Claytons Resort
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our family recently rented the entire resort for a reunion and it was great! The rooms are cute, some with original bathrooms and fixtures. My only complaint is the amount of traffic that cuts through the resort to get to the restaurant and beach. They need to gate the front entrance and have better security at the boardwalk gate. We had to throw alot of people out.

The pool has a shelf-like shallow end and a nice deep area. But there is no shade around the pool.

The new deck area attached to the bar/restaurant blocks the view of the beach but is great people watching.

The beach vendors seem to occupy the entire area in front of the restaurant, so if you want a prime spot you have to beat them out. But they will still plop people down right on top of you anyway. Better to drive further down the beach to get to open space.

Room Tip: Room 6 is the large and very private with 2 queens beds and a sitting area. Room 1 is also very larg...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Staci T

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I really enjoyed this small no-frills hotel. It has a fifties feel to it, the rooms are large, the bed was comfortable and it was VERY clean. I was happy with the selection. They do not allow children, so it is good for adults but not good for families. There is a large restaurant/bar cabana and deck between the beach and the hotel which takes away views to the beach that were once there. On Friday and Saturday nights there were bands so it was loud into the late night, so if you are looking for a party beach experience with no kids, then this is the place for you. My only criticism is that they did not offer wifi. They are real laid back for check in/out and often there is no one in the office so you call them and they come. If you are impatient and like a lot of services, this is not your hotel. I enjoyed the Clayton's cabana beach bar too. They have plenty of parking and they protect one space for each registered guest.

Room Tip: I was in room #1 which is closest to the beach and has glass on two sides. It has a love seat and co...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bradb1108
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Turning a 1950's retreat center into a small resort/hotel offers a good alternative to the large hotel and condominiums where one feels packed in with the hundreds of other vacationers. It has some of the best access to the beach, and definitely good access to Clayton's Beach Bar. Yet, with the Beach Bar standing squarely between you and the beach, it still has a pretty good private retreat feel to it.
The negatives are that the owner doesn't want to put mini refrigerators or microwaves in the rooms, nor is it really equipped for Wifi. If you are close enough to the office you can pick up a weak signal, and outside you can get a weak signal from a neighboring hotel. Still, it is not reliable.
Concerning the microwave and refrigerator, what hotel doesn't have them anymore? I suppose the owner wants us to purchase everything at his bar, but come on, no place to store a coke or pop some popcorn? Also, there is no coffe available until the office opens at 9:00AM, a little late if you need coffee to wake up.
So. With all that said, it is worth considering for the beach access, Beach Bar and the intimate feel. If you do, follow my suggestions: bring a cooler (you can get ice from the bar), bring your own coffee pot, and bring a good attitude about the music and fun at the bar on weekend evenings.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 11 have sitting areas and thus are larger. Room 1 has been updated and has a slightly bet...
1  Thank Cowboy0
Reviewed May 20, 2012

the rooms were really nice and big we were in room 11 a King Suite... Clean. If I were to go back to South Padre I would try and stay again..

1  Thank Jeannene
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We've spent many days at Clayton's Beach Bar and Grill/Resort over the past year. It’s an older hotel, with no flash or sparkle, but that’s not a bad thing. Lydia in the office is kind and helpful. The woman who cleans the rooms was beyond sweet. There are differences between Clayton's and other hotels, but the differences are just differences not negatives so to speak.
The rooms are all very different. There are twelve rooms and you need to look at the pictures closely to determine what you need or want. We've stayed in rooms 1, 2, 3, and 8.
Room 1 is a king suite and spacious. It has a small dining table and a sitting area. It can also connect to room 2, which has two queens and is also spacious. Room 3 is a smaller version of room 2. Room 8 is tiny with no closet. I loved the fact that the room had a sky light and it was sunny all day. If you want to sleep in, then room 8 is not for you because you can’t block out the sun. There are a couple of rooms that are in the back corners. I’m not sure I would love to be in the corner, but you don’t spend much time in your room anyway.
I saw people on the roof. I believe there might be an access point to go up and get a better view of the ocean.
I wish the hotel allowed children. You can take children if you book all the rooms, but then you need to plan way in advance because if even one room is booked by someone else, then no kids allowed. I hope to return with my kids some time soon.
Bring your own toiletries including soap. You might even want to bring a coffee pot, large beach towels/blankets, and an ice chest. You can rent chairs and a beach umbrella on the beach, but the cost adds up ($25 for two chairs and an umbrella per day). I recommend bringing beach/pool chairs and an Easy Up if you have room in your car.
The food at Clayton’s Bar and Grill is delicious. We tried most items on the menu and we weren’t disappointed. I would love to see some better live music. It’s relaxing to sit on the deck watching the waves while listening to live music. You can get free ice from the bar. The pool area is small and not fancy, but it is still relaxing. There is no spa. There are large flat screen TV’s in the rooms, which is nice after a long day in the sun. No fitness center, but ride the waves for a while each day and you will get a workout.
I will stay here many times over the next year. Clayton’s is my slice of Heaven.

Room Tip: Book two rooms. Room 1 and room 2 - connected. King, two queens, sofa, dining table, two bathrooms.
1  Thank Kate O
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Imagine our suprise when we start up to our room and see a big deck blocking the water. The pictures all show a view and was the major reason we settled on claytons. Our room was nice but sparse. The bathroom was good but there was no soap. The staff was very friendly. I would stay there again because I like that it is small. They should have told us the view was gone but at least we could still get to the beach.

Room Tip: Room 7 is the only one with a view of the water (barely).
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed here the second weekend of April for our early anniversary and the actual hotel met our expectations of what we saw online. There are only about 12 rooms though so be specific about your needs when you make a reservation. Some rentals are small and others are larger with more rooms. Also some directly face the beach and a couple are tucked in the corner with not as nice a view.
Overall, we had so much fun it was almost like being at an all inclusive. We would get up in the morning, walk out 40 yards to the beach to watch the sunset. Then we would get breakfast and then park ourselves at the beach in front of the hotel. I recommend renting the chairs and umbrella from the guy at the beach (his umbrellas are wedged down into the sand and won't buckle under the wind). If you get up early enough and stake your area you can avoid the bartenders preventing you from carrying your ice chest across the big beach deck. Otherwise you have to take it all the way around the bar.
The bar at Clayton's was awesome; half shaded, half sunny with a full bar, restaurant for lunch and dinner, and a small stage for the live music that played all weekend. The food was really good too. We had seen reviews about the bar being too noisy at night but we went the weekend there was a biker rally and the only noise we heard from our room was several hogs leaving the hotel at closing time and revving up their engines :)
We were pretty much barefoot the whole time we were there, making a trail from our hotel room, to the bar, to the beach. The pool was small but refreshing and though it was not the newest, most upgraded place we've seen--it was cozy and quaint. We also like the idea of helping out the little guy and keeping small businesses alive. The La Quinta next door had a sad little beach bar while ours was hopping!!
We had plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. for our stay. Yes, there is communal coffee so if you need a special frappalappamochalatte you will have to drive down the street to the nearest coffee shop.
We would definitely go here again and really enjoyed our stay. Staff was friendly and accommodating, rooms were neat and clean. Good value for the room. I almost didn't want to write this review so it didn't become the next big thing but I want it to be around for years to come so please go here and support local!!!

Room Tip: Look online at all the room numbers and descriptions; when making your reservations be specific abou...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple