WINNER WONDERLAND

“Awesome location but interiors need work” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Isla Grand Beach Resort

Isla Grand Beach Resort
Texas
“Awesome location but interiors need work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Isla Grand has a lovely location right on the beach on South Padre Island. The grounds are lovely, with two pools and two sets of tennis courts right on the beach. There isn't much to dislike about the location. The rooms, though, are another matter entirely. This property, a former Radisson, is sorely neglected on the inside. The rooms are shabby and out of date with a mustiness that no amount of Febreeze can dispel. The air conditioner in the unit I was assigned was on its last legs and struggled just to remove humidity from the air. Cooling? Forget it. You can get good deals here, and if you're not particular about room quality you'll be fine. If you're sensitive to smells and need a decent mattress and air conditioning you'd do better elsewhere.

Room Tip: There are about 16 rooms right on the beach. Ask for one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 2muchstuff
islagrand, General Manager at Isla Grand Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to inform us on your stay. I want to apologize that you weren't completely satisfied. We have certain number of rooms still pending thier remodel so we can completely have our property completed. We are here to ensure all of our guests enjoy their stay and we hope we can service you on our next trip to South Padre Island.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Oxford, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here for a week. Terrible front desk curiosity, security guards are rude as any security guards i have ever met. Have never been treated as poorly as I have at this hotel in my life. The worst and most terrible hospitality I have ever dealt with of any hotel I have ever stayed at. I know its a big spring break spot but as one of the few people that actually post on this I wouldn't, and will never stay here again. I will never recommend this to anyone, let alone even mention it to anyone trying to stay in south padre island. The best part of this joke of a hotel is the elevator guides that sit in the elevator all day. Worst hotel experience of my life

Room Tip: If you are not staying with grown adults do not even consider staying here as they treat you like se...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Guest262
I would like to thank you for taking the time out to post a review. All of your concerns will be looked into and we apologize that you didn't have a great stay. Again thank you for your review and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip to South Padre Island.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

A group of my friends and I went down to South Padre for our spring break at the beginning of March. It was a great place for college spring break; lots of people, great bars/clubs, and really nice locals who'll help you find the hidden places the locals love. However, the front desk service at the hotel was absolutely terrible. They were rude, short, and very dismissive. One of our friends was unable to come at the last minute, and at one point the staff told us we would not be able to get in to our room if she didn't come. Also, checkout took an hour and a half so be prepared to wait if you're there for spring break. Overall the hotel was average but the atmosphere was insanely fun.

Room Tip: The condos in the Towers are the best for large groups.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adrienne P
Thank you for your review. I will be addressing your concerns with our staff. We here at the Isla Grand Beach Resort want to ensure that all of our guests enjoy not only their room but their entire stay. We look forward to servicing you again in the near future. We hope you enjoyed Spring Break On South Padre Island.
Mission, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have never stayed at this hotel but had always heard good things about it. I was so very dissapointed when I walked into the three bedroom we got. I felt as if I had walked backed into the 70's. The comforters were dreadful flowery and so old. The bed so stiff. The rooms smelled old. The TV's in the room are the huge fat old Tv's. The furniture is so so old worn and scratched. The view from the balcony was the black roof top from the rest of the hotel. I will tell you what the room was so bad I opted to go sleep at a friends home. Two other couples were with us that night and they shared the same experience about their room as well. I understand this place charges crazy high rates during the summer, they really need to update their rooms and make it worth while. My room number was 301, warning..............pretty bad, won't ever stay there again nor recommend

Room Tip: sure wish I could have taken photos to share
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank annabel g
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

So after a lot of search on tripadvisor, we found Isla Grand. I was very skeptical about the Beach Front Room when I booked it, hoping it would be 'beach-front', and it was!:) However this was room 162 to 164..I dont think the rooms on the other end had the same awesome view.
Room: Beach Front, the balcony opens to the beach, which is kept fairly clean..so you can walk in directly from the beach..and enjoy the ocean view allll day long!
Pluses: -The view
-we luckily got a Valentines deal..so our stay was a little more economical with the one night and another night discounted at 50% off.
-the resort feel is good, you have plenty to do here or just relax, the landscape is lovely and inviting.
-the beachfront cafe is one of the nicest spots for an amazing view of the resort with the beach in the background.

Not such a plus:
-Service is not upto the mark, we had to call and follow up to get the champagne and strawberries which were complimentary
-The beds and bed covers seemed rundown...that was my biggest complaint, just couldnt get comfortable sleep, and bet you need that on a vacation:(
-The three rooms have inter connected doors! so pray that you dont have a noisy party across.

We would go back just for the view! not for the original price though, only if we get a good deal again.

Room Tip: Try the Beach front rooms 161/162/163 for the best view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DivyaGupta1984
Odessa, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We were at South Padre Island in 2010 on vacation. It's the best area of Texas to see the blue waters of the Gulf of Mexico! They had us on the top floor in center to the side facing the beach. The Hotel has a beautiful pool area right below there then a walk way that leads out to the beach! From our baloney we could watch the waves come in from the Gulf of Mexico! How grand!!! I took my sketch journal down to the beach & did a watercolor of the beach near by. Only bad thing to come out of this was that in my hurry to get there, I had forgotten I apply sunscreen on my legs & feet. It resulted in a major sun burn that I had trouble wearing shoes for a while!! But, I ended up with a great little watercolor sketch of the beach which I'll see if I can down load it on this site. But the hotel was a wonderful place to stay with fun & beauty just steppe away!

• Stayed March 2012
Fredericksburg, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at the Isla Grand on January 13, 2013 for four nights. We have 9 month old twins and booked a 2 bedroom condo with the ocean view on the 9th floor. The view was amazing!! Our condo was so clean. We own/operate a Bed and Breakfast and we know what to look for when we stay away from home, and this place did not disappoint us. They were able to provide cribs for the twins. The towels and washcloths are soft and large. The shampoo, conditioner, and soaps in the bathroom were top of the line. We enjoyed the sleep number bed and the flat screen TV's.

This will now be our go to hotel when we travel to south Texas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family