“Brownsville Boat Tour”
Review of Osprey Cruises

Osprey Cruises
Ranked #4 of 44 Tours in South Padre Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Osprey Cruises offers a variety of water-related activities and attractions. Deep Sea fishing trips aboard Osprey 1 and Osprey 2. Bay fishing trips aboard Bay King and Buccaneer. Bird watching cruises. Sightseeing cruises. Boat rides. Dolphin watching cruises. Nature and eco trips. Sunset cruises. Fireworks cruises. Osprey Cruises and Black Dragon are the top ranked boating attractions by visitors to South Padre Island area.
L4r4k3
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Brownsville Boat Tour”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We took the four hour boat trip of the Brownsville harbour and to the Texas Gold Shrimp dock.
Lucky for us we had a beautiful sunny day although not hot. This cruise was purchased as a show special by friends of ours so we apparently got it at a reduced rate. The young people on the boat serving the chips and doing the talk did a good job. One fella spent most of the trip on his cell phone either playing games or checking messages--he certainly was not "engaged" in working for the tips. The young lady doing the general talk although as she admitted new did a very good job and was very informed about the pitfalls of farm raised shrimp as opposed to local fresh not farmed shrimp. Was the trip worthwhile?? Yes but the trip went out at 11 and we returned for "lunch" at three and it was slow being served and the reason was there were so many regular customers they could not get to us!! Poor!! They had all our orders before we left at 11 and they knew when the boat was returning so thumbs down on that part of the trip. I think reduce the cost of the trip and either supply boxed lunches or head out earlier and no lunch and decrease the cost some more.

Visited February 2014

Rugby, North Dakota
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“this cruise could be better”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Four in our group attended the Port of Brownsville tour. The price is reasonable and includes supper. And we were fortunate to see 'hitchhiking' dolphins around our boat. But the PA system is very badly in need of improvement. we missed so much of the information because we either could not hear or understand what was being said. Also one of the presenters was apparently new to the job and needed more rehearsing. We also would have been interested to hear more about the ships in port. The method for serving the chips/salsa could also be improved.

Visited February 2014
League City, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not a great trip, but the manager owned it!”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I am gearing up for multiple trips throughout 2014 and the South Padre Island and surrounding areas is my target. I have been reading the negative comments about the Osprey and the Osprey II and some I can believe, some posts…not so much.

This is an honest post and I hope it helps future vacationers because I am going back (fishing) on the Osprey in Port Mansfield this year even though my first trip on the Osprey in South Padre Island was horrible.

Why? Well, I will tell you. I am the type of person that I give everyone a chance until they prove otherwise. Back in 2011 I took a family vacation where my middle son is an avid fisherman like his Dad.

We ate dinner one night at a restaurant where the Osprey runs out of. We made a reservation to go on a night bay fishing trip and we were ready to murder some trout and maybe even some redfish.

Well, we get to the dock and this short Hispanic guy who was the Captain was over 30minutes late pulling out of the dock; however, the employees went on and on about how everyone needed to be on time because the boat was leaving out of the dock as scheduled...really? So, do as I say and not as I do was the sentiment I was feeling.

So onward to the fishing, the Captain was a witty guy and joked about everything, but seemed fake and his mannerisms rubbed off on the deck hands as well. This went on for hours in an overcrowded boat, and then the voyage just turned into a boat ride where the trip was cut-off over an hour earlier than scheduled.

I was not a happy camper (or fisherman in this case) and to add insult to injury, the deckhands that were cleaning the fish we caught (a few sand trout and Whiting) made sarcastic comments on how we (everyone on the boat) had a great night of fishing.

Oh, this pushed me over the edge, and I was not going to take this one lying down. I went to the main office where we purchased the tickets and I wanted to speak with someone of authority to tell them of this and just leave it at that.

The General Manager at Osprey/Black Dragon Cruises was a fair and decent man. He listened to my complaints and understood that you do not treat your customers this way. As I walked out the door, The General Manager met me at the door and offered me another fishing trip, but I was on my way back home in the morning.

So, The General Manager, immediately put me and my entire family on the Black Dragon Pirate Ship for the day free of charge. I was not expecting this, but my entire family was satisfied (although another trip would have been better to me) and had a wonderful time.

Sometimes, we as customers tend to have unrealistic expectations when we go on vacation. Osprey cruises cannot control, catching fish, the weather, and/or getting seasick. It’s just the chance you take when you go fishing.
That being said, I feel that my complaints made to the General Manager were valid because, in my mind, you can still have a nice day of fishing not catching anything when you have a crew that is professional, nice, courteous, and polite.

So, that is why I am giving the Osprey another go, because good or bad, the management made things right which is what a reputable business should do for its paying customers. I will see you guys in March 2014. I can’t wait.

And for those who are wondering…The answer is, NO. I do not work for this company and I am a happy customer despite having a bad fishing trip.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank Willie J
Owen Sound, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“"What a great trip with the crew from the Osprey"”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

On Monday the 27th of January 2014, my wife, a buddy and I went out on a Red Snapper fish out of Port Mansfield on the Osprey.

We left the docks around 7:30 pm. The crew of three (3) and the Captain were amazing. They had a great sense of humor and were polite and explained everything to do to make the trip enjoyable and safe.

About 10:00 am we pulled into the one and only stop in about 75-80 feet of water and dropped our lines. All three of us landed a number of red snappers and finished with 4 snappers each (limit). The entire boat in fact limited out (22 fisherman on board) in less than 1 1/2 hours and we headed back in. The crew worked very hard and were running all over helping the fisherman with fish and untangling lines.

While we were fishing there was a school of dolphins that kept circling the boat and kept my wife occupied taking pictures. This worked out great that we saw lots of dolphins as well as catching lots of Red Snappers.

We then headed back in and upon arrival at the dock, we unloaded our gear and got our big cooler out of the vehicle and loaded up our fish after a number of photos

I would highly recommend this boat and its crew. We plan to go out again and will try and get some of our other friends to come out with us.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank FishfinderOntario6
Bloomington, Minnesota
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Dolphin cruise OK”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The boat only goes out in between the Jetties near the most populated areas of the Island so it's not fantastic scenery or anything, but we saw some dolphins and had a decent time. Netted marine life was mildly interesting. Overall, it's worth the price but not spectacular. Sunsets are spectacular in that area though. Osprey Cruises leaves out of Pier 19 which is close to Dolphin Cove so they probably have the best location for this type of cruise. The bay fishing is done right near there too. I did a bay fishing trip with the Danny B which has to travel further to get out there. Next time I'd choose Osprey fishing just for the location. Going after Whiting and Sand trout is kinda boring, but I talked to one of the bay fishing captain's while we were on the Pirate cruise together, and he said he liked to go near the Jetties to give his customers a shot at Redfish. There's another reason to choose Osprey next time. I saw the fish they caught on the Deep sea trips too. Some really nice Red Snapper and Mahi Mahi. Deep Sea trips look like more fun to me. Maybe next time. Forking out the money for a private guide on the bay side would be fun too. They can target Redfish, Sea Trout, and even Tarpon. There's a spot under the bridge where people catch Sea Trout and the bay fishing charter boats go right past there, but can't really give you a chance to fish it. Guide's are more expensive but the fishing would be much better than a bay charter. I want to do a Deep Sea trip with Osprey next time though. That looks like the best trip they have.

Visited June 2013