“Studio Apt on the Bay”

Royale Beach and Tennis Club
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This condo is called Sand Castle and it has a beautiful of the bay from the balcony. It's privately owned with a full kitchen and I loved it because it's very close to restaurants and grocery stores.
I found the unit be very clean and nicely decorated.
I took it for the windsurfing and wasn't disappointed.
You can't go wrong with this one.
I found it in VRBO under number 235305. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We spent Christmas 2012 at the Royale Beach and Tennis Club in a two-bedroom unit with our oldest son, his wife and four children.
ROOMS-very comfortable and acommodating for the entire family. We had a fifth floor end unit nearest the ocean. The rooms are delightfully designed with octagonal walls/windows for views out to the beach and ocean. The dining nook is set in a windowed area near the balcony, allowing lovely views while eating.
APPLIANCES. Builtin microwave broken, so a countertop one was placed. Dishwaher and washer and dryer all worked well. Plenty of utensils and pots and pans for cooking.
MAINTENANCE. The place is older and exhibits signs of age but is adequately maintained and clean. The entire length of the baseboards in our masterroom had a lot of brown splatter that marred the appearance of cleanliness. We could not tell what it was, but it was hard and should have been paintd over or removed. One window of several in our bedroom was a litttle dirty.
GROUNDS. The tennis courts were beautiful and well-suraced, not a crack or uneven place anywhere. The pools were nice but the hot tub had a scummy film and a little debris when we started to use it so I did not get in. I did notice that the hot tubs were cleaned each morning.
BEACH. THe beach is broad and soft here. The ocean was just a little chilly but,when the sun was out, comfortably swimmable. Our five year-old grandson and our 10 year-old granddaughter loved playing in the ocean. The waves were small but big enough for body surfing. It seemed safe for children.
STAFF. Very helpful and prompt. Always cheerful and willing.
No restaurants on property. We bought groceries at Wal-Mart which was located 10 minutes away in Port Isabella.
This is not high class luxury, but the rooms are very pleasant and the location provided a very nice beach vacation. No noise from streets or neighbors.

Room Tip: Corner room toward ocean and higher up.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Bryce04
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We rented a two bedroom two bath condo on the beach in South Padre at the Royal Beach and Tennis Club. We found the property very secure, very clean, with huge rooms, a nice kitchen, and close to the beach. Plus there were 3 swimming pools on the well kept grounds.

The staff was great, the condo comfortable and we had a terrific time exploring South Padre. We went in October and this was a great time; not big crowds, no traffic, and easy getting into restaurants. We cooked half of the time and ate out the other times. The beach is just a walk past the pools and down the boardwalk. We really like the security and the quiet surroundings.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank BastropWright
Reviewed October 1, 2012

this is such a beautiful resort .. we stayed at the Royal building. 11th floor in a 2 bedroom condo .. huge place with walk in shower and 2 baths, 3 tv's, all convinces of your home .. wonderful views off the main balcony with smaller off 2nd bedroom .. has very cool AC .. washer dryer is a major plus .. room to store everything away .. plenty of parking and security .. very family friendly .. things I would advise: the beach is a good 100 yards away so bring something with wheels to lug stuff to the beach, bring bath soap and shampoo .. things to know: 1st pool area has a bar so no outside drinks allowed but the outer 2 pools allow coolers .. gated parking for one car only .. place is close to all sorts of stuff but most you will need car .. this is a wonderful place to rent a condo .. and no kegs of beer allow for all you crazy spring breakers : )

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank margo812
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Let me start by saying that we stayed here about 14 years ago on a time share exchange. At that time we were in the efficiency and we did not like it (read the reviews form others) or the standing balcony. We were willing to give it another chance since we could get a one bedroom. The management does not maintain this building. Very sad since the layout has potential.

Here is the bad: We entered the room and were greeted with an awful smell of toxic cleaning products. I adjusted the t-stat to try and get the smell out (I have allergies) and it seemed to get a little better so we unloaded everything. These units were built in the 1980's so the furnishings reflect it. I am o.k. with that but they had curtain headers in both the bedroom and the living room that had mold/mildew on the backside of them. The side of the refrigerator had lines of rust on it, the corners of the walls had major nicks and chunks out of them, the drawers jammed, the sprinkler heads stuck out of the ceiling like they were just installed without any trim (maybe it rusted and they did not replace the metal rings?), discoloration in the shower (I did not look to see what it was), the microwave was very dated and yellow on the inside and looked like they used silicone on the inside to repair it (how safe is this?), no hair dryer - not a big deal I brought my own, no Safe - is a big deal since we were by the pool and beach a lot, (no safe or lock up in the lobby either) exhaust fan in the bathroom sounded terrible and I am not sure it worked, stainless steel sink faucet was very hard to move from one side to the other, the door to the washer and dryer had a broken hinge. The kitchen has a sliding window that opens into the hall. I tried to make sure this was locked and the middle piece was not secure. It looked like they sealed it shut at one point so I didn't worry about that so much. It looked like the walls had not been painted in 5 years. So as you can see, mostly these are maintenance items many of which I reported.

