“Don't order a mixed drink here!”

Big Vern's Steakhouse
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Shamrock
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
NW Arkansas
“Don't order a mixed drink here!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel clerk where we were staying. This is a "no frills" cafe style restaurant with a bar. I ordered a glass of wine ($6) which was a decent pour. My husband ordered a mixed drink that was half full of crushed ice. Upon getting the bill, we discovered his drinks were $8 each.....not worth it. We each ordered chopped sirloin that was not as thick as I expected, and both were well done, although I requested medium. The dish came with a side of gravy which was needed for flavor. Our salads were fresh and included veggies like radish and cucumbers in addition to tomatoes. My potato casserole was tasty. I was not impressed, although a customer at the next table remarked to the server that his steak was awesome. Service was good.

1 Thank bbsnwa

• Polish first
Calgary, Canada
“Do not order alcohol”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was by myself and asked if I could eat in the bar. No problem, I was told. The problem is that if someone doesn't seat you, it will take forever to get served. The food was actually pretty good. I had chicken fried steak with mashed and gravy with a salad to start. I enjoyed it. I did order a bacardi and coke and when I got the bill, I was shocked to see that my drink cost 8.00
You have about 3 choices to make in town and one of them is McDonalds. It's okay to to eat there, just don't order alcohol.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank westcanguy
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Meal, Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We tried the chicken fried chicken -- Awesome -- and the chicken fried steak, very good. Salad was good, mashed potatoes and gravy nicely seasoned, very tasty. The food was not overly salty and delightfully peppery - not greasy in the least. Service is prompt, perfectly timed between courses. The wait staff work together to deliver food and the three of them handled a large service area that includes a full-service bar, without smoke(!) Prices were reasonable and food was perfect for an early dinner after a five-hundred mile drive. The beer muffins were sinfully yummy. Not for vegetarians or those looking to cut calories on dinner.

• Visited October 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Big Vern's, big surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've eaten here three times over the past three years while travelling through, and always had an excellent meal. The sirloin on my last visit was exceptional, tender and flavorful. Much better than the steak I had down the road at that other "Big" steakhouse.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank John K
NORMAN
“You have to try the corn muffins!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We stopped here after a long drive from Las Vegas. We were hungry and tired - and loved this place! The chicken fried steak was tender and tasty, the salad was fresh with lots of goodies. But the corn muffins were fantastic! I ate so many I couldn't finish my food. And the waitresses were friendly and helpful. We will be back!

2 Thank Jackie G