“Caution!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island
Austin, Texas
“Caution!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

Caution!!! The night before I planed to leave, the hotel hosted two weddings. The front desk gave me a letter stating that if the noise was disturbing my sleep that I should inform them and they would immediately handle the problem. Midnight came but the noise continued. The guests continued their party in the room next to mine. It took management four hours and a police escort before they could resolve the problem. The police escort was due the guest really acting crazy and management was slow to control the drunk and crazy guests. I actually to demand a full refund. Management would not give me a refund but offered 50% discount for the night I lost sleep.

Also, the hotel restaurant food was not good so I would find another place to dine.

The beach allows dogs and I saw them pee and poop right on the beach so please use a towel or mat. The pet owners did not pick up the poop. Their is a guy on the beach that rents umbrellas and pool seats for $25. The guy picks up up his seats and umbrellas at 6pm.

The hotel was pretty clean and on the beach so that was a plus.

2 Thank osoaustin
, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
We sincerely apologize that your stay was not enjoyable. We hope you are pleased to know that we have addressed all of the problems you encountered during your stay.

We do appreciate your kind words about the hotel and we hope that you stay with us again and allow us to prove that we can provide excellent service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Korean first
Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

As a diamond member, I see all of the Hilton properties. This is a new property, but you can tell it is wearing very quickly. Overall service was average, just not the Hilton standard that I have come to expect. Good luck

3 Thank travelnow39
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

As a frequent visitor and former condo owner on south padre island we have stayed at many different condo rentals and also hotels. The Hilton Garden Inn was by far the cleanest, best maintained and most comfortable place we have stayed with exception of our own condo which we owned for 5 years.

Beds were A+
Room size and layout A+
Pool was large and clear and clean.
Food quality was ok, nothing to rave about. But the breakfast buffet was a great deal for the island and smelled very good ( we eat at a regular spot )

Unless yournroom is facing the
La Quinta which is about 10 or 12 feet away the view is good of the bay or if you get the north facing balconies you get a ocean and beach view, the rooms near the pool face the ocean directly.

The bar is well stocked down stairs but stay away from the pitcher drinks, they taste very watery and can sense little..emphasis on the Little alcohol. For 20 dollars plus tip they are a huge huge rip off. But the single order drinks are tasty if you order them inside, pool side delivered are watery and sub par.

We will be back for sure, over all this is a great value for island beach front location even if it is way way down the island. Also very pet friendly place, saw lots of cool dogs while there. Next time we will take our Pug. Last place we stayed before this was the Pearl, formerly the Sheriton. The Hilton was much cleaner and the rooms way nicer.
Hope this review helps.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Rali78023
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We hope that you'll stay with us again soon!
Castroville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Just got back from SPI. The Hilton was great. The customer service was awesome, considering our trip was last minute and they gave us a great deal! The room was just right for our family of four, but will book a junior suite next time, just for the extra space. The pool and beach were never crowded. We didn't try the restaurant but heard it was good. Our toddler loved the kiddie pool with the waterfall. We had the best time!!!

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Belinda M
, Owner at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thanks for the wonderful review! We hope that you'll come and stay with us again soon!
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I should start out by saying I have never written a review for anywhere I have ever stayed, because as someone who is low-maintenance when it comes to traveling I've had my fair-share of disappointments, but always thought the experience is what you make it. However, I am compelled to share just how awful this hotel was to try to help out anyone thinking of staying here, so no one has to go through what I did.

I booked this hotel in November through Priceline and got (what I thought) was a very good deal. I was traveling with three other women for a girls trip and we all wanted to share a room, but Priceline didn't give me the option of choosing "# of adults" so I went ahead and called the 1-800 number just to make sure it wouldn't be a problem. The customer service rep told me it was no problem at all that 4 people were staying as long as I requested 2 beds (which I did). However, just to be safe, I called Priceline again a week before our reservation. This time they told me it is no problem, but call the Hotel to let me know so they can get the room ready for 4 people. So I called the Hilton and confirmed my reservation and told them there would be 4 adults staying in the room. The hotel receptionist told me it was no problem and they would be ready for us.

