Best Western San Marcos
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$108
Country Inn
Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$76
$153
$139
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Candlewood Suites(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$104
CandlewoodSuites
$64
$128
$107
$124
Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$109
$109
Travelocity
Holiday Inn San Marcos(San Marcos)(Great Value!)
$103
All reviewsfront deskroom was cleanstaff was friendlytexas shaped wafflestexas state universityair conditioningparking lot isbagelsquick tripwould definitely stay here againconvenient locationeasy accessjohnnyfuegohighwayelevatorgraduation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I used some of my rewards points for 2 rooms at this property and as soon as I checked in I realized it was a mistake. The desk clerk was outside smoking for one. When I asked if it was better to enter through the back entrance because it was closer she said not really. I explained my fiancé was on oxygen and could not walk very far or stand for long periods and she said that it could take up to 15 or 20 tries to get in the door because the mechanism is tricky. I then remembered this from a previous stay 2 years ago. She gave me a room closer to the lobby. There was not guest directory in the room and I went to the front desk to ask about that and stood there calling out for someone a few times when gentleman told me they were outside smoking again. She didn't even apologize and I was told to look in the nightstand. I have stayed in enough places to know where to look. She said they would bring one to the room. We left to visit friends and returned late. The next morning I had to call the front desk to find out the breakfast hours because we never got a directory nor did my sister who was staying in another room.. I did find 2 outdated phone books in the drawer. One date 2011 yellow pages and another for the 2011-2012 period. I also found a Travelhost magazine for Austin TX dated Nov-Jan. There wasn't even a pen or pencil in the room to write anything down (for a reason I presume).

Room Tip: Don't; take a room by the rear entrance.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Mike P, Owner at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear marksw12,

I am so very sorry that the front desk clerk displayed such an uncaring attitude. I have spoken with the person in question and she has been reprimanded. As to the issue of the Directory, each of our rooms should have one which would give a wealth of information regarding our property as well as the San Marcos area. Extra copies of the directories were not accessible to the front desk at that time.

The side entrance has been an issue for quite some time. We have repeatedly replaced the card reader and have even had a technician on-site to try and diagnose the problem, to no avail. As to the issue of you not having a pen and paper in your room, this is something that I have addressed with the Housekeeping staff.

I would love to invite you back for another stay at our hotel to show you that we do put our guest's needs first!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is just average, meaning it's overpriced for what you get. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast was pretty good. However, the air conditioner sounded like an airplane was flying overhead, the toilet flushing sounded like a bomb exploding, and the bathroom fan sounded like an air force jet flying overhead (and didn't even remove the fog from the mirror!). The bathtub faucet dripped (I see another reviewer complained about this--still not fixed). And lastly, in this day and age of household cleaning products, there is NO reason to see mold in the bathtub and on the ceiling! Yuck! All the hotels in the area are overpriced, so if you don't want to spend over $100, this will suffice. Just bring the earplugs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear baseballmom2012,

It is obvious that we fell short of our duties regarding the proper maintenance and cleanliness of your room. For this please accept my heartfelt apologies. Rest assured that the leaking tub. the a/c and the toilet issues have been addressed and the loud exhaust fan is in the process of being replaced.

The comfort of our guests has always been, and will remain, our number one priority. I hope you will give us a chance to serve your lodging needs in the future!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went to the area for a wedding. The San Marcos hotels had more availability for rooms w/ 2 beds and cheaper than New Braunfels. We arrived and the lady at the desk was kind, gave us water and chips for free, gave us towels to use the pool. The room looked okay but had a smokey smell (was supposed to be non-smoking). The tv remote was missing a battery and couldn't be used. No big deal, I planned to call the front desk but the phone wasn't working! My husband went to the front and they replaced the battery and gave us a new phone cord/jack. It was all fine. The tub faucet dripped all night, even though we tried to stop it. Their were cracks in the walls and on the counter (it had been repaired). Breakfast was average, eggs, pastries, coffee, etc. Not a bad place at all but the price should have been around $70, not $105. The people above us stomped all early morning long so we couldn't sleep but that certainly isn't the hotels fault. It was clean enough, just not as nice as other places for the price.

Dear QTCat,

I am sorry to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. It was, however, good to know that your remote and phone issues were handled quickly and effeiciently. The drip in the tub has been repaired and you will be pleased to know that in the very near future we will be replacing all of our dated vanity tops with new marble. We are excited to bring to our guests a fresh, new look!

I hope you return to see us soon so that we may be given the opportunity to exceed your expectations!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed only 1 night, for a wedding in Kyle , Very close location. Good breakfast, People that used the pool looked like they were happy, No Noise, Room was located on Ground level because I wanted a room closest to outside so I could go smoke, Glad not have to come down 35 floors in a elevator just to smoke. Parking looked plentiful, Grounds, public areas, well kept up Great for shoppers,
Thank you for another Great Best Western Stay.

Dear ladyjnola67,

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! It is always our goal to give our guests the very best in satisfaction and value!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here when our daughter attended orientation at TX State. This was our second stay at this hotel. The pool, lobby, room and baths were very clean. The pool was just completely renovated with new furniture and a lift. The beds are really comfortable with pillow tops and ultra plush mattress covers as well as pillows with assorted firmness. Rooms include fridge, microwave, hair dryers and coffee pots. Ditto to Craig's comments on the free breakfast! Our room faced the back so we did not hear any noise in the night. Great service and friendly staff!

1  Thank Rhonda B
Leigh44427, Front Office Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Hello TexasRbryant!

We are extremely pleased taht you enjoyed your stay! We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is only through our guest's feedback that we can continue to improve our service and product.

We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Leigh Anne Montgomery