“One of the strangest hotels ever!”
Review of Suites at Sunchase

Suites at Sunchase
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I read all of the negative reviews and was scared to death to stay here after making the reservation. But, I rated it very good due to the quality of the room. Very roomy, very nice bed and an incredibly large stand-up stand-alone shower. I mean, 6 people could have fit in it. The only negative was that the water pressure was very low. It did not bother me as I am bald, but my wife had a hard time washing her hair. The a/c was nice and quiet and I was very pleased with the room. It was a strange place as this was a former mall converted to a hotel and there are still businesses on the bottom floor, like a radio station and a newspaper. It was hard to tell it was a hotel and there is a club on the fourth floor, that thankfully was not open while we were there. The only other negative was that the hotel was a long way from the beach. My suggestion is to wait out front for the free shuttle service and take the bus labeled Gulf Blvd. or Port Isabel and it will take you directly to many public beach access points. There is no need to walk. There are also many good places to eat within walking distance. If you just need a place to sleep, this is fine. Hang out? spend the money and go to a resort.

Room Tip: Not on the 4th floor on the weekends due to a nightclub
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt C
There are newer reviews for Suites at Sunchase

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Our stay included sharing a room with a cockroach family! Horrible! We saw and had to kill cockroaches each night we were there! Also, had to request for our room to be cleaned...otherwise it wasn't! Towels never readily available for pool use...shower very dirty...electrical outlets not working to charge electronics...what more do I need to say?? Never going to stay there again! Never!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank karolinamorales
Reviewed July 24, 2012

First, booked this through Hotwire on a last ditch effort since The Pearl (where we were going the next night and ended up LOVING) was booked for the Saturday. When we arrived, I thought the only logical explanation for the horror I saw was that we were in the wrong place. Their "coffee bar" had no one serving at it. Their "pool" was on the street and looked like a giant bidet. The area by the desk was lawn furniture precariously placed in a square. When we got there I was informed that we didn't have a double queen like I had been told when booking, instead we had a king suite. Then they charged me $15 for an air mattress (that deflated during the night) to be placed in the room to 'compensate'. The fridge didn't work, the AC unit dripped and sounded like a thunder storm every time it turned on, and the 'exercise room' looked more like a sad man cave. Asked repeatedly to be moved, only to be told it was 'full', yet we knew of 3 rooms right next to us that had been flipped, cleaned, and were empty. The staff was AWFUL- making us go down to get towels, only to be told they were 'out'- SERIOUSLY? When I relayed the terrible time we had been having, I got a shoulder shrug and he walked away. AWFUL.

Room Tip: I'd sooner stay in a porta potty than this hotel again.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank skf0055
Reviewed July 21, 2012

When we got our room through priceline, it said beach access & continental breakfast. There was no beach access and no cotinental breakfast. room was small, remote on tv did not work, large spider on ceiling and no sheets for fold out sofa. Called front desk 3 times, finally went and told them in person. Got one blanket and we killed the large spider. No tv remote still. No water pressure in the shower. We will not go back.

Room Tip: Don't always believe what you read online
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mike55786
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The place doesn't look or act like a hotel. We found lice in the room! The air conditioner leaked, there was no stoper for the tub, the microwave plate was missing we had to ask repeatedly for more towels. This place sucks. We booked it on a Hotwire hot rate and Hotwire wouldn't help us move. Hotwire siad this place was 3.5 stars. I therefore recommend againt using hot wire. Pay more stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Jaberian
Reviewed July 12, 2012

my wife and I recently had a short stay at this place and we were terribly dissappointed with the accommodations.we were forced to cut our stay short because of the Roaches in our room,we were placed in another room only to find more regular sized roaches as well as cockroaches this time. We spoke to the front desk manager and she was non-apologetic and all she cared about was the fact that she couldnt refund our money since we prepayed for our rooms!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: read reviews before you pay for your rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kenneth R
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed there as a result of a travel voucher promising "bay view" and "king bed suite". When we arrived at the room found neither to be true. Asked the front desk about the bay view and was told "it's not a bay view bay view". Had no idea what that meant as the bay is only on one side of the hotel, a multi story hotel on the back so asked what do you mean "not a bay view bay view". "Other customers checked in yesterday so they have the actual bay view." No bay view rooms were available at that point. "So what about the fact we do not have a king bed suite?" "You were upgraded to a double queen." Before telling me I was upgraded to two queens you should establish I think that's an upgrade - which I did not.

We stayed two nights and part way through the first night the A/C began to fail - it was June in TX, 95 degree day, 87 degree nights. Hotel committed to repairing the unit while were out the next day. We returned late and room was somewhat cool so we turned down the A/C - it never cooled sufficiently so I woke up sweating several times.

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room - stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple