Crystal River Inn
$108
Country Inn
Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$76
$153
$139
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Candlewood Suites(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$104
$128
$107
$90
$124
Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$109
$109
Holiday Inn San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$103
All reviewsthe main houseb bmurder mysterybed and breakfastrock houserio grandehill countryhome away from homekitchen areajacuzzi tubnext morningcathyreginatexascypresscollegelinens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 3, 2007

Perhaps the rooms in the main house are different, but I would advise against staying in the Young House. The carpet(commercial grade) is old and very dirty. I wore socks rather than walk barefoot on carpet. The rugs in bathroom looked dirty as well. It makes me wonder how often the comforters on the bed are laundered . Maybe some things in the room were antique, mostly cheaply-made "adornments". It is on a busy street and is pretty noisy. You have to walk across the street for breakfast also. Mainly though, it's very dirty and, I think, overpriced for what you get. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank lauriro
KathrynSanMarcos, owner/innkeeper at Crystal River Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2007

We were all horrified to read this review, and at a loss as to what unique circumstances explained this guest's reaction to our inn. We've been here 23 years, have a very high returnee rate, and are not exactly used to having people call our beautiful inn "dirty". Had she called our attention to any of her complaints during her stay, we'd have leapt through hoops to satisfy her!

That having been said, she stayed in our Young Building annex during the last month of its life. We sold it in August, and bought a great building right next door to the inn where our 4 newest and most glamorous rooms now reside. Our housekeepers vow to do their utmost to never give a guest the reason to write such a heartbreaking review again. As hard as they work, and as happy as our thousands of other yearly guests leave here, we hate having made her so unhappy.

Reviewed September 28, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Crystal River Inn for our honeymoon. It was so romantic. We sat in the rose garden and shared life goals. The staff were so great, and so sweet! They had champagne, chocolates, and rose petals scattered in the room for when we arrived. One of the lovely ladies even helped my husband out with a lovely toast she found, to get him over a honeymoon faux paux. It was wonderful, and I would highly recommend a stay there to anyone. There are several things to do all very close. We were there 3 nights, 4 days and were never bored.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank txn2thhrt
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I stayed in the Blanco Suite at this lovely B&B this past week. I was there with my daughter and infant son. I could not have been more pleased. The hotel's presentation is beautiful with gorgeous, well tended outdoor rose garden, fish pond and lovely terrace upstairs to relax on. The Blanco Suite is a two bedroom, and it was perfect for my family and I. They provided me a pack-n-play crib for my son, and always asked how we were and if we needed anything. This hotel is loved and cared for by employees that obviously have a personal fondness for their job and the house itself. Breakfast each morning was lovely and served in a nice dining room. It included homemade muffins and bread each day, fresh fruit and a hot item (scrambled eggs, waffles etc...) We were invited to enjoy the house with it's library (brandy and chocolates each night) and gift shop full of unique, quality souvenir items, rose garden and fish pond areas. Parking was not an issue and was always available. The staff recommended and then provided us a blanket to take to the outdoor free concert in the park. On my last night, I mentioned that I would be leaving at 4am, and would not be needing breakfast the next morning. Much to my surprise, I was asked if I would like to have the coffee pot set up so I could have coffee, and was then left a homemade muffin as well! The service was personal, caring and wonderful at this great B&B in San Marcos! Highly recommended for those who like a "home" away from home."

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 18, 2005

Delightful innkeepers, Mike and Cathy Dillion wined and dined us through an outstanding Murder Mystery Weekend. The accommodations were luxurious, the food was sumptuous and the Mystery was intriguing. We began our weekend with a delicious and very romantic gourmet picnic on the veranda, including champagne and a sinfully delicious chocolate and caramel covered apple. Throughout the weekend two breakfasts and one dinner were served with perfect style and taste. A wonderful massage in the afternoon relaxed and prepared us for the evenings mysterious events. The company of the innkeepers enhanced every activity and meal and they added their own down south warmth and hospitality to our stay. Both Mike and Cathy were replete with information regarding what to do in the local vicinity including maps and coupons. We have already told several of our friends who share our love of B & B's that the Crystal River Inn is a must!!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new orleans, LA
Reviewed September 19, 2004

We were guests at the Crystal River Inn on 09/17&18, 2004. We had reserved the Blanco Suite (most expensive room at the property) because it seemed to fit our requirements based on the information on their website.

We arrived at 5:00 pm and were promptly asked to fill out guest information and given our room keys.

We were escorted to our room by a very friendly employee and given a brief tour and description of the room and the next morning's activities.

The condition of the room was not good. While we did not feel unsanitary, the room was very worn and much in need of updating, cleaning and painting. No phone in room, carpet dirty, door not working properly, small TV not easily visible from bed, other bed room had no door for privacy, no hair dryer, air conditioning inadequate.

We have traveled extensively and were very uncomfortable in this room.

The next morning we were served a very good breakfast in the family style dining room and had good conversation with the owners about directions for walking and things of local interest. We were informed that a party was being held in the courtyard that afternoon, but all the attendees would be coming in through the backof the property and there would be no problem. We left for about a 3 hour sightseeing trip and upon returning found the driveway to the parking area to be completely blocked by a vehicle. We were forced to park on the street 2 blocks away. We went inside and asked about having the car moved in the driveway so that we could access our assigned parking place and were told that the driveway had been blocked on purpose to keep cars away from the courtyard area and we would have to park somewhere else for the next several hours. The owners were no where to be found and we were forced to accept this situation.

The Crystal River Inn is in a great location within walking distance of Texas State University campus and several of the better restaurants in San Marcos.

I would not stay at this property again and continue to be skeptical of internet descriptions and small photos of amenities and rooms.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member