If I paid $150 for the room I probably would have been satisfied with this stay, but this place was a horrifying $270/night. Having stayed in some excellent hotels world wide at far more fabulous destinations for prices like $300/night, this is no comparison. The rooms look like Florida in the 1980s, compete with a rickety rusty sliding glass door and green carpet and a scratchy palm tree covered blanket. The pool area was as lovely as the pictures, but the pictures do not include the fog of cigarette smoke, this is the redneck Rivera after all, but how hard would it have been to declare one section of chairs non smoking? (Not even commenting on the flood of children, I guess I should be tolerant of the family resort nature of south padre, but my kindle was soaked by multiple mis aimed water guns). Also the shower between the beach and the pool is non functional and has clearly been non functional for a long time, so by midday the pool has overcome whatever heroic overnight cleaning efforts to become a fog of sand and dirt. The beach was lovely and close to the hotel, but they charge $30 for two chairs and an umbrella. One chair in Fort Lauderdale beach has the going rate of $5/chair why should it be more in south padre? Second for $270/night, the hotel should be providing chairs gratis, and while they are at it cabana boys running drink orders from the beach to the bar (that also didn't exist). Also the beach between the resort and water was litered with cigarette buts and bottle tops so you didn't even feel comfortable walking barefoot.
The hotel treated its guest like criminals rather than people who can afford a $300/night hotel room. This included a weird anount of security roaming the hotel grounds, strict check in at 3 pm check out at 11 am (they didn't even call housecleaning to see if a room was clean to check in when we arrived at 2 pm and seemed put out when we asked if there was a place we could change to our swimsuits and go swimming while we waited for a 3 pm check in). my favorite is the $20 fee on borrowed beach towels to ensure you return them. I've stayed in cheaper and nicer places at Disney world and Fort Lauderdale, it's the height of ego that these guys think they can get away with this room rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Isla Grand Beach Resort is the premier resort along the Texas Gulf Coast. Located right on the beach, in the southern portion of South Padre Island, the Isla Grand Beach Resort is easy to find and conveniently located near all of South Padre's top attractions. This beachfront resort has great onsite amenities such as two swimming pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, restaurants, a nightclub, gift shop, coffee shop, activities and more. With such a prime location in the heart of South Padre Island, the Isla Grand Beach Resort offers the kind of warm hospitality, inviting resort atmosphere and top-notch services sure to please business and leisure travelers alike. Be sure to ask about our special offers and package deals! From the Grand Bed & Breakfast to the Hole in One Golf package, you're sure to find one that fits your needs and budget. We're the perfect choice for your next business conference featuring 10,000 square feet of conference space. Excitement is never far at Isla Grand Beach Resort. The nearby nightclub has liver entertainment every day of the year featuring bands and musical guests from all over the United States. Whether it's business or pleasure, we're sure that you'll find what you're looking for when staying at our beautiful beach front resort. It's like a tropical getaway that's not too far from home! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Isla Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isla Grand Beach Hotel South Padre Island
- Hotel Isla Grand Beach
- Radisson South Padre Island