“Not on my "return" list”
Review of Motel 6 Shamrock

Motel 6 Shamrock
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Shamrock
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've traveled I-40 for years. The Irish Inn was a good place to break the trip several years ago. It deteriorated beyond hope. I noted that a Motel 6 franchise had purchased and renovated it, so after passing it a couple of times, I realized that this last trip Shamrock would be about my limit. I didn't check Tripadviser, as I figured I'd evaluate it from my own perspective. Mistake.

The rate with AARP discount was $64.92 with taxes--steep for Motel 6. Desk clerk said, "Prices are higher here than in the big city." She was right. Even the gas across the highway was 15 cents higher than the next highest place in Texas.

I was given a non-smoking room: Room 138. Looked fine. In the back, next to the doors into the indoor pool (where the old restaurant used to be). As others have noted, it was nicely decorated in a brown scheme with pleasant patterned bedspread, new carpeting and drapes. It had refrigerator and microwave, and big TV, and executive swivel chair at desk (none of which I wanted/needed, as I just wanted a good night's sleep and a hot shower).

The room smelled. Partly it was new carpeting, but the underlying odor was of stale smoke.

Then came the dogs. Those sand burs must be really bad, because the two dogs that arrived next door at 10 p.m. barked for an hour.

Once asleep, all was o.k. until shower time. Old fixtures were difficult to work, and it took 8 minutes to get hot water. Then the water would not turn off. When I checked out, and started to tell the three employees behind the counter about the running water, I was interrupted and told, "You have to turn it real hard to get it on." "Yes,," I said, "buit I'm trying to tel you it won't go off, and it's still running in room 138."

I'd noted that a tissue dispenser is present at the lavatory, so continued the conversation with, "At these room prices, you could at least supply tissues." The response? "They won't let us."

The lobby was spacious and very nice. I'm betting this will not stay a Motel 6 franchise. With all the redecorating expense with the results not much like typical Motel 6, this will change to another franchise or go independent, as has been done at other locations along I-40.

Next trip, I'll stay awake until Amarillo or Elk City, depending on direction of travel. No more Shamrock.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Edge W
Erika B, Director of Sales at Motel 6 Shamrock, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Hello Edge! I first want to apologize for your recent stay with us at the Motel 6 in Shamrock TX. We are trying to renovate and upgrade the hotel while still maintaining standards. As with most hotels, the rates vary depending on location and number of available rooms. This hotel is no different, however we do want to offer a good value to our guests. I have addressed your other concerns with the General Manager, housekeeping staff and maintenance and we will be working to improve the hotel based on your review. We hope you will stay with us again next time you are coming through town so that we can show you the improvements that we have made.

There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Shamrock

Reviewed August 2, 2013

One of the nicest motel 6 rooms I stayed in but, they need to have sprayed for bugs and roach's. wake up at 3am with bug in my bed, got up at 6am to find about 5 stink bugs all over the room. Looks like rooms have just been remodeld, just need to exterminate. Room 164 on 8/1/13 thanks J Wren

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Hello J Wren! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have spoken to the General Manager about your stay and we now have an exterminator coming by on a regular basis. We hope you will stay with us again soon so that we can show you the improvements we have made.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stopped here on our way back to Oklahoma. It was midnight, we were very tired from driving 11 hours already when we pulled in, there was a sign on the door that after midnight to use the window in the back. After fumbling around and searching for the little window inside of the back hallway, we had to talk to the front desk person through a tiny window, with a place to slide the money through to her. Not a welcoming feeling. Felt like I was checking in to a pay-by-the-hour no-tell motel.

But we just needed a place to stay and sleep for the night, and not spend $100. The front desk lady was very nice and polite. We pulled around and parked, and walked through a few doors to get to our room, inside of the main building. Granted it was dark outside, but the entire building seems to be in major disrepair. The sign on the Motel 6 sign said "Under New Management", maybe they are in the process of trying to fix this place.

Our room had new bedding (not new sheets, sheets had holes and some sort of black marks), nice big TV, new furniture, new lights by the bed and new paint. The carpet was old, old curtains, old mirrored closet doors, old sink and bathroom. And there was quite a bit of mold on the ceiling that had been painted over. It just didn't feel clean - the toilet seat had not been cleaned (I had to do it before my husband saw and would make us leave and drive 6 more hours to get home!) and an old sticker that comes on a banana, stuck to the empty Kleenex holder in the wall. It had been there long enough to accumulate something gross on it.

It was a quiet place though, we slept well. Got up, turned the key in to the front desk, again very nice and polite.

This motel just needs a little TLC. I am not from this area, I have no idea what the other hotels/motels are like, but this Motel 6 would benefit greatly from some cleanup, paint and refreshing. I felt like paying $70 (with a AAA discount) was a little pricey for what we got.

