“Stay somewhere else...”
Review of Suites at Sunchase

Suites at Sunchase
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed July 29, 2010

The website makes the place look much better than it actually is. It's an old mall converted into a hotel. The hallways are hot. Our conference, who had booked most the rooms, asked to have it turned down and were told they would take care of it...they turned it down and about 30 minutes later a maintenance worker came by and turned it back off (they monitor this closely). The conference rooms were unfinished and were very basic in their design. The rooms are nice.

There was no pool, even though it's prominently featured on the front page of their website.

Worst of all, there is no beach access. Furthermore, all the properties surrounding it have such horrible relationships with the owner that they refuse to let any of their guests use their boardwalks. It's a 20 minute walk to public access and we literally had to sneak through the access for one of the other properties. Who comes to SPI and doesn't want beach access?

The staff was rude, particularly Wendy, as she insisted that we didn't use the front door or the elevators. They routinely tried to cut corners on the contract and were defiant when we called them on it, even after showing it to them in print.

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed due to the service and the false advertising of their facilities. I can see why other properties on the island hate the owner. I will never stay here again or let anyone I know make the mistake of spending any time or money at this craphole.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
8  Thank ATXTrophyHusband
There are newer reviews for Suites at Sunchase

Reviewed June 1, 2010

Maintenance and service is one of the most important role a hotel management should be on top of. When my family and I first arrived at the Sun chase Suites, we immediately asked for a new room because once we walked in it wreaked! Due to the toilet being backed. In the new room, our sink was stuffed, but they managed to fix it.

My sister stayed in a different room, and wasn't as pleasant either. There was throw up stains by both beds, the refrigerator was pointless to have in there, there was no privacy in her restroom because the door knob didn't work (got stuck in there for 5 minutes), and there was no water in shower for 15 minutes on her last day.

Besides the rooms having problems, the hotel's jacuzzi wasn't working. They have signs in the elevator that say they have a movie theater, lounging area, etc. but both were closed. Elevators bounce randomly, reminded me why I'm scared of elevators.

Overall, I believe the hotel has a lot of potential. It does have a good,contemporary concept going on in the interior. The bars' $2 margaritas, were not so bad. The beds are comfortable. And the pool was clean. I just think it's a bit over priced for what it promises. And if you want your business to keep running, it shouldn't hurt to invest in a bit of money on a renovation. It would be worth it. :)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank anacis
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Based on the Tripadvisor reviews I really didn’t want to stay at the Suites at Sunchase, but we were in town for a family event and many other guests were staying there so we did too. My experience was not bad- but the reviews here made it clear to me what I would get, and what I would not.

What you will get is a spacious, comfortable room. Our room was outfitted with two king beds for sleeping; a standard desk and chair; a sitting area with sofa and armchair; a kitchenette with mini-fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, sink and storage; and a large bathroom with walk-in shower. The king bed was outfitted with large, soft pillows, and what felt like a memory foam mattress. We had two very good nights of sleep. In front of the bed was an armoire with flat screen TV on top; not my favorite configuration, since the room had a sitting area, but pretty standard. The fridge kept some beer we purchased nicely chilled, and the coffeemaker worked fine the morning we wanted coffee in.

The shower was huge, separated from the bathroom floor by an inch high lip. The water pressure was good, the water hot, and the bath products nice quality. The main issue with the shower was there was only a slngle, metal soap dish for all my shower stuff; I had to balance the shampoo, conditioner, and soap carefully on the dish so they wouldn’t fall. The towels are standard chain hotel quality, nothing special. I had no issue with the sink and mirror; plenty of room for the bath products my partner and I had (but not close enough that I could reach out and grab while showering).

The issues with the room are minor. We had to iron shirts for our family event, but our room did not have an iron. When I requested one from the front desk it did not arrive- but that may be because I was in the shower and did not hear them knock. While the air conditioner did make our room nice and cool, it never got to the super chilled temperature my partner likes. This could be because the room door is roughly an inch above the tile, leaving plenty of room for cold air to escape. We also could not get an internet connection in our room; the front desk told us our room had wifi, but there was no signal. The lamp on the desk had a plug-in internet connection- but I didn’t have a cable.

The hallways of the hotel are dated, and looked very much like the mall the Sunchase once was. As another reviewer noted the temperature in the halls were hot and this is true- but when we mentioned this to a maintenance man he gladly turned down the thermostat in an area where our family was congregating around a large table.

The staff at the hotel was friendly and helpful. I don’t think the staff is huge; if a bellman to help you take your luggage to your room is important, I would stay elsewhere. Other things you will not get- the hotel does not have a swimming pool, Jacuzzi, or continental breakfast. Keep these in mind before you plan your stay. But if you’re going to SPI and plan on spending the day on the beach, this may be the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I have stayed in many hotels and many with a conference, and I have never been treated with such disrespect. The only person there with any understanding of the hospitality business is Wendy. Otherwise they charge way too much and don't give you any amenities. The hallways are hot, they made us take our luggage up the service elevator. Do not stay at the hotel. We were even told not to use the front door because they didn't want us seen. I even heard from other people on the island that the owner is hated by pretty much everyone on the island. People felt sorry for us because we were staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank smwgeree77
Reviewed August 3, 2009

AmarocArcamFirst of all rooms were decent and nice, room service sucks. They don't come to clean unless you tell them too. Very rude staff, taking pictures and room service girls tried getting crunk talking crap, excited in dipping in pool and NO POOL! The hotel in the back are awsome and the hotel in the front use the same name and confuses people, but the back hotel people are extremely rude on them letting you use their walk way in the back to enter beach. And the front hotel should make a pact with the back hotel if the back hotel uses the front hotels entryway to let people in the back hotel the back hotel should let the front hotels people use the pool and use the back hotels walk way to enter beach!! An eye for an eye!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank camaromanLaredoTexas
Reviewed July 30, 2009

The staff and management is VERY rude. Our conference took up most of the hotel during our stay. The staff pulled all of the refrigerator coolness knobs from the units after setting them to high. No drinks including milk would stay cold. They insisted that hallways and the conference rooms that we use NO AC. We tried turning them units on and they had a staff member turn them off to save money. They also insisted that we used the freight elevator for all luggage and guests. They did not want any children (High school age) using the regular elevators or using the front doors of the hotel. There is NO WAY to get to the beach unless walking a couple of blocks. (Took us about 15 mins) No pool, No store, WIFI and Ethernet incredibly slow, very rude employees. Please don't let the nightmare that has happened to us happen to you.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank masterstiuswet
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I had one of the worst experience ever. First of all the hotel does NOT have a pool and the staff was rude. The room were decent and a nice size. However, when I went to check out, they charged me an extra $49.85 for two (2) towels and two (2) pillowcases that they said I ruined. The towels had make-up on them and I was notifed that they use a "special chemical" and not bleach that is why the make-up didn't come out. The amount on the items was so small that I couldn't even see it. If you stay, watch your bill, they will cheat you. Also, the supposed "lounge" area is a room they put folded chairs in. Very tacky.... I will NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family