay 4 nights but were so disgusted that we left a day early. This entire hotel is run down and over priced! Do your research before staying here...don't waste your money!!!

2  Thank leighlovesd

Thank you for letting us know about your stay at the Pearl South Padre. We are working diligently on the issues you mentioned to ensure that they are not repeated. We hope that if you return to South Padre, you are able to visit us again and see the changes that have been made. We appreciate your feedback and hope you are able to return.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Stayed in 2 bedroom condo. Unit was sparsely furnished and old. Kitchen was updated, but no towels, dishcloths, or pot holders. Housekeeping left only towels, no cleaning or soap, shampoo, etc. Restaurant food was really good, service was really bad. Dinner lasted well over 2 hours, and entrees were not served at same time. Pool was deplorable. Dirty, cloudy, not appealing at all. Riding up the elevator and looking over the pool area compared to next door was amazing. We have a pool, and their is no excuse for this condition. Telling your kids they couldn't swim was not an option. Will not stay here again, we are back to the Isle Grande.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

We apologize for the stay not meeting your expectations. We are working to ensure that these issues are corrected, and hope that when you return to Padre, you are able to visit again to see the changes that we have made. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2011

First let me say, the staff is friendly, works hard and is always professional.

The Pearl shares the parking lot with the imposing Sapphire towers so unless you are utilizing valet it can be confusing, but just the first time. Upon arrival front desk staff quickly gets us checked in, our condominium is ready and off we go! Lobby appears clean and neatly kept. We quickly figure out that the elevators and hallways have no A/C running in them by design. Over the course of the week, we could guess who'd just arrived by their grumbling about the warm muggy elevator ride!

When we get to 1203/1204, the first thing I notice is the spectacular view from the balcony...entire pool and ocean with a small wedding going on in the tiny courtyard. Since we are traveling with another family, we each settle into our bedrooms etc. Both toilet seats are missing one bolt each, hence wiggly seats. The security lock on our door is broken and appears to have been forced open. Fine if that happened, but geez, get it fixed before the next guests arrrive. A/C has 2 options...freezing cold (approximately 69 degrees) or OFF. The temperature cannot be adjusted. Entire condo is minimally clean, but 1204 bathroom is pretty bad. I decide to write down all things that must be addressed then take it front desk clerk. He is apologetic and assures me it can be fixed within the hour. To my pleasant surprise, maintenance shows up and does just that, except for the A/C issue. He says nothing can be done about that...in other words, live with it.

It's Fourth of July, so understandably the place is packed. Despite this, it's not that bad at all. It is however annoying that the beach/pool hut is frequently waiting for fresh towels and that the bartender is all alone to take drink orders, food orders and tend the pool bar. Kyle did his best under less than ideal circumstances. The food is delicious, inexpensive and worth the wait. This remains consistent throughout the week!

Walk to the beach is perfect...not too long and umbrellas and chairs can be rented daily. The condition of these items isn't 5 star quality, but they do the job for $30/day. Beach activities are booked all day and appear to run smoothly. We enjoyed parasailing, watched the banana boat go in and out all day! Breeze was brisk so water was churned up a bit, but cooled us off nicely. Very enjoyable for entire family including little ones.

Hotel is understaffed and as a result the following is what it affected:
Some days room wasn't cleaned yet and we were ready to leave for dinner. Housekeeping was often waiting for fresh sheets and towels. Each floor has ONE housekeeper. Rooms were cleaned to an acceptable standard. We waited to head down to beach because towels weren't available yet. What I also realized during this stay is that the units are privately owned and evidently updated/maintained by each owner's personal standards. I did see other units that were nicer than ours, leaving me to conclude that it's roulet as to which one you get.

The location remains ideal. The pool could use some mainenance (i.e. black mildew all along the steps) and some simple ammenities would significantly improve the experience (i.e. luggage racks). Kitchen was amply stocked to cook, serve and entertain. It did the job but don't expect more than 2 persons to be in it at once. I'd stay here again, but would like to see the unit we are getting beforehand. I cannot emphasize enough that the staff was delightful. Certainly needed changes made by the management, plus certain upgrades/repairs would enhance this property and make our return a sure thing!!

1  Thank letsjet

Thank you very much for the review of the hotel. The Elevators and Hallways have the A/C fixed so that they are now up and running and ensuring your trip to your room is comfortable. We apologize for the issues in the condo, but are glad that the staff was able to address them quickly and professionally. We look forward to your return so you can see the great changes that have been made. Thank you again and safe travels!

Reviewed July 15, 2011

I'm in the hotel business in Las Vegas so I deal with guest complaints all the time. When booking the hotel stay I spoke with a very friendly staff member who answered all my questions professionally. We had a party of seven which the staff recommended their condo style rooms (instead of two separate rooms) which have a full kitchen, 2 bedrooms and a balcony which we booked. Upon our arrival we were so happy with the room on the 11th floor. Although there were a few small cosmetic blemishes such as stained chairs, a/c drips, couple of light bulbs out, etc, this was all minimal compared to the amazing view from our very large balcony which we spent most of our time anyways although the sliding glass doors that lead to balcony were VERY heavy. The kitchen was fully stocked with full size fridge, dishwasher, stove, microwave, coffee maker, blender, plates, glasses, utensils, even cooking pots and pans which we used a lot. The beds were very comfortable but we were told the sofa was a pull out bed which it wasn't. The front desk quickly sent a roll away bed.

A lot of time was spent at the pool and beach which the hotel has quick access to both. The pools could use a better filter system but because there is access to the beach, a lot of sand ends up it the hotel pools which made the water murky even though there's two showers provided, one didn't work and most people just ignored them anyways. The pool swim up bar could have stayed open later. We only ate at the outside grill once and its was only chicken nachos but I like the fact it was available.

The location of the hotel was great because we were very close to Schlitterbaun Water Park which we spent a day at (then back to our balcony) and if we need to cross the bridge into Port Isabella for shopping it was very close. The down side was the larger hotel next door caused early hour shade at the pool area.

We extended our stay by one day because we were so comfortable it was hard to leave. Staff over all were very pleasant and seemed genuine about any concerns we had.

Our family will be returning to Pearl because of our experience there recently.

4  Thank becauseican70

Thank you for staying with us at the Pearl South Padre Hotel. We are so glad to hear that your stay overall went very well, and we appreciate the areas we have for improvement. We hope that whenever you return to South Padre you are able to come visit us again!

Reviewed July 13, 2011

After searching what seemed like a thousand hotels, and asking friends, this place was recommended to us. We wanted a hotel with beach access and that was affordable. This fit the bill for us. Staff was very friendly and helpful. All rooms have a balcony and either a full or partial view of the beach. We had two concerns and they were answered and taken care of immediately. The pool area was huge, there was also a kiddie pool that my 6 and 3 yr old kids enjoyed thoroughly. The beach was relatively calmer in population compared to other areas of the island which was great when you have two little ones running around. All eateries are close and many in walking distance.

The only thing that didn't work right during our stay was the wifi connection. It would come in and out of service. Besides that, no problems!

I will stay there again on my next visit to SPI!!

Room Tip: They do allow pets here so if you are not a pet person, make sure to specify you don't want to b...