Room Tip: We stayed inside the main building, it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Sara! We are under new management and are in the process of a remodel at the property. We appreciate your taking the time to write such a detailed review for us, we invite all reviews -both good and bad-, so that we know what we are doing right as well as what areas we can improve on. We do have a window for late check ins for the safety of our staff, while we have never had an incident, we like to take all the procautions we can. We have been going through some housekeeping changes in order to improve guest satisfaction with the cleanliness of the rooms. We pride ourselves with our friendly and helpful staff. We hope you will stay with us again next time you and your husband drive through the area and see the improvements we have made.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We decided to take a chance on this one despite mixed reviews since it had changed hands and seemed to have gotten better reviews after that happened. This location looks like it was a really nice place at one time. There's an indoor swimming pool and bar area, a fitness room, and amenities I don't normally associate with Motel 6.

Our room had beautiful carpet and a digital TV, as well as a small refrigerator and microwave (unusual for Motel 6). The carpet was beautiful and so was the decor but it had an unpleasant odor, the air conditioner sounded like a broken washing machine and the bathroom wasn't clean. There were also signs of lack of upkeep throughout the motel. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it's because they're working to improve it but I don't know if that's the case or not. It didn't help that it was significantly more expensive than any other Motel 6 we stayed in so we expected more from it than we got.

The staff did accommodate our special requests without question and they were all very nice.

A caution for folks traveling with dogs. The "grass" and every available place to walk dogs is filled with sand spurs that aren't easy to detect until afterward. It took an hour to get them all out of the dogs' coat and from between their pads, and I'm still finding them 2 days later. I don't think that's the motel's fault necessarily, although real grass instead of weeds would be helpful. It's more a sign of the area than anything else.

We chose Motel 6 for this cross-country trip because we didn't want to pay $50 extra for 2 small dogs per night. We're used to staying in upscale motels/hotels and knew it would be basic (bring your own hair dryer) but were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the room. It helped that we used Trip Advisor to pre-qualify which Motel 6 locations to use, so we had an idea of what we were getting into before we got there.

I would pay the extra $50 fee for the dogs elsewhere rather than stay in this location again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We do have many amenities and features that a general Motel 6 do not have, like the indoor pool and fitness center you mentioned. We are continuously working on improvements both on the staff as well as in the rooms. We are aware that our rates are higher than a motel 6 in some areas, but we are also less expensive than motel 6's in other areas. The rates depend on room availability as well as location. We are striving to offer a great value to our guests. I would like to apologize for your dogs getting spurs in their coats. I understand how difficult it is to get them out, as i have a long hair dog myself. We will try to provide a more "grassey" area, however, grass is something that isn't easy to come by in these areas. I have spoken with the staff as well as the General Manager and addressed all of your concerns. We hope you stop by and stay with us again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had stayed at the old Irish Inn about 5 years ago while driving from California to Boston and nowed that I would never stop there again. I was stuck in heavy rain and was tired after 15 hours of driving and pulled in against my will.... The hotel was now Motel 6. I expected filth as it was before, but I was shocked when I walked into the lobby and it was clean and the desk clerk Bo was friendly. I was given room 157 in the back. The room was newly updated, clean, had new carpet and everything woked. The only complaint I had was no clock in the room and only 2 towels. Other than that, what a dramatic change from the previous hotel owner. The room had a fridge and a microwave. Great parking for any large vehicles.

Room Tip: No elevator to second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Hello! Thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to write a review of our property. We like to evaluate our staff based on reviews, using both compliments and complaints. Bo is a great desk clerk and we are so glad that you agree. We are working hard to change things at the hotel and improve in every area possible. We are going through rennovations and are glad that you noticed what we have done so far. We hope you stay with us agian the next time you come through the area.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This area had few choices & arriving around 4:30 p.m. we just wanted a room. The clerk at check-in was friendly and pleasant. The room was clean, comfortable & large. Up to date bedding. There was a small refrigerator in the room. There was a table for the computer. And near the bed an easy chair. The only odd thing in the bathroom, the toilet paper holder had never been secured into the wall. Cable tv - average, WIFI worked good. There was NO channel listing for the tv or information about what was available at the motel.
I missed having in-room coffee available.
I was disappointed in the morning - went to the lobby to get coffee to take back to the room since they don't offer breakfast. The clerk made a snide remark about people drinking all the coffee. She preceeded to make new coffee - right in front of the next one & only person without letting him fill his cup and leave. ( there was still coffee available) Other than that we were very pleased with our stay. The hotel was pricey compared to other Motel 6 properties, but compared to other motels we priced in this area it was the most reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Hello Joey! Thank you for noticing the improvements we are making to the hotel and taking your time to write a review. As I am just now reading this review, almost a year later, I am sure that the staff member you spoke with is no longer with us. We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff with the guests. We aim to be professional, courteous, helpful and friendly. The desk agent you spoke with failed on all counts. We are glad that you noticed the improvements to the room. We hope you stay with us again the next time you drive through the area.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family usually avoids staying at Motel 6, but we were tired and the Best Western was filled up. So we got a room at Motel 6. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and comfortable. The best part of our stay was the water pressure in the shower. It was hard to get out. It was an very enjoyable shower experience. I would recommed this location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Hello Shelly! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We have been trying to make many great improvements to the hotel since new management took over and we are very pleased you have taken notice. We hope you stay with us again the next time you come through the area, we still have fantastic water pressure.