“Mixed feelings ... actually quite good food, but service was substandard”

Valdos Seafood House
Ranked #9 of 74 Restaurants in Seabrook
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: For succulent seafood and festive Cajun and Creole dining, come see us at Valdo’s Seafood House. We're one of the Houston areas most distinctive restaurants, serving fresh seafood from local waters with a definite Mexican flair. We have been serving the area with the most succulent Mexican and Seafood cuisine for more than 20 years. Call us for reservations, or simply come on in - either way, you're in for an unforgettable dining experience.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We asked the lady night receptionist at La Quinta where we could still go for a good last dinner on the last night of our holidays. Don't .... do your own research in travel guides or tripadvisor !! Okay during daytime the views must be great, but at 9h30 pm this place is almost empty and we got lucky they still wanted to serve us. We got a youngster as waiter, some college kid ... when asked what was a typical dish for the restaurant, he did not know; when asked what was the typical fish for the region, he did not know; when asked what wine he recommended ... well .... He did know that the soup of the day was a lobster bisque, so both of us took it. As main dish my wife took stuffed shrimps and myself a blackened fish of the day. Despite being virtually alone in the place, we noticed they had simply forgotton our starter ... as they showed up with both our main dishes. How clumsy can you be ? Luckily both our shrimps and blackened fish were very good, nicely prepared, good quality, and also the accompanying sweet potato mash and spinach were very very good to be honest. Just a pity it is not "fine cuisine" I mean you get this big big plate plenty of foodstuffs and it does not look pretty ... It is good, well done, but the presentation is completely missing; it is just a whole bunch of food on a big plate, like in Denny's ... but without the low prices at Denny's. This place has potential, but it does not come out yet.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

A disappointing and way overpriced meal. Maybe the chef had a bad night, otherwise I can't explain the previous positive reviews. The pasta was a glutinous, tasteless mess and the chicken inedible. The crab was also pushed aside. So what could we eat: the fries and shrimp were OK, but no better than you average fast-food joint. And the cost! If bill had been half what I paid I would have felt overcharged. I have not had a meal this poor in a long while.

The restaurant has a good location - they need to look long and hard at the quality of the food they're pushing out.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

During a day layover in Houston, we stopped at the Space Centre and then were going to go to the Kemah boardwalk. Saw Valdo's as we passed by; the boardwalk was a crowded gong show and could not find parking, so headed back to have lunch at Valdo's. We ordered drinks, an appetizer and lunch. The waitress was friendly and polite. We had the stuffed jalepeno appetizer - beware that it comes with five pieces and it is huge! Very tasty. I had the seafood enchilada and my husband had the shrimp etouffee. Both dishes were very well prepared, with more food than either of us could eat. Needless to say, dessert was out of the question. It was nice overlooking the water and watching the boats go by. I do not think we will find ourselves in this area again, however, I would recommend this restaurant. It was a nice find.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have eaten here several times. The food is always fantastic. On our last visit, I had Stuffed Snapper. It was spicy and had great flavor. My wife had the shrimp bisque and loved it. The vegetables served with the meal are plentiful and delicious. They really make vegetables sing.

Areas that could be improved.
-The tables and chairs are quite worn and dated.
-The décor is almost non existent.
-The bar is mostly open to the dining area. This would be ok if the gentleman at the bar did not have to talk so loud that the whole restaurant could hear him. Believe it or not, no everyone wants to know where you went to high school and what a great jock you were.

Overall, I know of no better food served anywhere but lots of updating needs to be done to the facility.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

A waitress at another location recommended Valdos. I like the area that it is located in and there are other options right beside it. Its also accessible by boat which is important for certain patrons to know. I just thought the food was OK. A friend traveling with me enjoyed his Cajun flavored plate. The place was packed and I felt constricted somewhat at my table. I also felt too close to the entertainment for my conmfort (a blind guy was playing and he had talent). I would go back if traveling with people who insisted. Seems to be too many other good options I need to try first.