“What a bargain”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We went to Cap'n Roy's based on Trip Advisor reviews. At first we were a little underwhelmed after eating at other South Padre seafood places but the quaint and friendly atmosphere, the food, and the price won us over. Most meals are around $10-$11 compared to $20+ at other places. The raw oysters were large and plump, the blackened shrimp tacos were excellent, and the grilled fish was flavorful. Loved the charro beans with the tacos and their non-mayo based slaw with the grilled fish was refreshingly different. We liked that the portions were just right and the prices reflected it as compared to some places were the portions are way too big with a bigger price tag. The place was busy but the service is fast. We'd definitely come back.

1  Thank KDG_TX

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My family of 4 and friend's family of 4.5 decided to try this spot based on previous reviews we had read. We walk in with smiles on and were told by a young lady it would be 25 minutes before they would be able to put some tables together. We decided that was very fair and began to wait. About 10 minutes later an older lady said it would be just a minute. Then, 5 minutes after that an older guy walked up and said "folks, what are we doing here?" I explained the above history to him and he said "Well, I know it's hot out, but I can't have you waiting inside, I need you to wait outside". After standing there for 15 minutes with assurance(s) that we were fine and waiting our turn... Really? Long story short, not a well-run joint and not at all impressed with the hospitality.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went on a Sunday. Nice size crowd for the day. Island was crowded. The AC wasn't working great so we got warm. Salsa is very HOT. We asked to switch it out for Queso and the waitress did it with a smile. Had the Seafood Platter, grilled and it was good but nothing to rave about. Over all an OK experience, think we will try another place next time to compare

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Looking at the reviews here I figured I would be getting some kind of extra good food at Roy's but my wife and I were underwhelmed. Its the same old fried fish, shrimp, and potatoes you can get at just about any of the 'seafood' restaurants in SPI. My wife ordered their signature dish, a variation on shrimp diablo. Wow, this is their best food? A handful of small shrimp wrapped in bacon and doused in smoke flavor. I had the fish and oyster plate. It was all edible, no problem there, but I think any place with a fryer can do this. Nothing the least bit creative. I had my weekly ration of fried food in a single meal. Not a bad place to eat, but don't go out of your way to visit Cap Roy's.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a late lunch at Cap'n Roy's yesterday on a Memorial Day visit to South Padre. What a treat! My wife had the enchilada plate and the shrimp lover in me went for their award winning Camaronitas Diablitos. Wow! It's been a while since I've had something so good. My only regret is that I went for the 6-shrimp plate instead of the 8. My wife's enchilada plate was excellent as well. Definitely a do-not-miss.