“Go for the bacon-wrapped shrimp”
Review of Cap'n Roy's

Cap'n Roy's
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Arlington, TX
“Go for the bacon-wrapped shrimp”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Small place with not much atmosphere, but great shrimp. Service was very good, the bacon-wrapped shrimp are great and spicy...their prices are a bit high and their cabbage salad was not good, next time I will just order a bunch of bacon-wrapped shrimp at their drive-thru!

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Among The Best Five Restaurants On SPI.”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I was shocked to find that Cap'n Roy's is not in the top five most highly rated restaurants on SPI at this website. It should be.

I'm a seafood lover who grew up in the Valley and has spent enough time trawling the usual suspects to know a good shrimp joint, and Cap'n Roy's is a good shrimp joint.

The first time we ate there, I complimented the food to our waitress as I was leaving, and told her that it was our first time there. She went and repeated that to Roy, and he came out and intercepted my wife and me as we were getting in the car. He was genuinely interested in the impetus of my opinion, and we had a very pleasant talk. I was quite impressed by Roy himself.

As for the food, I'm guessing that the seafood selections are superior to the Tex-Mex selections, but what you're doing eating Tex-Mex at South Padre Island is beyond me. When a restaurant wins awards for certain dishes, and are proud enough to tell you that, you want to order those dishes. That's what we did, and they were perfect.

One thing I really appreciate about this restaurant is that they stay open until 10PM on an island that really likes to shut down early, and served us very well even though we showed up at 9:30PM.

I really look forward to eating at Cap'n Roy's the next time I get to spend some time on SPI.

San Angelo, Texas
“Great Food”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We went to Cap'n Roy's on 7 Aug. The place was packed. We grabbed the first seats available which were right next to the kitchen. Our waitress, Erin, was absolutely awesome. My husband ordered the Camaronitas Diabolitas. He thought the food was excellent. Normal person quantities. He really liked the fumi salad which he still talks about. I ordered the El Kapitan Pasta Poblano, which was very tasty and spicy...and was warned ahead of time, thanks to Erin:) My portion was big enough for a doggy bag. Be warned. If you're looking for a nice romatic kind of place this isn't it. This is more of a locals, great good, kind of place. Not much on atmosphere. This is one of the top 2 restaurant picks I had while on SPI.

El Paso, Texas
“Out of the competition”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Went to Captain Roy's to try their 'Award-Winning' shrimp plate and was completely disappointed. First off, they really put the 'shrimp' in their shrimp. They were tiny and completely buried in bacon and drowned in their special sauce. I definitely did not taste any shrimp in that morsel and for the price, i was definitely left wanting. Their pride and joy definitely did not fit the bill

However, service was good and I'm curious to try their mexican food so I will be back for another taste. Hopefully I will leave full and satisfied.

South Dakota
“The best food on the Island”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

We saved the best for last as the evening before departing SPI we chose Captain Roy's. Goodness we were right in saving this or we may have eated their daily. Great Mexican twist to seafood entrees. Not a fancy place but certainly a place you will enjoy and want to return to. Roy will even great you and thank you for your business.