“Isla (Probably Used to Be) Grand Beach Resort”

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Farmers Branch, Texas
“Isla (Probably Used to Be) Grand Beach Resort”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Isla Grand Beach Resort's location is outstanding. The beach was great (although you will want to wear sandals as there was plenty of broken glass and jagged aluminum cans around the volleyball nets). This is a family and pet friendly resort.

Check-in was fast and there was ample parking. Our second floor cabana had a nice view of the ocean, tennis courts and pool area from the balcony. The room was dated, and certainly not what I would expect for the price, but it was kept clean. Perhaps the rooms in the tower are nicer?

The one thing my family noticed throughout the stay was how unfriendly the majority of the staff were. From waiters in the Windjammer, to the bartenders in the Whiskey Shack bar at the pool to the housekeeping crew. And especially the bartenders next door to the upstairs restaurant. I only went into the bar once, as they acted as if they were quite put out having to wait on me. The bar was dead that night (Tuesday) with a table of 5 watching the live music, and 3 others sitting at the bar. I had to wait a few minutes for one of the 2 ladies working the bar to end their personal conversation and reluctantly take my order. We typically have great experiences with resort staff, as we are very friendly people ourselves. We spoke with other guests who had the same impression of the staff at the Isla Grand.

All in all, our trip was nice, but I would only consider staying here again if the rates were deeply discounted. South Padre Island was great (our first family trip here), but we were told by many that tourism was down this year (perhaps a good negotiating tool for those of you planning a trip).

Room Tip: Corner cabanas have better balcony views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Harlingen, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Our two day stay at the Isla Grand was not quite what we have experienced with previous stays. On our first night, my husband and my two daughters, one 3 years old and the baby, 5 months old, were rudely awakened by a couple involved in a domestic dispute. The dispute began at 3am and I did not get any sleep the remainder of the night. We called for security, who visited the guests twice. When that didn't work, we respectfully asked that the police department be contacted because we heard a loud slap and cries from the female. This was not spring break week or anything close to a week where you might expect rowdiness. Anyhow, the police department was ultimately called and the guests checked out that morning at 7am. I spoke with the hotel manager about the disturbance and how my little girls and I were sleep deprived. We were given a discounted rate for an additional night stay after I asked if there was any courtesy that could be extended. I thought that such an incident might result in a complimentary night stay. We enjoy the hotel and the amenities, but we are disappointed that nothing more was done to ensure that we would not hesitate to return to this hotel as guests. I would think that a hotel such as this would want to retain guests like ourselves. Just a thought. We were able to get some rest on our second night stay. Will we stay here again? We might, but not without checking into other hotels first.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Family Oriented resort with plenty of stuff for kids. Very clean rooms. Excellent staff! For the past two years, my family and I have been staying here, and we love it. Kids enjoy the stay and the beachfront scenery is awesome. Can't beat the pool along with bar next to it. And for the night time you can't beat the quarter deck with wife and kids. The resort is clean and this is the BEST place to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
South Padre Island, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Isla Grand has been an awesome place to stay. It is a family oriented resort with plenty to do for the kids and adults. The Resort is clean and all the staff will go out of the way to make your stay an awesome stay. This is the BEST place to stay!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms close to the beach are great, you don't have to walk too far to the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Herb M
san benito, tx.ot found.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have stayed at the island grand several times ad every time has been better than the last. the room was very comfortable and clean service was excellent. the acces to the beach is great and the pools great. also had a good time at the quarter deck. all in all had a great time wife and kids were happy and already making plans to return. thanks to the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at several hotels and condos on the Island over the years and I have to say that Isla Grand is the Best Place on South Padre Island. The location on the Beach, its swimming pools and the Quarter Deck is an awesome bar with Live Music.

• Stayed April 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

If I paid $150 for the room I probably would have been satisfied with this stay, but this place was a horrifying $270/night. Having stayed in some excellent hotels world wide at far more fabulous destinations for prices like $300/night, this is no comparison. The rooms look like Florida in the 1980s, compete with a rickety rusty sliding glass door and green carpet and a scratchy palm tree covered blanket. The pool area was as lovely as the pictures, but the pictures do not include the fog of cigarette smoke, this is the redneck Rivera after all, but how hard would it have been to declare one section of chairs non smoking? (Not even commenting on the flood of children, I guess I should be tolerant of the family resort nature of south padre, but my kindle was soaked by multiple mis aimed water guns). Also the shower between the beach and the pool is non functional and has clearly been non functional for a long time, so by midday the pool has overcome whatever heroic overnight cleaning efforts to become a fog of sand and dirt. The beach was lovely and close to the hotel, but they charge $30 for two chairs and an umbrella. One chair in Fort Lauderdale beach has the going rate of $5/chair why should it be more in south padre? Second for $270/night, the hotel should be providing chairs gratis, and while they are at it cabana boys running drink orders from the beach to the bar (that also didn't exist). Also the beach between the resort and water was litered with cigarette buts and bottle tops so you didn't even feel comfortable walking barefoot.

The hotel treated its guest like criminals rather than people who can afford a $300/night hotel room. This included a weird anount of security roaming the hotel grounds, strict check in at 3 pm check out at 11 am (they didn't even call housecleaning to see if a room was clean to check in when we arrived at 2 pm and seemed put out when we asked if there was a place we could change to our swimsuits and go swimming while we waited for a 3 pm check in). my favorite is the $20 fee on borrowed beach towels to ensure you return them. I've stayed in cheaper and nicer places at Disney world and Fort Lauderdale, it's the height of ego that these guys think they can get away with this room rate.

• Stayed June 2013