“Nice atmosphere, mediocre food”

The Cock & Bull Pub and Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Cock & Bull British Pub & Restaurant serves American Food and TRUE Brit Food every night of the week - Monday through Sunday! We have 18 Beers on Tap, plus a WIDE Selection of bottles. We have wide range of Wine Selections.The environment is fun and the Staff is very friendly. Great Place, Great Service, Great Food, Great Wines and Loads of Great Beers.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have ordered from the Happy Hour menu twice, and both times, the food was disappointing. While I realize this is not a full portion, when I ordered fish and chips, it was a lot of chips and one piece of lukewarm fish. The next time, I tried the chicken tikka masala. Tikka masala is supposed to be roast chicken chunks in a sauce. This was a (small) grilled chicken breast with a masala-like sauce on top of it. The jasmine rice was dry; the naan bread was good, though. A glass of house wine was $6, not a bad price for a nice malbec. I love the cozy atmosphere, and the Queen's Library in the back certainly offers opportunities for privacy. One can talk reasonably in the dining room as the noise level is low. I would probably love this place, although the full dinner menu is a little pricey, if they could just ramp up the quality of the food.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I was hoping for a great Valentines day dinner, Seated at 7 dinner was not brought out till about 10:30 , I think the place has charm and class, and an excellent staff, however when I complained a woman who may have been the manager said she would discount the evening by half. I walked out and havent been back

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Hubby and I stopped by mid-afternoon for a quick bite before heading back to Houston. We loved the ambiance. It feels truly authentic and brought back fond memories of our last trip to the UK. The place was empty and we were served very quickly. The waiter was extremely attentive. It is definitely a "do over" for us. Just a note - the hummus tasted a bit store bought. Not a bad idea to make it from scratch as this could be a popular item on the menu.

1  Thank FrmrJamaican M
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I have written a review in the past raving about this place. I cannot do the same now. New management would be the issue. The food is not good and the beer and wine selection are bad. Just think Sysco with high prices. The atmoshpere is awful...the folks behind the bar are unattentive and have no personality! You are better off at Gilhooleys, Skalywags, or even your house with friends and a six pack. Try somewhere else this place has gone to the birds.

1  Thank Gwen M
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Ate here on a Saturday night. Pleasant atmosphere and decor. Live music was good. The menu mentions that eating there is an event that is not to be rushed.

Started out with a hard apple cider drink and cauliflower soup. Both were good. Moved on to Shepherd's Pie and Steak and Mushroom pie. The Shepherd's Pie was good. The Steak and Mushroom pie wasn't so good. The crust was perfect, the mushrooms and sauce were tasty but the "steak" (mentioned as prime rib) was tough, stringy and chewy. For dessert we got a dark chocolate orange fondue which was pretty good.

With the exception of the Steak and Mushroom Pie, I think the C&B Pub did a respectable job of emulating the experience we have had in pubs in England and Ireland. Those pubs also had service that was more slow-paced and deliberate. Two hours for a meal was the norm, not the exception.

Hopefully, the kitchen will improve the consistency of the food before we go back.