We went to the Isla Grand as part of a convention, and then stayed for a few extra days just the two of us. For SPI, this is a really nice place to stay. Beautiful beach, beautiful pools with the bar right there, convenient central location, relaxing vibe, great dance band in the bar, reasonable drink prices . . . . for a Texas resort, this is my kind of place.
However, do not think of this as a Four Seasons type of resort. It was built in the 70s probably, and looks it. Nothing is in tip-top shape, but nothing's that bad either. And it's clean and well-kept.
There are two sections: motel-like rooms and condos. We stayed in one of the second story rooms with a balcony that faced the ocean (248). The view was absolutely gorgeous head on. However, laying in the bed, you couldn't see the ocean and were looking at other people's balconies. Why the bed isn't on the other wall is a mystery.
As one of the other reviewers noted, bed was a Sleep Number, but our controller didn't work, and we didn't worry about it too much. Also the sink stopper didn't close and the toilet is practically in the bathtub. And lots of people complained that there were no coffee pots in the rooms. Whatever. None of that seemed to impinge on just how nice it was to be there. And we did have a good size safe and an empty, working fridge - both of which I think are more important than the other things!
The pools (as you can see from the pics) are just lovely. Lots of room, lots of sun, plenty of chairs (a little run down, but fine), and some nice umbrellas for those of us who need some shade.
The beach is a vast stretch of white with bluer water and bigger waves than I've seen anywhere else in Texas. No water shoes necessary here! However, if you want a beach chair, that's $10, and I don't know how much they charge for umbrellas. But there were a couple of Enforcers there making sure you didn't just take advantage of using them free! I didn't find out whether the chairs and umbrellas were associated with the Isla Grand, or were just somebody's concession along the beach. Just factor in that if lounging on the beach is in your trip description, you've got to pay to play.
All in all, I really thought it was great. I like to tell people who read my reviews the bad along with the good because what's not a big deal to me might be very important to somebody else. The crowd was everybody from the DAs at the convention, to a wedding party for a couple of forty-somethings, to a few families with kids, to some very athletic-looking couples, to some seriously redneck folks, and middle-class Mexican nationals there on vacation.
Quiet, pleasant, friendly, clean, big pool . . . I was definitely very happy for a week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Isla Grand Beach Resort is the premier resort along the Texas Gulf Coast. Located right on the beach, in the southern portion of South Padre Island, the Isla Grand Beach Resort is easy to find and conveniently located near all of South Padre's top attractions. This beachfront resort has great onsite amenities such as two swimming pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, restaurants, a nightclub, gift shop, coffee shop, activities and more. With such a prime location in the heart of South Padre Island, the Isla Grand Beach Resort offers the kind of warm hospitality, inviting resort atmosphere and top-notch services sure to please business and leisure travelers alike. Be sure to ask about our special offers and package deals! From the Grand Bed & Breakfast to the Hole in One Golf package, you're sure to find one that fits your needs and budget. We're the perfect choice for your next business conference featuring 10,000 square feet of conference space. Excitement is never far at Isla Grand Beach Resort. The nearby nightclub has liver entertainment every day of the year featuring bands and musical guests from all over the United States. Whether it's business or pleasure, we're sure that you'll find what you're looking for when staying at our beautiful beach front resort. It's like a tropical getaway that's not too far from home! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, TravelClick, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Isla Grand Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isla Grand Beach Hotel South Padre Island
- Hotel Isla Grand Beach
- Radisson South Padre Island