“Nice spot for over night camping”

Buescher State Park
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Smithville
Houston
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nice spot for over night camping”
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I'm just getting back into camping after a 30 year hiatus, so I'm familiarizing myself with Texas parks again. I spent a nice afternoon hiking the trail and enjoyed the night I slept in a tent site at the Lakeview Camping Area (site #59). The main trail is just ok, but the Pine Gulch Loop is a really nice walk. I'd recommend taking the CCC Crossover in addition to the whole Pine Gulch Loop. There was a quiet family crowd when I was there, so it was a peaceful, relaxing stay.

It was worth the 2 hour drive from Houston.

3 Thank tx_design

36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Expected much more needs a lot of work”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Went there thanksgiving, expected much more,
The park is currently undergoing much needed renovations, and it was hit hard with the draught so not much green to see with the eye.

Playgrounds need a lot of help and so do the amp sites

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Most Relaxing and Affordable Camping Trip I've Ever Had!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This past weekend, my boyfriend and our 3 furbabies reserved a campsite at Buescher State Park in Smithville, TX. It was a beautiful park. Temperatures were still in the 90's, but as the sunset came about, it cooled into the 70s. We upgraded our original campsite to add a shelter. My boyfriend put up the tent, we unloaded the food and he proceeded to step down to the lake and fish while the furbabies and I enjoyed walking around nearby our campsite. They had a playground for kids and thankfully our campsite was close to the bathrooms. Our shelter had electricity and we had an outside water faucet for our own. We really enjoyed the peace and quiet and hearing our neighbors gather and talk and others fish on the lake. We plan to check out Garner State Park next!! I would highly recommend even for a day if you live close by. Park Rangers were as friendly as can be. What do you expect? It's Texas!!

Visited September 2012
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great State Park”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Small and well maintained park. Park staff very friendly. Canoe rentals with donation to Lost Pines. Very clean showers and restrooms.

Beaumont, Texas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Buescher State Park”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We stayed at this park over the Presidents Day weekend. Our camp location was Cozy Circle. The rangers, staff, and park host were very friendly and helpful. Park was very clean, sites were pretty level. Great hiking trails, very pretty place. The weather was bad the first day or so we were there so it is hard to tell what the playground was like, but from a short distance it looked very well maintained. Even with the bad weather, there was a large number of people there, but it did not feel packed. Over the air TV reception was OK, but you could not keep the channels “locked in” very long. AT&T wireless signal was decent. Driving in was a little tight, but I think that keeps this place as secluded as it felt. The cabins looked nice from what we can tell, and the Oak Haven part of the park is where we would like to stay on our next trip. In my opinion, this is little park is a jewel and a well-kept secret. We will definitely be going back.

Visited February 2012