When we arrived to the hotel, I was checking in (since the reservation was under my name) while my friends paid the taxi driver and got the luggage together. Everything was alright until the man at the front desk asked if all 4 of us were staying in the same room, when I replied that we were and that I had called to confirm a week earlier, he told me we would have to pay extra for the other 2 guests. I was outraged and immediately asked to speak to the manager, who was dismissive and rude and told me he would need the name of the person I spoke to, and when i said I didn't remember the name and didn't think I needed documented proof of a conversation, he smiled and told me "then you need to pay $150 extra per person." I went through my phone to find the call history of when I called the hotel and showed it to him that I had made the call to the hotel on the day I said I did, and again he smiled and told me "too bad." So we paid the extra money (what choice did we have) and just wanted to get to our room, when we were told we needed to wear wristbands at all times to prove we are staying at the hotel. My anger level skyrocketed and I was too worn out to fight anymore, so I let them strap it to my wrist, thinking it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal. Wrong again. Every time I laid out by the pool a creepy security man wearing Terminator sunglasses would come around to all the young women in bikinis and ask to see their wristband. Even one morning when I feel asleep in my chair, I was woken up by this 350 pound man grabbing at my wrist, which was under my head, demanding to see the wristband. (I mean what the hell?)

The room was fairly clean, except there was an interestingly placed "hand-print" on the headboard of my bed (GROSS), that the cleaning staff neglected to wipe off. Bathroom was nice but even though they obviously knew 4 people were staying in the room, they only brought 3 clean towels EVERYDAY. We had to call to ask for a fourth towel so we all could shower, which some days took 2 hours to finally get.

We ordered room service one night we were too tired to go out and it never came, then when we went downstairs to the "restaurant" (food was edible at best) and asked where our order was, they told us they had never gotten a room service order from us. Pissed off and hungry, we put another order in right there and waited to bring it up to the room ourselves. About 5 minutes after we returned to our room, (nearly 2 hours after we originally ordered room service) a man knocked on the door saying he was room service and had all the food we ordered on a tray. We showed him that we already had gotten our food downstairs, and he insisted we still pay for the food he had. When I said absolutely not, he threatened to charge us anyways. Then two hours later (around midnight) we were all asleep and our room phone rang and it was a waiter from the restaurant, telling me someone put our order on his account and that we need to pay him so the hotel doesn't make him pay for it. I said we already paid for the food we got and he demanded that we prove it with receipts (Mind you this is at MIDNIGHT!) Luckily one of us paid with a credit card, so I got out of bed, got the receipt out of my purse and read him the transaction number. She said ok, and hung up. I went back to bed, but was woken up by the phone ringing, now at 12:30am, with him asking for those receipt numbers again. At this point, I said screw you, don't call this room again, and went back to bed.

I could go on, but I hope you get the point by now. DO NOT STAY HERE. I will never make this mistake EVER again. It is criminal how they treat their customers. I would expect more from a Motel 6, much less a Hilton.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
15 Thank MES040
, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
We sincerely apologize for your poor experience during your stay at our hotel. There should have been no problem in giving you the room which you requested and we are taking the necessary steps to remedy that disparity between our hotel and third parties, such as Priceline. Since March, our restaurant and in-room dining services have improved greatly, and we'd hope you give us one more chance to prove it.

As a notice, and to anyone reading this response, staying during the months of March and April is considered Spring Break season on South Padre Island, when thousands of college students, on their Spring Break, converge on the island at once. As such, we apply necessary policies to ensure the safety of all of our guests. These include safety deposits, extra-person fees (to control the number of occupants in rooms), security guards, and wristbands (to keep non-guests off premises at night).

