“Don't judge BW by this one!!!”

Best Western San Marcos
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed in the San Marcos Best Western on a family trip. If this had been the first Best Western I/we had visited, it would have been the last! I don't see how it got all of the high ratings. The room was old and has been in need of refurbishing for years. The only request was a non-smoking room - we did not get it. I certainly understand that is not a given, but the smell hit you in the face like a brick. The room was dingy -it was relatively clean, but I found hair in the towels! The noise from the refrigerator fan kept me up every time it kicked on. There was also no elevator. There may be many Best Westerns that do not, but this was another first. I have stayed in probably ten different ones, and they all had elevators. I take the stairs 90% of the time, except when carrying bags and kids, etc. The view out the window was of a brush pile. Mind you, this was probably better than to be facing the interstate, so this is not a gripe. I will not stay at this BW again, but will still at the others I am familiar with. This was really on par with your standard budget motel that is in the $20-40 range. I feel cheated for the quality of the room, although it served the purpose, I suppose. The best part of the place is that the staff were friendly. They did warn me that if I went out the back door, that the reader would probably not let me back in. That exit was like a back alley, by the way. I definitely would not want my family using that exit.

I don't like giving reviews like this, but this place was truly that bad. They are not deserving of one of the best places in San Marcos in its current state.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank jmark999
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear jmark999,

Thank you for taking time to write review on tripadvisor. It is very important for us to know how we are doing and your review will help us improve more and give the best. I apologize for inconvenience you had during your stay with us. I request you to contact me directly so I can discuss these issues with you. My number is 512.754.7557 or email me at 44427@hotel.bestestern.com. Once again I apologize and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

I chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. It was rated as the cleanest one within our budget. When I called to book the hotel I was offered the Manager's Special (10% off). We stayed one night. The lady at check-in was very welcoming. Our room was clean, however the blow dryer mount refused to stay on the wall in the bathroom. We all enjoyed Texas-shaped waffles for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle T
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Michelle T,

Thank you very much for writing about your stay and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Our goal is to make our guest's stay pleasant and comfortable. I am sorry about the blow dryer on the wall, I will make sure that it is fixed. Thank you once again. Hope you to see you again when you are in town.

Thanks

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great deal for the money - very pleasant and helpful staff. Nice coffee/tea bar in the lobby where we are told we can even get hot water at late hours. We enjoyed a good night's rest - expected noise from busy I-35, but were not in the least bothered by any. Suggestion for where to have dinner were right on - thanks Best Western San Marcos

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Guenther P

Dear Guenther P,

Thank you for taking time to write review on tripadvisor, we really appreciate it. We strive to give our guests most comfortable stay and I am glad we were able to do it. We hope to see you again when you are in San Marcos.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Comfortable and clean resulted in good night's sleep. Hotel is located near the San Marcos Shopping Mall and about 45 mins from Austin. We would stay at this hotel in the future and would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CrackerCat
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear CrackerCat,

Thank you for taking time to share about your experience. We really appreciate it. We love to hear from our guests on how we are doing as it gives opportunity to improve in all our aspect. I am glad that we had a comfortable stay and will come back to stay with us. Please give us a call if you need any further assistance with your reservation.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed at this hotel as we were going to an air show in the area. We just wanted a place to stay for one night and the Best Western was as good as any other in the area. Our room was older and needed updating but was clean. The bed was comfortable. The included breakfast was just ok. But I guess we got what we paid for.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear LindaPWillsPoint,

Thank you for taking time to write review on your stay at our property recently. Your feedback is very important to us so we can improve. If there is anything we can improve and make it special for please let us know as we want our guest to have comfortable and enjoyable stay.

If you are in San Marcos again in future, please do not hesitate to call hotel for reservation or any assistance you may need.

Once again thank you very much!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is one of my favorite hotels to stay at while in San Marcos, TX. I'm here on business and can spend much more via my business, but I prefer to stay here. The bed is more comfortable than other places I have stayed, and the staff is much more professional than other similar hotels.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Mike M,

Thank you for taking time to write about your stay with us. We are very glad to know that you enjoy staying at our property. Our goal is make each guest's stay comfortable and enjoyable and make them feel at home. I would definitely pass your compliments to my staff. Thank you once again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My mostly comfortable room was marred by a hot-water leakey faucet. However, the general manager went out of his way to see that it was taken care of and fixed. He quickly called a technician to fix a leak, but when the tech couldn't do the job the general manager himself came to our room to fix the lead.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear Ctjbush,

Thank you very much for taking time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us despite the leakage.

Hope to see you again in San Marcos!