“Not Beach Front”

Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Brownsville, Texas
“Not Beach Front”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was disappointed in our stay at the Suites at Sunchase in South Padre Island. This used to be a mall at one time, so the hallways are quite unique!! The small pool faces the street which is very busy. Our room was quite large, but was very lacking. There as no waste can in the room, only in the bathroom. So apple cores and orange peels went into the bathroom trash can. The one standard window we had only had a window blind, no blackout curtains or any curtains at all, so all the light from the adjacent hotel (Sunchase) came into our room. We had a handicap room, but there were no safety bars anywhere in the bathroom. The shower was accessible by wheelchair, but all the water ran out into the floor making it very messy, but more importantly very slippery! The most disappointing of all is that the beach access is two (2 1/2) blocks away. The hotel is situated very close to the beach, but not accessable to the Suites at Sunchase guests! Overall, I will not every consider this stay again.

Room Tip: Ask about beach access
5 Thank campi4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

First room cockroach infested! Second room 1 ac unit hanging off the wall the other blowing warm air! Third room wet patch on carpet in front of ac unit, not hot water on one of the mornings, following day hot water brown! No wifi in the rooms, cable Internet not working. We raised all these issues and was offer a $20 discount at the Resturant !! I don't think so..

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank Andy P

Travelers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

South Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel appeared to be one of the finest on the island, however, that is so far from the truth. The rooms are extra large, but that is not neccissarily a good thing. There is tons of dead space in the room. The carpet is dirty, the bedsheets were old, the room was musty, and I found 2 silver-fish on the carpet by the bed. Additionally, the air conditioner is undersized for the size of the room and is located right next to the bed, so if you sleep on the side of the bed closest to the A/C, you are frozen, the rest of the room is warm, at best. The layout of the room is strange. The building used to be a shopping mall and they converted the defunct mall into a hotel. So the designers tried to fit hotel rooms into the layout of the old building. Didn't work IMO. The walls are very thin and you can hear anything coming out of the next room very clearly. Hotel is understaffed and workers are over-worked. They are not ready to help you with anything. If you end up at the end of the hall way, you will walk a substantial distance to your room from the elevator, due to my reason as stated above (previously a mall). Swimming pool is located in front of the hotel, right in front of the main road on the island, so you see and hear traffic as you are in the pool. I would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closet to the elevator to avoid a very long walk.
8 Thank mlh1075
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here Summer 2011 and I wrote a review elsewhere. I might as well write one here for you all too. The hotel room was a 2 Queen with no views at the 4th floor. We came on a weekend so the pool bar was closed. There were no complimentary towels to use for the pool, so you had to use the towels you just used in your room or at the beach! I felt this was bothersome. The sink in the room's mini kitchen had hot water, but the shower did NOT. It was an awkward shower. I have been searching for rooms this year, and I thought about giving it another chance, but overall I do not want to live lower than I do at home. So I just booked a different hotel. We had no problems with Comfort Suites who is their sister in the corporation. So if you can do the extra $50 for no problems, do it. Also, the staff was rude. The elevator I rode in back then hadn't been serviced since 2010 which is against the law. So if you do stay here, check that as well to see if it has been updated in 2012. One more thing. The views of the bay's sunset was amazing from the lobby area of the 4th floor. I got some pretty amazing pictures there.

Room Tip: Stay away from 4th floor, with the 4 couch living area towards the back. People sat here at midnight...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank herheartsdelight
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have never ever wrote a review, let alone a BAD review because I like to be objective and not emotional. Even after reading the negative reviews prior to arriving, I was willing to give it a try especially since we already purchased and booked three suites from travelzoo. That said, I did not mention to my teenagers what I read because I did not want to give them a preconceived notion of what to expect. 1st night , our room- long hair strands in bed ( i have short hair) and air conditioner leaking in floor creating a hazardous puddle of water. Manager moves us to another room which smelled like it had a sewage backup, rust coming out of the nozzle when turning on water in sink and very low water pressure in the shower. Also had a stained carpet. 1st night, my teenagers room, said there were gnats all over the room and in there clothes. I didn't even mention the trip advisor reviews. By the 2nd night they said it got worst and was moved to another room. The 3rd room we had with my mother in law may have been okay as she did not complain. I will say this. If you want to be close to the beach, it is within walking distance. This may be good for teenagers who aren't concerned with quality and just want a place to put there stuff in a room....or not....

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank Wel4life
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Did not know what to expect since this was a promo offer although was pleasantly surprised.
It's certainly not the Crowne Plaza but was very comfortable. King Suite was huge, bed comfortable with nice linens. Front desk accomodating to our needs of towels, etc.
Great location, easy parking, pool could have been cleaner but acceptable.
Attached restaurant was superb! Fish soup was delicious as was the grilled redfish. Allowed us to bring in our own cocktails.
It is one of the Choice Hotels properties so if you make your reservations online you can save close to $50 per nite!

Room Tip: Corner suite are enormous A Choice Hotel property. Online booking will save you some bucks!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I read all of the negative reviews and was scared to death to stay here after making the reservation. But, I rated it very good due to the quality of the room. Very roomy, very nice bed and an incredibly large stand-up stand-alone shower. I mean, 6 people could have fit in it. The only negative was that the water pressure was very low. It did not bother me as I am bald, but my wife had a hard time washing her hair. The a/c was nice and quiet and I was very pleased with the room. It was a strange place as this was a former mall converted to a hotel and there are still businesses on the bottom floor, like a radio station and a newspaper. It was hard to tell it was a hotel and there is a club on the fourth floor, that thankfully was not open while we were there. The only other negative was that the hotel was a long way from the beach. My suggestion is to wait out front for the free shuttle service and take the bus labeled Gulf Blvd. or Port Isabel and it will take you directly to many public beach access points. There is no need to walk. There are also many good places to eat within walking distance. If you just need a place to sleep, this is fine. Hang out? spend the money and go to a resort.

Room Tip: Not on the 4th floor on the weekends due to a nightclub
1 Thank Matt C