“Mixed Reviews Understood”

Frank's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Schulenburg
Cuisines: American, German
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

When we checked the Trip Advisor prior to lunch, we noted the wide variance in the reviews. After dining here, our group of three had mixed reviews too. My hubby loved the fried catfish and said it was very fresh. The green beans were soaked in butter, but had no other flavor. The mash potatoes and cream gravy were just ok. My friend had the homemade chicken noodle soup and really liked it. Iceberg lettuce salad. What can I say? The roast beef, mash potatoes with brown gravy and squash were very bland. I really liked the cheese and onion enchiladas (not Tex Mex style) with chili. The pinto beans were yummy. The rice was not. Worth a stop if you want to roll the dice.

1  Thank JoInTexas

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Frank's offers home-cooked meals at country prices. Bread is freshly baked in Schulenburg. Try not to hit right at meal time, though -- they're really crowded!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Intrigued by the retro sign and 80-year history, we stopped for a late lunch. All I can assume is that this restaurant was really different in earlier times. Now, it's mediocre at best. The food was overpriced for the quality--not expensive, just too much for food that was mostly tasteless. Someone needs to introduce Frank's to something other than iceberg lettuce, and I don't believe there is a spice rack in the place. My advice is to go somewhere else.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

When we were seated, the waitress quickly took our order, but it took over 30 minutes for our food to come out in a mostly empty restaurant. Our order was very simple of 2 cold sandwiches, 2 hamburgers, and a frito pie. Sandwiches were ok. Frito pie was soggy and chili was watery. Waitress responded that she had heard this complaint before. I only ate half of it. Waitress did not offer to remove item from bill.
There is an odd taste to the water there, as of it is chlorinated.
Unfortunately, on the weekend there is not much open in this town besides fast food.

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I love trip advisor. We were passing thru Schulenburg around lunch on Sunday, I read the reviews on Franks and we decided to stop and try the food.
I had the German sausage with kraut/potato salad and it was wonderful. My husband had the fried shrimp which was also very good. Once he tried the kraut, he had to order a side for himself. Whoever is the cook knows how to cook kraut. It was delicious. Our waitress kept our glasses full and was attentive to where we were in the meal.
We would eat there again.