“Nice B and B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brown Pelican Inn

Brown Pelican Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Padre Island
Brown Pelican Inn
You added Brown Pelican Inn to your Saves list
palm springs
“Nice B and B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

My wife and I stayed three nights at the Inn during the 1st week of Dec. 2007. The Inn is very nicely furnished both including the downstairs dining room and our room upstairs(Laguna Atascosa). The room has a great view overlooking the water facing west. There is a door leading to a shared balcony. Although nicely frunished the room was somewhat small. A closet is available for hanging clothes, but virtually no drawer space.

We had an "early" breakfast at 7:15 the first morning in the dining room as we were planning to visit and bird at Sabal Palms. Chris, the host, was kind enough to honor our request for an early breakfast which usually is served between 8:30 and 9:30.

The next morning we planned on leaving early again but due to conflicting plans Chris was not able to serve an early breakfast, but prepared us "to go" sandwiches, fruit, soft drinks, cheese and chocolates in a cooler, which we much appreciated.

Our last morning, we had a very nice breakfast on the downstairs patio overlooking the water during regular hours. Delicious raspberry pancakes.

• Liked — Location with water view
  • Disliked — Room size a little small
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank barmanps

Solo
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

Although the room (The Big Thicket) was picturesque one of the first things we noticed was the faint mildew odor in the room. Initially my wife and I wrote this off as an effect from the AC use, after all this is South Texas. But after our second night we realized the smell came up from the sinks. Both of us remembered when we checked in that the sink drains were all closed. Not an entirely strange thing but after we used the sinks and then left them opened during the day the smell was all too noticeable. We kept the drains closed after this and this helped considerable. At the time we felt that this was not something offensive enough to check out. Instead that was taken up by the hostess of the Inn, Cris.
On Friday I called to request that I have coffee and breakfast about 7:15 in the morning since we wanted to have something before we went on to our conference. She agreed to have a continental breakfast available for us in the morning. My wife decided to sleep in and I went to breakfast by myself. I went on to the conference after and later called my wife. My wife let me know that Cris was upset that Maggie did not wake up with me after arrangements were made the night before. Cris also let my wife know that Cris (I'm paraphrasing here) "..could've just killed your husband for making her wake up so early. I couldn't get any sleep worrying about waking up on time. I know it's just quarter of an hour early but still. Couldn't he have just had a muffin or something at the conference." . Cris did this while my wife was sitting down to breakfast by herself with other guests around. My wife was upset by these remarks and also by the treatment by Cris during the rest of her breakfast. Cris managed to be kind and pleasant to everyone else and ignore Maggie for the rest of the morning. This behavior by our hostess made us feel very uncofortable and we decided to cut our stay short and checked out the next morning.
We do not understand why Cris behaved this way to us. We have let all our friends know about our experience and have let people know at work as well. I would rather have posted a positive review but personally our experience at the Brown Pelican Inn was not pleasant.

Jason Mowery, CRNA

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The hostess
  • Tips/Secrets — Try and stay at a standard hotel
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank oscarmax
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

We stayed here August 21st and 22nd and really enjoyed it. It was clean, modern and tastefully decorated. The owners were very kind and gave great suggestions of restaurants and other places to visit. If you love nature and quiet, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Ninacat
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

One of my gal pals decided to fly into Texas the weekend before 4th of July at the last minute, and the Brown Pelican happened to have an a room for us! Chris even called to let me know a room was available in spite of the inn being completely booked (my request was through e-mail).

A beautiful and exclusive place for singles (gal pals like us), couples, and families (with kids 12 and older, thank goodness). The inn is very peaceful and very quiet!!!!!!!!!! Exceptionally clean, passing my white glove standards, lol, seriously.

We stayed in the Laguna Atascosa room which is the most popular. We had a breathtaking view of the water, and watched the most beautiful sunset (and sunrise) from our window with the better view from the balcony--which made the whole trip worthwhile being that we wanted to get away from the city life. Not much to do on South Padre island itself but the Brown Pelican is a place to stay to unwind and rejuvenate.

The best I've ever been to. Chris, the innkeeper, was very nice and is a lady of elegance.

• Liked — Children aged 12 and over are invited (I love my peace and quiet)
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — book away ahead in advance
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Janis29238