“Good, not great”

Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The Hilton Garden Inn on SPI is good, but not great. We had a room with a "partial" view of the Gulf of Mexico on the 4th floor. The room was a non-smoking room, but had a faint smell of cigarettes. The blackout curtains did not completely keep the morning sun out in the early morning. Otherwise, the room itself was fine. Nothing special, but met our basic needs. (If you're a coffee drinker like me, you'll probably find the coffee provided in the room to be of poor quality, but such is the case in many hotels).

The staff was very friendly, but strangely, consistently lacking in follow through. The safe in our room didn't work, so we called down to the desk and they said they would send someone right up. After a few hours, we called again and they sent someone (who did a nice job fixing it and initially refused a tip, but accepted when I insisted). We asked for towels for the pool and were told that they were out, but that some would be ready in 30 minutes. They offered to bring some out to the pool for us, but never did. We had a few more examples like this-- friendly and offering to help, but no follow through.

Pool was large and clean, with two hot tubs (over the course of our 3-night stay, one hot tub stopped working). Hotel has it's own short boardwalk to the beach, which was nice. Restaurant looks mediocre, so we didn't try it. Frozen drinks from the bar were pretty good, and about $8 each.

Fitness room: small, limited, and smelled of cat urine.

Note: we pre-paid for our rooms with a no-cancellation clause, which gave us a little bit of a price break. Would probably stay there again, given the great location and adequate room for the price.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonLasser

Reviewed October 7, 2011

Our 2nd visit this year to Hilton Garden Inns. The best access to beach... beautiful, clean pool and hot tubs... good food and excellent service in on-site restaurant.

Only complaint to front desk went unaddressed all 3 days... no hallway A/C on 4th floor. VERY hot while the other 3 floors had air conditioning in halls. Front desk staff always said it would be handled, but after 3 days it was still was not. When I asked clerk once again at checkout, he said, "Yea, I asked about it, but I guess it just wasn't fixed". Still recommend hotel... just know the front desk service can sometimes not be the most customer-oriented.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Ok, first time to South Padre. This place is the best spot. Spend a little more money and get full ocean view. It is worth it. Service was outstanding. Only thing that I didn't like was the room smelled like an old cigerette. My wife hates the smell of cigerettes. All around was absolutely awesome - we will be back!!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank fraczilla
Management response:Responded October 7, 2011

Thanks for the great review! Our hotel is a 100% smoke free hotel therefore we are diligent in maintaing this environment. Your review was helpful, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have been going to SPI for a conference on an annual basis for more than 15 years. I've stayed at several places throughout the years and, most recently, made the La Quinta my home. Well, I've moved and plan to make the HGI my permanent place of hotel residency. I had read the reviews and, as the day grew closer, I began to feel a little skeptical. But I stayed the course and kept my reservation at HGI and will never regret it. From the minute you walk up to the front desk, you are taken care of. The restaurant offerings were good and cooked properly. The place was immaculate, the pool area very nice, accesss to the beach was convenient, and the room was superior. My balcony, although not facing the beach, allowed me full sunset views and offered 4 chairs on which to sit and enjoy the sun sinking into the bay, while sipping a chilled glass of wine. The huge walk in shower was an unexpected surprise and all the toiletries were restocked every day. There may not be many of you out there that give this a rating but, when it came time to rinse the shampoo out of my hair, I was left with squeaky clean hair....I cannot tell you how many hotels I've been to that when I get through washing my hair, I feel like there is shampoo residue left. Hate That! Well, back to the room, very comforatble bed, huge room, nice sitting area and work area. Plenty of clothes hangers and closet space. Very nice set up with frig, microwave, coffee maker, cabinet w/drawer.
However, the one thing that I have to agree with other reviews on is that noise traveled from the next room and from the hall. Another convention was coming in the day before I left and at approximately 5:15 AM, the couple next door must have finally made their way back to their room because I was awakened by a very loud and horrible rendition of a song better suited for a strip club. I would have called downstairs but Ionly had an hour before my alarm was due to go off...which I let it do and let it buzz for a few extra minutes...on accident. Hope it didn't disturb anyone....

Room Tip: You'll pay more for a beach view but you'll also be right above the pool area. I enjoyed th...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Nancy M
Management response:Responded October 7, 2011

Thank you for your wonderful review! We're very sorry about the noise and will do our very best to ensure no other guest experiences that issue. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Great place for the money, excellent service, was there from september 23 to september 25 for Doctor Hospital at Renaissance medical conference, food is good, personal goes the extra mile to satisfy the customers, rooms clean, pool very good, private acces to beach, so far the best I know from South Pader island.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Management response:Responded October 7, 2011

Thanks for the great review! We hope you'll come and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have been to South Padre Island four times and I wish I would have been staying here from the beginning. This Garden Inn is nice, new, and has good employees who work to make you feel welcome. My stay was for 1 night, but once i arrived in the early afternoon, I didn't leave the property.
The front desk staff have been trained well to greet their guest with smiles and they do a great job of making you feel important. For any need I had during my stay, each of them answered the call with kindness and professionalism.
The rooms are big and have a Samsung LCD television. There is also a microwave and mini-fridge. I didn't have a ocean view room, but my balcony was large enough for three chairs. The beds can be adjusted according to comfort firmness. All of the linens and are quality.
I did take advantage of the restaurant. The choices were good and the prices were reasonable, and there was a nice selection.
There is a wooden walk all the way to the beach. The pool, which is on the water side of the hotel, is large with plenty of places for lounging. Pets are allowed for a $25 fee. This Hilton is one of the northern most properties on the island.

I live 75 miles from "The Island." In my four stays I have stayed in condos and hotels. This Hilton is the best overall experience and I will make this property my first choice when planning my next trip.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank fquinter
Management response:Responded October 7, 2011

Thank you for your kind works about our staff, rooms, and restaurant. Thank you for choosing The Hilton Garden Inn, and we hope to see you on your next visit to South Padre Island!

Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend, and fell in love with this hotel. It is on the north end of the island which is less crowded - just our style. The first thing we noticed was how well lit the parking lot was, so we felt our car was about as safe as it could be. The hotel lobby was well appointed, clean, and welcoming. When we made it to our room, we couldn't believe how LARGE it was. We had a lot of belongings with us (ice chest, beach chairs, suitcases, bags of towels and groceries, etc.) and we never felt like we were tripping over our own things, which is usually how hotel rooms make us feel. The bed and linens were exceptional, which was especially great when we came back to the room sunburned one day, and decided to spend a whole evening in the room. We ordered room service, and our dinner was wonderfully prepared, with large servings. Thank goodness for the refrigerator in our room, as we ate our leftovers for lunch the next day. Staff was very, very attentive, the grounds and pool were exquisite, the buffet breakfast was delicious...everything about our stay was great. We highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay just outside the hustle and bustle of the rest of the island.

Room Tip: If there is a function in the ballroom (such as a wedding reception), ask for a room that is not loc...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank njzermeno
Management response:Responded October 7, 2011

Thank you for the wonderful review! We're glad you were completely satisfied with your room, and we're sorry for any inconvenience a function at the hotel might have caused you. We hope to see you again on your next visit to South Padre Island!