“Worth the time to stop and grab a bite”

Sutton County Steakhouse
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Sonora
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Food was exellant, servers were friendly and place was cool on a hot day. The price was reasonable. We were happy we gave it a second try from a year ago. Decor was a little strange, but it gave us something to talk about!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Keep in mind that I try to review restaurants in context. That is, I don't use the same criteria for this place that I would Al Biernat's in Dallas. They're not competitors; they don't cater to the same clientele, ambiance, prices, food, or demographic. I've stopped here many times on my business trips to West Texas, and places west, and it's always been a pleasant experience. This last go around, I stopped deliberately to partake of their dinner (lunch to Yankees) buffet. They had chicken strips, chicken fried steak fingers, veggies, and a nice little salad bar. I hit the salad bar several times because for some reason, french dressing, and their home grown tomatos really hit the spot. The meat was tasty, fresh, and tender. The veggies were fine (potatos, onions, beans). Sweet tea, and good, attentive service from a nice young lady with a sweet smile. It was clean, tasty, quick, and an extremely good value. Tax, title, tip, license, smile, and "adios" for $12. That's value, folks. So, I recommend this place if you're travelling, and want a good meal, in a nice place, for a good value. The ambiance here is "west texas ranch", and I like it. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

We have been stopping here on our way to Ruidoso for more than 10 years, and it is consistently very good (food and service). The food is fresh, made to order. The chicken fried steaks are delicious and tender, as are the onion rings. The restaurant is older, but very eclectic....a lot of character in the decor. And we have always had a pleasant experience with the service. This place is well worth the stop!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went there ready for a nice dinner...wrong. We knew we were in trouble when waitress said they only had one vodka...no choice. I had a filet mignon...it was PAN-FRIED, not broiled, and was chewy like rubber. Baked potato not fully cooked. Salad bar was $2.75 EXTRA for iceberg, cottage cheese, beets, broccoli & cauliflower bits. Cheapo grocery store rolls. WaItstaff dressed in 'cleaning the garage' random beat-up attire. Between waiting on customers, waitstaFF sat at table in middle of dining room watching TV. For this, our bill was over $60. WHAT A DUMP!!! Recommend you go to the Dairy Queen down the street and get a great burger & fries instead.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

My dad and I recently went on a father-daughter trip to the Davis mountains, and on our way back we decided to stop in Sonora to eat. I had been craving some beef, so seeing a steakhouse definitely excited me. Now, I'm not a very critical person and I try to have an open mind, but I could tell almost right after walking in those doors that this steakhouse was poorly managed. For one, many of the female workers were sitting in the front around a table gossiping and laughing while there were still tables with dirty dishes still sitting on them. We were quickly seated, but in a dirty, greasy booth with a ripped seat and food bits on and under the table. There were perfectly clean booths right next to it, so we moved over one after the hostess/manager (we weren't sure what she was) left the room. After looking at the prices on the menu, we just decided to get the buffet. Now, the salad bar and the actual buffet were in two different rooms (the salad bar in the room we were seated in), and my dad had gone to the restroom when the waitress came and I ordered for us. I decided to get some salad and just wait for my dad to get back before getting to the real food. At the salad bar, I could tell that all the veggies had been sitting out for a while, and many were running low. I dismissed it, as it was 2:00, after the normal lunch hour. My dad returned, got his salad, and we ate them together. When we finished, we went into the next room to go to the buffet. Halfway there, my dad stops. The buffet was being cleaned out. Our waitress luckily was in the room (gossiping with the others), and noticed our confusion. There wasn't much of an apology from anyone, and our waitress just said, "Oh, I didn't think she would clean it out so early. Do you want to order from the menu?" My dad and I looked at each other, hungry and now flustered, and knowing that there wasn't much choice as far as restaurants go in Sonora, decided to just go with it. I ordered a cheeseburger and my dad ordered a buffalo chicken wrap. Our food came in about the time you should expect. My burger was pretty good as far as taste, but the buns were soggy from grease. My dad said that his wrap was pretty good. The french fries were nothing special. They tasted like....fried potatoes. When we were finished eating, I went to the restroom, in which the stall doors were greasy and the floors were sorta dirty, but other than that, I gotta say it was a pretty cute bathroom. The only compliments that I can really give the restaurant based on my experience is on the decor. Five rooms, each one a different theme is a cute idea, but doesn't make up for poor management.