Crystal River Inn
$110
Country Inn
Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$76
$153
$139
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Candlewood Suites(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$104
$109
$90
$87
Agoda.com
Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$109
Holiday Inn San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$103
All reviewsthe main houseb bmurder mysterybed and breakfastrock houserio grandehill countryhome away from homekitchen areajacuzzi tubnext morningcathyreginatexascypresscollegelinens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Four couples (friends from college) stayed together in the Thomas House, next door to the main house during a Texas State football weekend. We all agreed that there were good and bad aspects to the Crystal River Inn. The good: The breakfasts were amazing! The patio in back was a great gathering spot and we even invited some other friends to join us there after the game where we enjoyed visiting and enjoying our own refreshments. The staff was very friendly and offered advice on restauants close by. It was nice to have the upstairs part of the Thomas House all to ourselves. The not so good: The traffic noise, noise from the bar next to the main house and trains were so loud that sleep was next to impossible. We had one of the "quieter" rooms, the San Miguel, but to us, it wasn't quiet, at all. The place could use a good deep cleaning (wipe down the front porch railings, so at least guests could lean against it without getting dirty, since there are only 2 rocking chairs out there) and removal of the plastic, dust covered plants in the bathroom. The first night the linens on our bed were a polyester type fabric... NOT comfortable. The second day, I asked the housekeeper to replace the linens with cotton sheets and she did, to her credit. The facility should also have a room with a TV for groups to gather. The "library" is the only place available and they play music from the 1940s and 1950s on the stereo. They could also use some additional outdoor furniture on the front porches and the back patio so that more than 4 guests can gather.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2012

While in Texas on a business trip, I was looking for a centrally located, quiet, clean property to stay at. I was relying on online reviews to steer me. Crystal Inn looked like the perfect spot, walking distance to the river, downtown, and University, but some reviews were less then kind, so I called the property directly and spoke with the owners. After chatting and getting a great vibe I decided to give Crystal Inn a shot. I am so glad I did!!! The owners and staff were extremely efficient, welcoming and helpful. My room, the 'rio grande,' was very comfortable and quiet, without the 'over bleached' smell you usually get at hotels. Breakfast was absolutely amazing every morning in the main house, (asparagus quiche with sausage, coffee, fruit and oj, yum yum.) The grounds make you forget your a stones throw from the center of town. Stay at the Crystal River Inn and you'll have a wonderful experience! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rio Grande: personal fridge, separate entrance, fridge
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have children at Texas State and the Crystal River Inn is the only place we have stayed in San Marcos for the past 6 years! The inn has very nice rooms, pretty landscaping, and within walking distance of campus and the square. Tubing on the rivers and shopping is also very close. The breakfasts are very good and the owners and staff are very helpful and pleasant. This is definitely an inn with that nice, homey feel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was a bit saddened when scrolling through some of the guest reviews on here. Clearly, they have no appreciation for the hard work and dedication put in each and every day by the staff of The Crystal River Inn. My family stayed the weekend for my college graduation, and they all loved it. My grandparents stayed in the Thomas House, which is right next door, and thought their room was bursting with cheer and charm. My mother, father, and three siblings occupied the San Marcos Suite in the Rock House. That room is a superior choice for those traveling with children. It is two adjoining rooms; one with a king sized bed and the other room has two twin beds. The bathroom had a huge jacuzzi tub and even bath bubbles for ultimate relaxation. The kids loved the garden and were kept entertained by the gold fish pond and the outdoor kitty, Ellie Mae who roams the property. Breakfast was wonderful! Some of us went to the bar next door the night before, so food was in order! The coffee, the fresh bread, and the fruit were all so good I didn't even need what was next. A gourmet egg casserole with smoked sausage. Yum yum yum. Everyone on staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Location is supreme! Within walking distance of all this little cities attractions. We all loved it!

Thank you Mike and Kathy for making it such a pleasant stay for all of us! You are appreciated!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My family and I stayed in the rock house. And when we arrived we were greeted nicely but then had lots of trouble finding our room and also a parking spot. When we finally did get in the room it was very cozy I give it that, but too dark. We all hated that the tub didn't have a shower curtain so when you took a shower the carpet got completely soaked. The door to the room did not close unless you locked it. The beds were alright. And the decoration seemed fitting but could be more updated. But let me also just say you can hear everything going on in the next room! Everything! The walls are super thin. We also thought the community bathroom amenities were so un-classy. I mean who wants to really use USED lotion? An one last thing all the cats running around were horrible. All I did was sneeze while I was there because of being allergic. So, overall it was nice but not really worth the money.

BTW- the breakfast was good but you NEED more choices! 1 drink selection really stinks.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Amanda C
KathrynSanMarcos, Owner at Crystal River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

We normally do have a selection of juices along with coffee and teas; we apologize for whatever was wrong on this particular morning. Parking is plentiful and right beside whichever building you're in, just steps from your room, a very far cry from what you'll find at ordinary hotels. The "cats" remark deserves comment: cats are NEVER allowed inside our buildings because we really care about guest allergies. We do have one outdoor cat, a friendly kitty named Ellie May who inhabits the garden and is easily shooed away if you don't want to touch her. We do have group amenities baskets filled with lots of little bottles and assorted goodies. If someone put an open bottle of lotion into one of them, that should not have happened. The door she complained about had a broken latch and is long since fixed. And finally, the San Marcos suite is the room with the decadent tub open to the room without a curtain, fair notice to anyone who requires a curtain! All other 11 rooms have quite proper shower curtains. We appreciate the feedback.