“Excellent Staff, So-So Food”
Review of Senor Donkey

Senor Donkey
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Staff, So-So Food”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The staff were all extremely friendly and courteous, however the food was not that great and the drinks were very expensive when compared with other restaurants on the island.

The food was also over-priced for what it was - bland and not very flavorful.

We probably will not return to this SPI establishment.

Visited September 2013

Austin, Texas, USA
“Very Mediocre, Rude Staff, Weak Drinks”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We were looking for an easy meal and tried this place. The food was quite poor and bland and the server was slow (even though it was empty) and gave us weird looks. The $3 margarita happy hour special sounded like a good idea, but the drinks were pretty weak.

Visited September 2013
Dulles, Virginia
“Seems to be getting worse...”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've eaten at the "Donkey" many times, and with each recent visit the food and service seems to be getting worse. My two most recent experiences: May 2013 -- visited with five adult family members plus an 11-month old infant. Had to pay a mandatory 15% gratuity because they counted the infant (who obviously didn't order a separate item off the menu) as a party of six. Normally I wouldn't take issue, but the service really wasn't worth a full 15% gratuity, never mind it being forced upon us. August 2013 -- "Donkey" now charges $2 to refill complimentary chips and salsa! When I questioned the manager he stated this has always been restaurant policy (I'm an SPI resident and have NEVER been charged before). The quality of the food has truly deteriorated over the years. Another example: luke warm "sizzling" fajitas that obviously had been sitting too long before being served. Sorry, Al -- not sure we'll be back.

• Visited August 2013
“Good burrito”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Good restaurant. The burrito was great. The chips and salsa were above average. The waitress was not knowledgeable. The food overrode the service.

• Visited August 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun, Spicy, Friendly”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've twice eaten at The Big Donkey. The first time I visited the restaurant was three years ago. The food was pretty good and the service o.k. I recently ate dinner there again (July 2013) and the food was fabulous. I had a burrito with spicy tomatillo sauce. It was flavorful and very hearty. I have eaten a lot of southwestern cuisine in New Mexico and, I have to say, this sauce rivaled anything I've ever had in Taos or Santa Fe. Everyone else in my family loved their food too. Various members of my family had different types of enchiladas and quesadillas. Our particular waitperson was a little confused/slow, but I think she was new. She was very friendly, as were the other staff we encountered that evening. The hostess was so polite and positive. The atmosphere was party-like and really fun. We didn't have a chance to go back for a second meal this trip, but wish we could have. We take take our leftovers back to our condo though and ate them the next day because the portions are good sized. The prices are definitely right too. I will go back to the Big Donkey on my next trip to SPI.

• Visited July 2013