“Love the Isla Grand” 5 of 5 stars

Isla Grand Beach Resort
McAllen
“Love the Isla Grand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I really love the restaurant food was awesome the server was really nice and made us feel like at home I thank Mario for the excellent service he was kind and gave us great choices on food and drinks thank you all.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank SmithaPaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Harlingen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Location for our annual conference. I had a beautiful beach front room on the second floor. The room was beautiful and the view was awesome. The bed was very comfortable and I loved the shower. I had very reliable wifi internet. The Windjammer had good food and the entertainment at the Quarterdeck Lounge was pleasant. The conference rooms were clean and well attended as always and the food provided during the conference was very good.
I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Beach front cabanas are the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was the only room that I could find on the island. I thought that made me very fortunate but upon arrival, the hotel was very old and the service was terrible. They had to issue 4 different door keys because none of them worked. None of the staff spoke English which made it very difficult to try and discuss the room issues we were having.

Room Tip: This hotel had terrible service. I would not recommend staying
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Angela B
Denton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We make a yearly trip to Isla Grand to attend a seminar and, although it definitely has some shortcomings, I always enjoy our stay. We stayed in condos this year that were very clean and well decorated. They also were very spacious, and the view from the balcony is beautiful. Each had a full-sized kitchen, though the kitchen supplies were minimal and very basic, suited our needs. Maid service was prompt each morning and the housekeepers were very friendly and pleasant. Like many other reviewers, the sleep-number bed that was touted didn't work and was stuck in such a way that it created a hard lump down the center of the bed. Another minor disappointment was that the television in the bedroom didn't get all of the channels that the one in the living room got and my request for someone to come fix it went totally unanswered.

The grounds are really quite lovely and well maintained. Although I didn't use the pools, it looked like those that did had a lot of fun.

We ordered room service most mornings and it was great . . . good food and very quick service. My experience in the restaurant wasn't quite as good. We went on the evening they featured steaks on the menu, and we found that it didn't really matter how you ordered your steak cooked . . . they all came out the same. I suspect that the steaks were cooked ahead of time and just reheated to fill order. But the restaurant staff were very attentive and the service was good.

I couldn't really describe Isla Grand as a "luxury" resort, but it's really nice, very comfortable, and located in a great spot just over the bridge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Yardley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Location for a recent conference. A hotel badly in need of a renovation and cleaning. Very nice beach after you walk through litter and cigarette butts in the sand. Rooms were musty, dark dirty and dated but they did change the sheets and linens. The bathroom was clean but poorly lit. The sleep number bed did not work and was stuck on 90. The public area around the pool was very nice, and the public area staff was courteous and friendly. The business center was severely lacking (Office 2003? on one and no internet connection on the other) and the wireless network continuously failed and 3 calls to front desk/tech support went unanswered. I was at least able to print my boarding pass. The meeting areas were acceptable (except for the Texas sized bug that ran along one of the hospitality tables) and the a/v equipment was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our family visited Isla Grand on S.Padre for a wedding. We were there for a long weekend Friday through Monday. Upon arrival we were greeted kindly and found a clean room. The rooms are a bit outdated, but we had received a special promotion price so I was okay with that. Overall our stay was very good. I think the resort itself if clean and well maintained but just needs some updating. The grounds are very well maintained and the servers at the restaurant are very friendly. You cannot beat the location / proximity to the beach. Our room was clean and the housekeeping staff again was friendly. I would stay here again but would not pay full price only because of the updating needed. Nice stay and nice resort.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor of the pool/garden suites and it was easy to come in and out to the poo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Margarita W
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Isla Grand on SPI in October of 2013. I have been in the hotel quite a few times to go to the Quarterdeck nightclub and have always wanted to stay here. I am so glad we did! We got a great Fall Getaway package and were very impressed. I loved that they had Starbucks coffee, room service, pool bar, poolside food service, nightclub, restaurant, and right on the beach.

This truly felt like a resort, everything you needed was there. We easily got taxis to go to other bars, but had enjoyed our time at the Whiskey Shack, Windjammers, and Quarterdeck. The pool area was very nice, the tiki huts always available for shade. I loved that our room was on ground level by the pool and beach. I come to the island quite a bit and Isla Grand is my preferred place to stay! Thank you! We had a very memorable time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple