“Don't Waste Your Money!”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I booked a two night stay for myself and my grandson at the Isla Grand because I assumed from the price of the room (299/night) and the hotel's claim to have recently completed extensive renovations that we would be staying in an upscale hotel akin to a Hilton Resort. What a huge disappointment!!

The room was very small and musty smelling and the only new items included a flat panel tv and sleep number beds which contained bed bugs (we both awakened the following morning with extenisve bites!)

Upon complaining at the front desk the next day, we waited 45 minutes to talk to a manager whose only concession was a $99 credit for the remaining night we were supposed to stay.

We left there and checked in to a Holiday Inn Express which room was twice the size of the one at the Isla Grand, was clean and fresh smelling and cost 1/2 half the price of what I paid at Isla Grand!

• Stayed: July 2010
3  Thank HotelReviewSPadre

Reviewed July 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I just returned from out trip to SPI, and I felt strongly about leaving a review for this hotel! DO NOT STAY HERE!! The website makes it look amazing... do not be fooled!!

Neither of us had been to SPI before, so we used a couple of travel websites to find a nice hotel to spend the night. We had a couple of options but decided that the Isla Grand Resort would be the nicest and most enjoyable for our stay (according to our web research). We booked the hotel over the phone and were very excited for our overnight stay at the islands "PREMIER RESORT"- total BS.

As we arrived, I was less than excited about the exterior of the hotel. My boyfriend seemed to think that there was still hope, but I was sure that we were getting ourselves into something we hadn't expected. We parked the car and walked into the lobby where we were helped right away. The young staff member at the desk gave us an itinerary, a map of the grounds and two room keys which she told us we would be fined if we didn't return. She told us to pull the car around to the side where our room was. This was the first sign.

We pulled the car around the main part of the building (where we thought we were staying) to a smaller parking lot. We looked ahead and saw a "side of the road" motel style building with room numbers on the doors. My boyfriend and I both looked at each other, died laughing and said "ARE YOU SERIOUS??" We like to stay at nice hotels but when you think you're staying at the "Premier hotel" of the island and you pull up to a run down Motel 6 looking place there is nothing to do but laugh.

We decided to check the room out before getting the hell out of there. We left our luggage in the car and walked to the door. IT SEEMED LIKE THERE WAS A HOMELESS MAN AND A DUMPSTER MISSING FROM THE SCENE.
We opened the door to a poorly decorated room with a crappy excuse for a balcony. The bathroom was tiny and overall it was NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED.
We had to make a game plan to get out of this place ASAP! There was no way we were staying in this hotel.
We spent the next 40 minutes driving around the island trying to find a nicer place and were lucky to find that the Sheraton had a room available, and they even gave us a discounted price because we told them about our HORROR story at Isla Grand AKA Motel 6.
Now that we had secured a decent place to stay we HAD to check out of Motel 6!!!
My boyfriend made up a story about a family emergency and they gave him a full refund.
We enjoyed the rest of the trip at the Sheraton, and were pleased with our accomodations there.

We read ALL of the reviews for Isla grand in the car on the way home and were thankful that we didn't stay. Someone had written something about getting bedbugs from room 204, and that was the room we were checked into!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SamSacchetti
Reviewed June 24, 2010

My family and I stayed in a 2 bedroom condo, which was ancient. Crummy furniture, moldy bathrooms, but amazingly great service. The resort is beautiful, but the condo that we stayed in was bad. We caught a peek of the room next door, and it was gorgeous. If you plan to stay there, make sure you get in one of the newly redocorated condos.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank kj999
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Like many college students, some friends and I headed down to South Padre Island for Spring Break this past year. We chose the Isla Grand hotel due to its location (it plays host to the Coca Cola Beach venue) and the location does not disappoint. Because we weren't coming down until the tail end of Texas Week (and staying through the following week), I expected the hotel to be fairly trashed; fortunately, the hotel and our rooms were very clean despite hordes of drunken college students in attendance.

The two pools are big and spacious, however the lounge chairs fill up quickly. On Wednesday night there is an Inertia Tours sponsored pool party at the Isla Grand pools. The hotel is right on the beach and the 2-bedroom condo's in the main tower offer fantastic beach-front views. There were a couple hiccups (sleep number bed didn't work, rooms were only cleaned when explicitly requested, some visible mold in the bathroom, you couldn't use both showers at once because there wasn't sufficient water pressure -- both faucets would just dribble out cold water, toilets had flushing problems), but considering my reasons for staying there, all of these were livable conditions. I'd imagine I'd be writing a distinctly different review had I been staying there for any other reason than Spring Break.