Nonetheless, there is no excuse for the dip in service during this period and we are working very hard to ensure that our guests have the ideal experience during this high-volume period. We hope that you stay with us once again, as we have addressed many of the issues you have specified and we may prove that we can provide the ideal experience.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

We were very dissapointed with this hotel. The room was dirty and smelly, and the service was the worst I have ever seen in a hotel. We felt there was no one there that cared about their job, or about the guests. The staff was indifferent, to say the least, never greeted us or asked us how we were, and if there's anything we needed help with. They were always either looking down at their desk, chatting with each other, or just doing anything but greet and welcome the guests around them. Other guests we have spoken to felt the same way. A total lack of interest in being warm and hospitable.
We couldn't believe these people were actually holding jobs in the hospitality business. But the worst part of course was to condition f the room.
We arrived at around 9:00 PM with 3 kids, after an 11 hour long drive, to a musty odored damp and dirty looking room, with crumpled sheets. Both beds looked like they have been sleeped in, and were never changed. When we asked for linen changes, a guy who didn't speak english was sent up with an insufficient amount of sheets for a suite sleeping 5 people, and handed them to me. when I called downstairs to ask if they will be sending housekeeping to make up the beds, I was told there is nobody in housekeeping, that they all went home. So there I was exhausted after driving 11 hours, changing sheets on 3 beds. The carpet was filthy and had several black gooey stains. The walls had various poorly matched paint patches all over. Other walls were dirty and scuffed with no attempt to patch up. The hallway carpet at our door was dirty with crumbs and dust, since the day we arrived, and for days after. It looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks.There was an unpleasant musty odor, accompanied by a dampness in the room. One of the foam matress covers, with the proclaimed state of the art sleep technology, had a torn zipper, causing the broken zipper to reposition on top of the mattress and hurt when lying on it. When my husband called to tell the front desk, they kept putting him off, saying they are working on it, they will see what they can do, but never got back to us. We spent the entire 5 days on that mattress.
We always got only 3-4 towels in the room, despite the fact that we are 5 people. So on a daily basis we needed to call for a few extra towels. Some days it took 10 minutes, and other days it took 1 hour. When a family of 5 comes back from the beach, waiting to shower for one hour is a bit more that we would have bargained for. Especially coming from a hotel which features "Hilton" in it's name.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It would have taken the edge off if at least the staff was cordial, welcoming, and making an effort to be helpful. But they were anything but. The only nice staff member was Priscilla, at the front desk.
The "in the room stay fit kit" promised on the website - was nowhere to be found, so I asked about it at the front desk, on the third day. The staff members didn't know what I was talking about. Finally someone figured it out, and handed me the large black duffel bag. When I returned it upon our departure, the staff member accepting it looked very puzzled. She had no clue what it was. I tried to explain to her but she wasn't understanding, so I gave up. It appears the training there is lacking, and that the staff does not hold "service" and hospitality" in very high regard.
The 24 hour pantry they promise for your convenience? good luck with that. All it is is an umanned dark corner with several shelves containing a limited selection of snacks and beverages. Breakfast was very good. However, but they were very slow to fill up the bins. Pancakes and waffles ran out quickly every morning, and somedays it took 10 minutes for a new batch to fill the empty bin. The gym is wonderful and highly recommended. I hope the service and up-keep of the hotel greatly improve, for the sake of the the Hilton brand name. If we wanted to settle for this, we would have gone to the Howard Johnson.

3 Thank Dallasmomof3_11
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

My family just got back from 5 nights at the Hilton on South Padre Island. The room was very nice, beds are very comfy, breakfast buffet was included and very nice. The pool is terrific, big and my kids had a ball. The only negative is the service in the hotel. Extremely slow. We had a little spill on the kids bed as we were leaving for dinner, I called to request the bedding be changed. When we got back two hours later and ready for bed, it still hadn't been done. We ran out of bath towels after a night-time fishing trip and called to have 4 brought up... they never arrived. Geneva at the Concierge was amazing and helpful. Do the Breakaway bay fishing trip from 6p - 10p. My 7 year old daughter and I loved it! The Sea Turtle rescue across the street was also a winner. The beach is very kid-friendly and very shallow and warm.

2 Thank AmyTheRealtor