“A traveler's delight”

Big Vern's Steakhouse
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Shamrock
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was tired from driving all day and just wanted some good food to take back to our hotel room. After a bad experience at the other local restaurant in town, I came here and was greeted by the staff person who took my order and I left with my delicious food in under 15 minutes. THANKS from a very weary traveler...

1  Thank MOSasha

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Big Vern's in Shamrock is worth visiting if only for the BEST chicken fried steak I've ever had, in Texas or elsewhere. And that's saying a bunch...since I found in my time living in and visiting in
Texas that the dish is served in so many places it must, indeed, be "the state bird of Texas."
And the chicken fried steak at Big Vern's is tender and moist with a flaky crust. And it's that crust that way too often is soggy and sometimes even bitter. But not at Big Vern's....no sir re!!!!
It's the kind of restaurant that has little plastic "wild flowers" on the tables and a "road-friendly" menu for those of us hitting the trail again on I-40.
Go to Big Verns. Try their version of "the state bird of Texas." I think you'll like it.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I will not be back my daughter fixes better food than this place and she is only 5. the chicken alfredo was just blah and service not so good had to wait 20 mins for refill and never got rolls and friendsi ribeye over cooked. not really sure what the limit is on beer but I think they over serve some because on left pretty toasted and then drove away in wrong lane thats what you get when you serve alcholo with food

1  Thank zinder29
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This steakhouse on old Route 66 absolutely lived up to it's reputation. Not fancy, just good food. The steak we had (ordered well done - so hard to do) was cooked perfectly. Done, but still tender, and a great seasoning! The chicken fried steak was hand breaded, and they put the gravy underneath, what a great idea! The mashed potatos were obviously home cooked as well, as there were small bits of potato. Overall, I would definitely go there again!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

I got the biggest rib eye. I asked for med-med rare. The steak was well done and not the quality rib eye we're used to. There are other things on the menu. Good bread, real butter, good cheesy potatoes.

1  Thank Susan B