“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Magnolia, Texas
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I let my husband book and find a hotel for our stay in San Marcos. We only needed to stay for one night and I figured I could live with whatever he found. I was pleasantly surprised that this hotel was clean and it also smelled good. You know how some hotels have that stale smell? This one was good considering it's an older place. Our room was clean. There was soap and shampoo and a hair dryer. The water is the kind where you never feel like you get the soap rinsed off and it never got really hot, but, it was tolerable. The a/c worked great and the bed was super comfortable. We had some of the best sleep we've had in a long time.
When we first arrived we were sent to a room that claimed to be non-smoking, but I noticed it didn't have the little sign on the door like some of the others...and when we walked in, I KNEW it used to be a smoking room...that smell just doesn't go away. I called the front desk and she graciously switched us to another room and I was a happy camper from then on out. We were only minutes from the Cheathum Street Warehouse where we went to hear a wonderful band that evening. I would stay here again if I planned on going to Cheathum Street.....even if I didn't drive, it's within walking, or stumbling distance!

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank margierita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Baytown, Tx
Reviewed March 22, 2008

Room was dirty, carpet filthy afraid to walk on with bare feet, cobwebs in bathrooms, sheets had holes in them. Did not fill safe and would not stay here again. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Disliked — room was filthy
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kc2834

Travelers are raving about these San Marcos hotels

Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Non-Smoking only means there is nobody smoking at the moment. Cobwebs in the bathroom; sheetrock coming off walls; filthy carpeting; towels were gray from previous use. No need to complain - Managers are college kids. Very disappointing.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank falsepretenses
hims1980, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, December 22, 2007
Guest had booked smoking room, when arrived at hotel, wanted a non smoking room, we were sold out. We had guaranteed what the guest had made the reservation.
Stafford
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Don't waste your time, Econolodge in San Marcos is a dump.!!!!
The room had a full size crusty stove, holes in bedspread and door has gaps around the doorframe. Carpeting felt sticky, didn't feel comfortable or safe. I asked for a refund and found another hotel

• Liked — LOCATION, RIGHT OFF THE FREEWASY
  • Disliked — HOTEL WAS OLD, NASTY AND DIRTY
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank mary R
Houston,Texas
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Whatever you do, skip this one! We booked 2 non-smoking rooms through PriceLine, and the rooms were filthy! There were small roaches, no hot water, hair in the bed, and trash under the bed. This is definitely not worth saving a few dollars and I will warn everyone I know not to stay here.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Love2Travel234
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2006

My husband and I were in town for a wedding and he had booked this hotel online. When we got in the room, we were very disappointed. The room was very small, it was not very well lighted, it was dirty, and a weird thing was that the sink was really short. In the bathroom there was a really strange hole near the top of the ceiling. We went to bed and only found two pillows. They were rock hard. I am pregnant so I have to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. My sweet husband let me have both pillows.
The blanket on the bed was the scratchiest blanket I have ever seen, I think horse hair would have been softer. The remote to our TV also did not work. The woman working at the front desk tried twice, but she said maybe someone stole the one that was supposed to go with the TV. Overall, I would say the people were nice, but it was VERY overpriced. We paid $90. Next time we will pay an extra 20 bucks and get a decent place to stay.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 12, 2005

Very accomodating owners. We had made reservations the Monday before Rita was to hit the South Texas area and they did not ask for a credit card, gave us a courtesy hold. When we wound up getting caught in the nightmare traffic, I called and told them to please not give our room away, that we were trying to make it there... she said not to worry, she still didn't need a credit card and our room would be there. When we arrived at 4:30 a.m. (after a 14-hour trip from Houston area) our room was there - fresh, clean and what I would expect any motel room to look like. During our stay, they were more than accomodating not needing pre-payment and though we had reserved through the weekend, they let us pay day-by-day knowing that we might leave early.

I wouldn't normally stay here for an extended stay, but for a night or two, I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2005