“Where's the seasoning?”

Grain Bin Cafe and Store
Ranked #43 of 106 Restaurants in Seguin
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 29, 2014

As a Texan you can generally tell if an eatery is good by how their chicken fried steak tastes. Three adults (me included) ordered the same meal - chicken fried steak - and were not impressed. It was as if someone forgot to add seasoning to the batter and meat. Why dine out if there isn't any flavor. I say skip this and journey a bit further down the road for a good local meal.

1  Thank Don A C

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My son from Dallas and my nephew and grand-nephew from Minnesota (with Texas and Oklahoma roots) joined me for Sunday afternoon dinner at the Grain Bin. The chicken fried steak, for which 3 of us were hungry, was excellent. It was large and crispy and flavorful. The mashed potatoes and cream gravy were perfect. The guys managed to finish theirs off, but I took home half to eat the next day. The youngest among us had chicken-fried chicken strips and thoroughly enjoyed them, too. Service was good, the iced tea was fresh, and I am sure we (and I) will go back. We even enjoyed looking at the blingy items in the front of the store, although we didn't buy any. The restaurant is small, and kind of in the middle of crop fields, located on St Hwy 123, between Seguin and San Marcos. The atmosphere is really casual, but blessedly not noisy.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have friends who rave about this place, so we took the boys out to try it on a Saturday night. My expectations were not met. Food was nothing special and quite pricey. Fried menu items had an aftertaste, like their frying oil was way overdue to be changed. Chicken fried steak was tough. Service was lackluster, to be polite. There seemed to be only two young, twenty-something girls serving and they looked and acted like they wished they had been anywhere but there. We asked for half sweet, half un-sweet tea for the kids, and were answered with a curt "We don't serve that." Huh? We won't be back anytime soon, the grain can stay in the bin, as far as I'm concerned.

2  Thank rigbychick
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

If you like country cooking and a friendly hometown atmosphere then this is the place for you. Very kid friendly. The only downer is it is a little pricey.