“Pretty much the worst...”
Review of Suites at Sunchase

Suites at Sunchase
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We arrived late at night. Parking is VERY dark (behind and under the building). Front desk is understaffed. Only one luggage cart. Business Center really isn't a business center. It's one SLOW computer and a printer. Elevators are scary! They bounce up and down about 2-3 inches as you're trying to get on and off. Housekeeping doesn't come when called. They cleaned my room one day and didn't leave coffee/cups. I called in the morning for them, but they never brought them. Had requested a room with 2 beds when booking. Arrived to a room with 1 bed and a sleeper sofa. No extra pillows or blankets in the room. I called down to get pillows for the sofa. Was told they didn't have any. I don't usually complain, as I think of hotels as just a place to sleep, but this was pretty bad, espeically for the price that was paid. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 1969Christina

Reviewed July 28, 2011

As a family, we did up South Padre Island for a 3day, 2nt stay at the Suites at Sunchase.... So, my first impression upon pull up was... Hmmmm? This is the hotel? After previewing the location online upon booking I was definitely anticipating something different. Although the location seems to be a bit dated underneath the three or four layers of modern upgrades, the front desk along with housekeeping staff were welcoming; in turn softening the initial bite of disappointment... I will note that the location does have 3 or more retail locations connected to including a local newspaper office and radio station housed on the reception floor... It did seem as if it was previously a large office building. No odors, and the room was 88% clean... We stayed in a suite equipped with a mini-kitchen, sleeper sofa, and and excellent third story view of the bay... Not the gulf... No biggie.. however, do note that the beach is a few blocks up and to the right from this location... My favorite part was the shower. Tiled, virtually from floor to ceiling and the pressure was on point and if it got any hotter , I would've burned my skin off :-) Would we stay again? Perhaps, but not with the kids in tote.. I kept finding strays of some OTHER woman's hair around.... GREAT VALUE, if you don't turn on all the lights or are expecting uniformed corporate staff....

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed here from July 17, 2011 until July 23, 2011.

If you are familiar with SPI, then you will know this place as "The Mall."

Someone decided that the mall would be more profitable as a hotel, so they built some rooms instead of stores. I looked at several rooms before picking the one that I'm stayed in... each room is different, but they seem to all be big, with a big bathroom, big closets, HDTVs w/cable and HBO, a small refrigerator, and a microwave. You can tell that this was transitioned from "something else" as you walk through the hallways - looks like original "mall" tiles (not dirty, just unusual looking because they don't completely match the direction of the hallways). Some rooms have remnants of the Mall, one room had floor to ceiling mirrors in the bedroom that was left over from a store (might be the "honeymoon suite" now).

The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly & my kids liked the pool (just a normal pool).

Here are the things to consider:
1) This is not on or within walking distance to the beach, but that should be obvious
2) The Bathrooms have large stand-up showers, but no bathtubs (perhaps you like bubble baths?)
3) There is a bar on the 4th floor (top floor). The live band/music from the bar is loud enough to be heard in Room 422's "living area," but not too much from the bedroom. (you might want to ask to be "away from the bar.")
4) They offer wireless internet service, but it is horribly sloooooooooooow. If decent Internet access is important during your stay, then this isn't the place for you. (probably slower than a 2G wireless card).
5) My kids pointed out that this "hotel is not full of sand" as are the hotels on the beach (perhaps you appreciate a sand-less hotel?)
Bottom line is...
Decent price for a large and decent room.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I am not sure where everybody else is staying that write these horrible reviews. Parking was easy to find. They have these HUGE rooms. We stayed in a suite with 2 KING size beds. The hotel has plenty of staff. They helped take our luggage from the car to our rooms, and when leaving they loaded up the luggage and took it to our cars. My kids played for hours in their pool. I liked that the pool was small, so I could easily keep an eye on the kids. The small cafe next to the hotel was open and even offer to go orders for those staying at the hotel. Staff was always around cleaning, they have pool towels available at the front desk. We will be back. It's not the Ritz-Carlton, but it's not Travelodge either. By the way, the hotel does have Wi-Fi, just not the room. You will need your cable, or just go to the lobby like I did.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Had a wonderful stay! Great Staff, very helpful..Really enjoyed the bar ...lots of dancing, Really excellent Band! Look forward to our next visit!!---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maxmako
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We went for a girls get away and we were not impressed. There is only one luggage cart for 87 rooms so be prepared to carry all your stuff through the long strange maze of the hotel. The refrigerator did not work - 4 calls later nothing could be done. We had to use our cooler all weekend with ice from the machine. There were no hooks in the bathroom so we didn't have a place to hang up our beach stuff. We got a knock at the door one night at 6 PM from housekeeping asking if they could take our trash - that's it. We never saw evidence of housekeeping done in our room - no towel replenish, no vacuuming. The hallways are very dirty - never were vacuumed or mopped. There is a night club in the hotel - which you can hear in the rooms. Apparently they don't understand what free wiifi means - it didn't exist in our room. We went to McDonalds to use free wiifi. The pool is really small and dirty. They advertise a poolside bar/snack - never open during our stay and didn't look like it had been used in months. The cafe was closed and look like it had been closed for months. Basically - the website is a big lie.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sleepybishop
Reviewed June 1, 2011

This is the most worst hotel EVER!!! Please read, and do not choose to stay at this hotel.... First when booking the rooms for our family trip, the front desk personnel could never send me a confirmation, their email was down and when I asked if they could at least send it to me by fax they said, "your reservation is confirmed I can give you a confirmation number"... REALLY... Day of check in, everything seemed a little wierd. Hotel lobby and hallways are very hot! The elevators are bouncy, and carpet is extremly dirty. First day at hotel ran smoothly, second morning we did not have ANY WATER, they kept stating this was a city issue, the entire Island did not have any water, which was a lie, because outside of our room people were using the washing machines just fine. Our room never was cleaned nor fresh towels were provided, I had to call twice to have housekeeping come. When they finally came, they knocked and stated, "You needed towels"....what a joke...
We decided to leave, we could not take a shower, use the sink nor toilet.... The front desk said we would get a discount, when checking out, they said our manager said it is not our fault for city water problems, and we had to pay half the day of our stay!!! Finally, went to a better hotel further down the Island which of course did have water, came to check my account the next day..... I was charged 2 full stays and half a day which I should only be charged one night period!!!! I can continue to say how crappy this hotel was..... but needless to say just do not stay here!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family