“Not Again!”

Best Western San Marcos
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels, and I am not hard to please. As far as the room it's ok the beds and pillows I found to be hard. The room was bare but did offer a fridge and microwave. The bathroom is small. They offer breakfast but not much selection nothing like BW I've stayed at in the past. They have a pool, no business center but they do have a computer in the lobby are for email checking only. Then what left a bad taste in my mouth because we stay at hotels all the time I've NEVER paid for copies. If you wanted to print something it was 0.50!!!!! I had to print our Schlitterbahn tickets it was $5.00, and when they printed out you could hardly read it bc they are out of ink I told the lady I think you should charge me 0.25 since you can barely see the ink. She still charges me, and we are Platinum Reward Members that's a lot of $ being spent at BW to reach that status. Next time I will go else where to a more customer friendly hotel that's is not worried about every nickel and dime they can out of you. Even in your bathroom of the hotel room they have a list of charges should you take a towel, hand towel, pillow ext. Who does that?!?! Never again!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear carmickleklan,

Thank you very much for taking time to write and share your experince about your stay at our hotel. Unfortunately, we could not meet your expectation, which is always our goal - superior customer service and we strive to make it happen.
As far as, charging for copies - we often waive copies fee upon request but normally when guests have lot to print we do charge. Our signs in bathroom is for guests who wants to buy our products. We have many guests who come to the desk and asks if they can buy our pillows or sheets or towels etc. that's why we have put up that sign to let our guests know that they can buy if they want to.
However, hope we will get another chance to serve you in future. Please get in touch with me directly so I can assist you with any concerns you may have.

Mike Patel

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Cheaper than New Braunfels area! It was the perfect place for our family for a weekend trip! Nice staff, clean room, comfy bed that you do not expect from a small hotel, good breakfast and overall great place. We would stay here again! Oh and the pool stays open till 11:00pm. Most close at 10:00. **It is located at the end of the building and there was no noise heard:)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Brandie,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience. Our goal is to create a memorable stay for our guest and we are able to do so with you. Thank you for choosing our hotel and hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family of 5 ALL slept horribly last night. The bed felt like it was made out of brick and all the pillows were hard and felt like they were about a foot thick. Waste of money; I'll hafta think twice about staying at a B. W. again any time soon.

• Stayed: July 2013
Mike P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for taking time to write about your experience at our property. We are sorry about your bad experience, we strive to serve our guest with the best of everything, however your experience did not match our goal. Though our bedding and pillows are recently changed and fairly new and we have been getting lot of compliment of how comfortable our beds are but your experience has definitely helped us to look into it. Thank you once again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

It was adequate. It seemed clean enough but the hallway smelled weird. We were promptly moved to another room when our first didn't have a good A/C. Breakfast was less than expected. The toaster didnt work but the coffee was decent. My husband's waffle looked fine. Hotel was definitely overpriced at $89-ish.

• Stayed: July 2013
Mike P, Owner at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear CheriR,

Thank you so much for choosing our Best Western for your lodging needs. We always strive to be so much more than simply "adequate" and we invite you back to experience the "Wow!" of it all!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I made my reservation before several of the reviews right before mine were completed. I found the hotel to be very quiet. Yes, the tub dripped but you couldn't hear it unless you were in the bathroom and therefore it wasn't a nuisance. The room was very clean and neat. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was okay they had some hot items-(eggs, make-your-own waffles), toast, bagels, and cereal. We didn't use the pool. It was slightly higher than I expected, but assumed it was due to the location. The staff I had interaction with were friendly and helpful. I stayed there two nights while my daughter took a tour of the Texas State University. I will stay there again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear janet79720,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write your review! It is a pleasure to know that we met your lodging needs and provided you with a clean, comfortable room.

Always keep us in mind when you are visiting your daughter while she is away at college!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I used some of my rewards points for 2 rooms at this property and as soon as I checked in I realized it was a mistake. The desk clerk was outside smoking for one. When I asked if it was better to enter through the back entrance because it was closer she said not really. I explained my fiancé was on oxygen and could not walk very far or stand for long periods and she said that it could take up to 15 or 20 tries to get in the door because the mechanism is tricky. I then remembered this from a previous stay 2 years ago. She gave me a room closer to the lobby. There was not guest directory in the room and I went to the front desk to ask about that and stood there calling out for someone a few times when gentleman told me they were outside smoking again. She didn't even apologize and I was told to look in the nightstand. I have stayed in enough places to know where to look. She said they would bring one to the room. We left to visit friends and returned late. The next morning I had to call the front desk to find out the breakfast hours because we never got a directory nor did my sister who was staying in another room.. I did find 2 outdated phone books in the drawer. One date 2011 yellow pages and another for the 2011-2012 period. I also found a Travelhost magazine for Austin TX dated Nov-Jan. There wasn't even a pen or pencil in the room to write anything down (for a reason I presume).

Room Tip: Don't; take a room by the rear entrance.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear marksw12,

I am so very sorry that the front desk clerk displayed such an uncaring attitude. I have spoken with the person in question and she has been reprimanded. As to the issue of the Directory, each of our rooms should have one which would give a wealth of information regarding our property as well as the San Marcos area. Extra copies of the directories were not accessible to the front desk at that time.

The side entrance has been an issue for quite some time. We have repeatedly replaced the card reader and have even had a technician on-site to try and diagnose the problem, to no avail. As to the issue of you not having a pen and paper in your room, this is something that I have addressed with the Housekeeping staff.

I would love to invite you back for another stay at our hotel to show you that we do put our guest's needs first!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is just average, meaning it's overpriced for what you get. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast was pretty good. However, the air conditioner sounded like an airplane was flying overhead, the toilet flushing sounded like a bomb exploding, and the bathroom fan sounded like an air force jet flying overhead (and didn't even remove the fog from the mirror!). The bathtub faucet dripped (I see another reviewer complained about this--still not fixed). And lastly, in this day and age of household cleaning products, there is NO reason to see mold in the bathtub and on the ceiling! Yuck! All the hotels in the area are overpriced, so if you don't want to spend over $100, this will suffice. Just bring the earplugs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear baseballmom2012,

It is obvious that we fell short of our duties regarding the proper maintenance and cleanliness of your room. For this please accept my heartfelt apologies. Rest assured that the leaking tub. the a/c and the toilet issues have been addressed and the loud exhaust fan is in the process of being replaced.

The comfort of our guests has always been, and will remain, our number one priority. I hope you will give us a chance to serve your lodging needs in the future!