“What a litte gem......”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Headed into Smithville to attend an Art show at Mosaic Downtown and had 2 different people tell us we should go to The Back Door Cafe for dinner!
We made a reservation, a good thing on a Saturday night, and were seated promptly upon arrival. Service for us that night was great. The Chef/Owners daughter served us and was very helpful in guiding us through the choices. Yes, the menu is limited. I would rather have a choice a few good and fresh items anyway. We both ordered the Filet with a demi-glace, it came with a salad which was so fresh and yummy...loved the sprouts;) roast potatoes and a sauté of mixed veg. Our steaks were ordered medium rare and both were perfectly done. We had Jack Daniels Chocolate pie and Creme Brûlée for dessert. The wine list was small but good. We ordered a bottle of (Spanish) Atteca Old Vines Grenache 2011 which was the perfect choice.
The bad news? After next week the place will close for the summer. The Good news? They re-open in September...and we will be back!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

For a sleepy town of 3600, we were amazed by the experience at Back Door Cafe. (I left off "coffee shop" because it does the place a disservice). A small family run restaurant, we enjoyed a spicy shrimp skewer over rice and a killer CFS. Real meat, real tender, only slightly pounded and served with cream gravy. My only wish was for mashed potatoes instead of the rosemary potatoes, which were good but fought with my gravy. (Gravy won). Homemade bread that tasted it. The coconut cream pie was the second best I've ever had (Dahlia Lounge in Seattle is #1). Graham cracker crust with slight cinnamon and molasses flavor. Good consistency on the custard and none of it was overly sweet. Nice service; beer and wine only. Will definitely return.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Ate here by default as the restaurant we came to dine in turned out not to be open. Food was delicious! Yes, it's a limited menu, but it was rather nice to be able to make a quick decision. My husband had the chicken fried steak, which I tasted, and it was probably the best CFS he's ever had out. Very tender. Gravy was a bit rich with cream, but very tasty. I had the grilled chicken breast with lemon caper sauce (basically chicken picatta), and it was wonderful. Wasn't thrilled to see white rice as the starch, but it turned out to be perfect with the sauce. Chicken was tasty and tender. Side of mixed vegetables - broccoli, asparagus, squash, cauliflower, red bell, I think(grilled?) - was just how we like them - crisp, not smothered with butter. Salad was nice, and I could have eaten the basil tomato dressing (which I ordered on the side) with a spoon (I don't normally have dressing on my salad because the taste overwhelms the ingredients, but this dressing was very good as long as you like basil). I don't understand previous complaints about small portions/plates - we thought the portions were quite ample. Had the house merlot ($5), which was just fine. Service was friendly, certainly adequate, perhaps a tiny bit slower than most restaurants, but we were in no hurry, and it was nice not to feel like they were trying to push us out the door to make room for another guest. Will definitely go again!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was staying at the Katy B&B in Smithville recently and the innkeeper recommended the Back Door as a good place for dinner. It definitely was! I ordered the snapper and it was delicious. I will definitely eat there again should I ever pass that way.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Limited menu, but gourmet food. They usually are open Friday and Saturday evenings, starting at 5:30 PM. Worth going by and checking it out if you are in the neighborhood.