“Just okay.”

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
“Just okay.”
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We chose this hotel because of the low price and convenient location. Those are pretty much the only good things.

The rooms are okay, sort of what you'd expect. Not dirty, really, but not pretty either. The pool seemed nice - we didn't use it. The outside of the hotel is not very attractive - I actually thought it was closed at first. The staff was friendly enough.

My big disappointment was the continental breakfast. I don't expect much from a free breakfast, but this was so lame it was insulting. There was one table with only 4 chairs, so you had to take your food back to your room if you weren't the first guest there. The breakfast consisted of coffee and two boxes of store-bought, generic brand muffins and pastries. They didn't even bother to put them on a serving dish - just slit open the plastic on top of the box and threw the box on the counter.

Honestly, there are a lot of cheap hotels in San Marcos - if I ever return, I'll try a different one.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I booked a room through the Choice Hotels website after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. My intent was to have a second honeymoon in the beautiful Texas hill country. In hindsite I realize that I should have stayed at The Embassy Suites due to the littany of problems that we encountered at this overrated excuse for a "Hotel ".I called them a few days prior to see about having some roses delivered to our room and the clerk had no idea what a concierge was and could barely speak English. Not a big deal so we arrive to check in with no problems ( yet ) . upon entering our room we were pleased with the cleanliness and we didn't see any roaches. Our first indication that all was not well was when we started hearing people running up and down the stairs and yelling profanities at each other. M.F. this and M.F.that. This went on all weekend long. along with blaring Rap and Hip Hop music. I thought that we were at a Gangsta' Rap convention. We called the office and were told the problem would be taken care of and tried to get some sleep. We were awakened several times during the night by these hoodlums. At 7:00 a.m. the next morning the Rap Music started up again and I again called the office to request a change of rooms. These Jerks were up above us as well as the rooms on either side of us.We were told that the manager was the only one who could authorize a change but was unavailable to do so. We waited and waited with no response. Saturday Night there was a physical altercation amongst the Gangsters replete with obscenities and throwing things, Slamming doors , Etc. I was about to go outside and confront them but my wife fearing that I would get shot convinced me to stay inside.When we checked out first thing on Sunday morning I inquired to the housekeeper about the over the top obnoxious holes and was told that they are a group of traveling magazine salesmen. I researched them ( D & T Connections, Atlanta G.A.) and found that they have a history of deceit and run ins with the law. They put ads in papers in inner city areas and offer glamorous sounding jobs that promise lots of money and travel to all major cities.They shuttle them all over the country in vans and put them up in motels four to a room. When they get on the road they are subject to quotas and threats of abandonment if they do not achieve their quotas.. My research provided many instances of drug abuse , sexual harassment , and identity theft associated with this travelling menace known as a "Mag Crew" . When I got home I filed a complaint with Choice Hotels and received a form letter and a 20 % credit to my account. The facts that the general manager did not move us as well as not take the time to write a personal response indicates that they receive a lot of complaints about this property. The grounds of the property were littered and the pool had a bloom of algae that rendered it unswimmable. The refrigerator in our room as well as the radio were broken. When we checked the desk clerk asked me if we had a good weekend and he was honestly unaware of any of the problems we had experienced. He told me that this group had been there before and had caused problems and that he asked the manager why he let them return . He was told that the hotel needed the revenue. If anyone doubts me just Google Magazine Crews and see what comes up.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SKOTPHREA
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I booked a 2 night stay at the Rodeway Inn because of the proximity to Texas State. After reading some reviews of motels in the area I decided on this place. While there are many nicer hotels in the area, your choices are narrowed down by which one accepts pets and a dog was traveling along.

The hotel has definitely seen better days but its did its job and is semi-nicely kept. up. The walls are rather thin as I could here what was going on in the room next door and the traffic noise out on the road. The continental breakfast was one of the worst breakfasts I have ever seen but there are plenty of places nearby to get a quick breakfast.

One of the highpoints is the open spaces for pets to "do their business" and the mattresses weren't that bad either so I was able to get a good night sleep-- I noticed they were Sertas. But the best point is Texas State is literally right down the road.

Would I return probably not because next time I return I will not bring the dog and will stay at the Quality Inn across the street. When your paying $55 a night you don't expect a Hilton but it served it purpose in my opinion which was a place to lay my head at night.

• Liked — Proximity to Texas State
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We drove around town and selected this motel specifically for its large, grassy grounds which are great for walking the dog, as they do accept pets. Although a classic, older hotel, bathroom and room were updated with new fixtures. Being on a side street, this hotel is a bit quieter than one that faces the freeway directly. Chose to eat a big, hot breakfast at a restaurant, within short walking distance, around the corner. I believe the pool and grassy courtyard grounds would be great for kids, if you have them.

Stayed September 2008
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My 3 grandchildren, son, and I spent 2 comfortable nights Aug.3-5, 2008. Staff was very helpful in getting adjoining rooms AND early check-in. Breakfast was sparce but adequate. We enjoyed our stay. The pool was excellent. WE woild stay again.
Granny M

• Liked — pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank GrannymTexas
texas
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My wife had registered/paid through Priceline. I didn't know this and when the cleark asked me for a credit card I gave him one. When I learned i was already paid up I went to the front desk. When I asked for the manager after explaining what had happened I was told "she is resting and cannnot be disturbed". Of course I got excited, threatened to call to police but left to claim down. When I came back they stated they found my paperwork and said they credited my credit card. When I got home they did not do so.

The rooms were what a low rate hotel are like. Fairly clean but very basic. SERVICE SUCKS!!!

Now I'm in the process of dealing with all that.

DON'T STAY HERE

• Liked — Nothing, the location was OK but after being ripped and paying twice for the room I would never recommend thieves
  • Disliked — The management and Staff, and getting stolen from
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
mariem1
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Had uninvited guest (roaches), building very old and not maintained very well. Room looked presentable enough, however had to lysol EVERYTHING before using. Pool area was clean. Was afraid to eat complimentry breakfast if there was roaches in the room , where else might they be!!!! I would NOT stay here again.

Stayed October 2007