Their information packet asks that you keep the a/c at a certain temperature to help with the humidity. I am from the South but on nice days we open our windows and turn the a/c off. It looked like the original design of the unit was made for this. Again the sliding kitchen window that opens to the breezy hallway, the window in the bedroom that is now sealed shut that would have allowed for a breeze and of course the balcony doors. All I can guess is that they did not want security issues, esp. with Spring Breakers. The bathroom area has a vanity section (2 sinks) across from it a closet and then a door that opens to the toilet and shower. The door was damaged at one time and they repaired it with 2 big screws by the handle. No putty or paint on top of it just 2 big screws. There really needs to be a door to the vanity/closet area so that you can get dressed or towel off without having to close the blinds to the bedroom. If someone is sleeping and you have to turn the light on there is no door to block this and can be disturbing.

Here is the good: This puzzled me until someone explained it - The grounds look very nice. I saw maintenance people cleaning the pools every morning and yard people trimming, mowing, etc. Turns out that the company that takes care of the outside is not affiliated with the building we stayed in. That is why the quality was so different. The complex is made up of four (I think it is) condominium buildings that are privately owned and the "hotel / timeshare" building that we stayed in. We met some of the people from the condos and they were all very nice. Some were renters and came every year. The location to the beach was very convenient. The 3 pools and palapa area were nice to move around. The 4 tennis courts (again 1980's construction so I think that was a big draw at the time) seems like a waste of space. Maybe they could just have 2 courts and remodel the other area as a splash zone for kids and turn one of the 2 identical pools into an adult pool. The larger pool had an open air bar that was a great meeting place and the bartender was exceptional. Very easy going and made good drinks. Thanks Booky! There was also another spot to get food but it was not open all the time so we did not try it. The front desk workers were friendly and helpful. There is a guard gate to the parking lot and a gate code if you go to the beach from the property. We were there at off season so it was very mellow. They did have a big screen television in the living room and a separate DVD player but the bedroom had an old type small (18 or 24" maybe?) and clunky TV and a separate VCR player (1980's again). The washer/dryer in the unit did appear to be new, the bed in the bedroom was very comfortable and we did not hear any of our neighbors.

The day we left we made one load to the vehicle (with the partially broken cart) and when we returned to our unit the horrible smell was back with a vengeance. We then both got nauseated and thought we were going to be sick. We turned the air down some more and made another load (out in the fresh air) and we felt better. I do not know if fumes are being drawn in from somewhere else or the a/c filter has a problem or what. We thought it smelled like chlorine, ammonia and a few other chemicals mixed together. We will not be back unless they remodel (guys - we saw a new microwave at Walmart for $30.00 that we almost bought you) or at the very least update and do some maintenance. .

I don't see many changes happening since they seem to be able to fill the rooms especially during Spring Break and summer months. I think it could be so much nicer than it is with very little effort.

I suggest anyone looking here should research renting a condo in the other buildings first.

Hope this is useful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank TexasBat
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We traded our time share to stay here for a week. We upgraded our studio time share for a spacious two bedroom condo for very little. We were definately pleased. We had stayed her 10 years ago and the place hasn't changed much but it is a great place to bring a family. We started the week with 5 children and three adults and had plenty of room for everyone, after our friends left we had our three children in the second bedroom and we had a king sized bed in the master bedroom. You do have to realize that this is like renting a fully furnished apartment. You are given limited supplies and are expected to go the store or bring your own to last the week. The condo even has a washer and dryer so you can wash your own towels and sheets since there isn't a maid. They are very accomodating however, if you need something. We had them bring extra towels and paper towels since there were so many of us at first. The condo is located on the beach and you have the option of swimming in one of their three pools or walking down to the beach and enjoying the sand. Many people go early and set up their shelters and then go back later so if you want to enjoy the shade, you may be asked to leave if you're using someone else's shelter. Also, you can be fined if you set up shelter before 9am. Something my kids really enjoyed was finding crabs on the beach at night. Make sure to bring a flashlight and a bucket to collect them.
We also noticed that the hotel and beach was really busy Friday - Monday but by Tuesday it was very quiet.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank gjh4242
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at the Royale. My brother and sister-in-law came down for 4 days. Rooms are dated, but clean. Could use a little work. Parking was terrible. Only one vehicle per reservation. Pools and grounds were clean and well kept. I will consider this as a future destination.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family