“Inconsistant Service and Facility”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Arlington, Texas, United States
“Inconsistant Service and Facility”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

NOTE: we were in the cabanas not the tower: We had reduced rates for rooms with beautiful beachfront views. Rooms were from antiquity in desperate need of re-do (plumbing varied from normal to barely working), grounds were beautiful, service sporadic in facilities (Starbucks random opening and available products), exercise room (out of water cups for 5 days, could not access sanitary wipes to clean equipment), ALL of the soft drink machines were empty for 5 days. The ATM did not work entire stay. Food in Beachcomber restaurant was good and well priced but the service personnel while very charming are not very professional. Nice gift shop with reasonable prices but only open from 8 to 5. One really crazy - most of the rooms have adjoining doors to open as suites if necessary - you might as well open them anyway since they are thin foam core and allow even low conversations to be overheard. Don't worry if you gave up smoking and miss it, the people on the patio next to you will provide all the smoke you need since each patio comes equipped with an inviting ashtray. Housekeeping can be potluck.
Bottom line: beautiful pool, grounds and beach access but facilities are two star at best and personnel, while extremely nice, do not provide quality service. To add insult, the parrots in the lobby screech so loud you have difficulty having a conversation with front desk. BIG NOTE there is no complimentary coffee in the rooms and have to go the Beachcomber -- if it is raining, the cabanas do not have covered access to the main building (restaurant, coffee) - the walk there and back can be 1/4 mile in rain. Overall: not an unpleasant stay but far from excellent property it could be. Would rule out as a business meeting venue.

Room Tip: They will let you see rooms: look for connecting rooms with thin doors (unless sound is not an issue...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Victor T
islagrand, General Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking your time and giving us your review on your recent stay. We apologize for your inconveniences. We will use your review for training purposes to improve our services. All concerns will be addressed and resolved in a timely manner. We do offer room service so our guests do not have to leave their comfort of their room (ex: early morning coffee). Ashtrays are offered on the patio to assist on keeping smoking guest from smoking in the room and keeping the cigarette buds off the property grounds. We will always keep reinvesting and remodeling the hotel, especially since we are a beachfront property. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I booked two cabana rooms supposedly right on the beach according to staff and pictures. Unfortunately, you could not see the beach or Gulf due to huge sand dunes in front of place.
The TV did not work, there was no coffee pot or micro in room, mattresses were stained but worst
of all, the Smell! It was moldy and no amount of air freshener could mask that smell. Checking in
there was only one clerk who answered phone five times before taking care of us. Staff extremely unfriendly. The bug man walked in on sister just as she got out of shower, saying he was told room empty. Lawn was being cut at 9am in morning in front of condo. I paid the premium price for these rooms because they are suppose to be the best. Except for the location of this property on South Padre, there is nothing else to recommend it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Claremore, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a cabana. Location and grounds were very nice. Room was clean and spacious with balcony. Our only negative comments would be the plumbing in the sink and shower. Really needs attention faucet almost pulling out of sink. Isla Grand has been here for more than 50 years. Having stayed in other beach towns older properties are common. I would stay here again. Also restaurant was very good.

• Stayed February 2014
Gulf Shores, AL
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Great property featuring cabana type rooms as well as rental privately-owned condominiums. We stayed in a condominium and were impressed with all of the renovations that have been done in the last few years. Since our visit 5 years ago, kitchens and baths have been upgraded and most recently HD TV service and wireless internet throughout. A major renovation of pool area featuring zero entry and state of the art lighting at night. Windjammer Restaurant offered great quality and reasonably-priced food with a wonderful view--day or night. Quarterdeck Bar provided great live entertainment with no cover charge and only an elevator ride back to our room. Staff was most helpful with questions and requests. Only adverse comment we heard was from a lady on the elevator who had rented privately and was denied access to ice machine, laundry, fitness center etc. so would recommend renting directly from Isla Grand or at least check with them to make sure if renting online that it is approved by Isla Grand to prevent disappointment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Connie B
Effingham, Illinois
Reviewed February 20, 2014

the staff at this place are just bold face liars! had reservations for 2 months in advanced. stop at hotel to confirm the reservations 2 weeks in advance. When my guest arrived the staff said they had given the rooms to some other people. Do NOT waste your time or money on this hotel!!!!

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank wally1965
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 18, 2014

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE! I wish I could give negative stars for this place. I never write reviews, even if I have had bad experiences. First, I never received a confirmation email after they charged me. Not sure if they even send those out, I emailed them to send me one in case they had my email wrong. Never heard back from anyone. Second, our battery to our door apparently wasn't working after we got back from dinner. We had to run up to the front desk three different times, which is not a super short distance if you're staying in a cabana by the beach. After an hour of being locked out, we got in. At this point it is past midnight. Next, I had a Valentines Day package that I never received. While we were locked out, I asked if I was going to eventually get my package. They informed me I was supposed to get it when I checked in. By now, there were two managers (or at least they appeared to be managers) that were pretty much helpless, apologizing for their mistake and inconvenience. I was told my package would be right up, and after waiting about another half hour I called the front desk to just forget it and cancel. It was a long day of traveling, and I did not want to be up until 2 AM waiting for that package. Didn't really matter I guess because I was AWAKEN at 2 or 3 in the morning from the front desk, asking if I had called them about the Valentines Day package I didn't get. NO, I did not! They had mistaken calling my room, for a different room. Really? "Sleep Number" beds don't work either. One last thing. There are sad and depressed parrots in the lobby that were screeching like they are in agonizing pain. If there is a long wait, hope you are not hung over when checking out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda X
Texas
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

You never know what you are going to get when the units are individually owned, and we were pleasantly surprised! Stayed in room 909 and it was really good. Clean, uncluttered and everything worked. All of the staff was very friendly and responsive.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family