Unfortunately, as other reviewers have mentioned, the front-desk service can be terrible. I found most of the front-desk workers to be friendly and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, I had the displeasure of running into Eddie, a kid who looked fresh out of high school, multiple times throughout my stay. Eddie was not only condescending and pompous, but horribly uninformed and ineffective at his job. He openly lied to us, had difficulty understanding how someone could reserve two rooms and only stay in one, attempted to double-charge me the deposit fee and, immediately after applying a security wrist-band too tightly on one of my friend's wrist, attempted to collect a $10 "replacement wristband" fee. I strongly hope that he was a Spring Break seasonal/part-time hire because he was absolutely insufferable.

Five stars for location and relative cleanliness, -.5 for the hiccups (what's the point of having two showers if you can only use one at a time?) and -1.5 for Eddie.

Despite the three-star rating, the Isla Grand would still be the first place I'd stay at in South Padre Island for Spring Break. They're sitting on the prime location in South Padre and they probably know it, which might explain the less than ideal service.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael B
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I am a tour manager and took a small group there this past May. The hotel is BEAUTIFUL, the rooms (especially the 2 bedroom condos) were beautiful, clean, and very well maintained, beach access was easy, beautiful pool, tennis courts, shuffle board, the restaurant was superb, lots of night life available (though I didn't visit any)...BUT the front desk and the restaurant staff were so clueless and so difficult. We made all of our group arrangements through the group sales department (Shirley was fantastic!), but it seemed like every arrangement we made was not properly communicated with the front desk and/or the restaurant. Our group reservations were completely butchered by the front desk, the restaurant was not in the know about our group meal voucher program we had worked out with group sales, and the restaurant was either clueless or lied to us regarding included gratuity on our meals. (We found out at the end of the trip they had been getting tipped twice by our group: one included and one manually because they had told our group tips weren't included). The food in the restaurant is great though and it offers a great menu. The hotel is very centrally located to all things Padre and the Wave (a free shuttle that takes you any where on the island).

• Stayed: May 2010
3  Thank bonewoman
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I believe this is a older hotel that has been updated. I have no knowledge of the rooms in the high rise portion of the resort. We are in a nice ground floor room with a view of the tennis court and the ocean. The sunrises are beautiful. There is no boardwalk to the ocean and the beach sand is very hot and difficult to walk through. There are two beach showers immediately exiting the beach which is nice for getting all the sand off. There are two pools, one with a very nice waterfall. There is a poolside cabana bar that opens somewhere between 11 and 12 noon. There is a poolside grill as well but only serves ham/cheeseburgers and hot dogs and grilled chicken sandwiches and the hour of operation are variable and seem to depend on the server. The resturante is on the second floor of the hotel and overlooks the pools and the ocean. I have olny had breakfast there and it is o.k.. I forgot to mention that the pool area has a towel check out service and plenty of loungers and a few umbrellas with the loungers and some covered cabana seating areas. The pool area is very nice. Like I said, the rooms are older be nice. Our room has a king sleep number bed and it is horrible. The pillows are old and flat. Sleeping has been very uncomfortable to say the least. The bathroom is typical but nice and there is a small bar area with a small refrig.. There is a couch and coffee table as well as a table and two chairs. Our very small patio has a very small end table and two chairs but be ware of the mosquitos.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank HeavenlyBliss
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed here for 3 days and it was a beautiful, tropical place to stay. Having been employed in the service industry, we realized the first day that the Isla Grand needs to offer better training programs in customer service for it to rank up there next to the 4 and 5 star hotels.

We needed to call the front desk withn an hour of our arrival due to an issue with the plumbing and TV Remote. No one ever showed up nor called us. We patiently waited until the next day, thinking they were busy and still no one ever showed up. We thought for sure someone would have acknowledged our call and would have let us know that they would be coming later, but no.......nothing. So the next day, after we figured out what was wrong with the TV Remote, we told them not to bother with sending a maintenance man up to fix the plumbing issue since we only had 1.5 days left. We were frustrated at that point. For the price one pays, this is unacceptable.

We read the reviews before booking this place and I thought we'd give this place a try any way since it's location was the best. We were concerned due to the mix of reviews. We still would recommend this place simply because of its location and beauty. I'm also going to assume that most of the rooms would be adequate. We just feel bad that such a beautiful place is lacking so in customer service.

All this place needs is to have a good trainer in customer service explain to its staff the importance of serving the customer with an honest smile and an attitude that their customer is number one and their lively hood depends upon it.. I don't know if it is the management that is lacking or what but something is missing here compared to many other places we stayed at. I would like to suggest to the owner to get a secret shopper program going.

We just stayed at the Drury Plaza in San Antonio and maybe this place should hire their trainer to help them out because the Drury is top notch!

So Isla Grand Resort, I hope you can improve on your customer service issue because you have a beauty of a gem located right on the shores of the Gult coast. You could be a 4 or 5 star hotel IF you wanted to be one.

One thing we did love are the beautiful parrots in the cage at the front desk. They do know how to say hello and good bye. Even if someone would have asked as we left......"How was your stay?".......that would have made the entire trip that much better. Oh well, one lives and learns from each experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple