“What IS that SMELL?!”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Ponca City, Oklahoma
“What IS that SMELL?!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Although the staff was friendly and tried to be accommodating we are sorry to say we cannot recommend this motel to anyone. After reading reviews prior to making our reservation we were prepared for the citrus smell others had mentioned. Yes, it's still there and permeates the entire motel. But that smell can't compare at all to the smell we encountered in room 108. The musty/moldy smell was so strong we were afraid to breath. We thought that turning the AC down low and flipping on the bathroom fan while we went to lunch might help but when we returned the smell was worse. Upon inspecting the AC unit we saw what appeared to be black mold buildup in the unit itself, which was blowing straight into our room. We requested a new room and had to take the only room available...a smoking room...which, surprisingly enough, smelled much better. They also seem to have a cricket problem. My father staying in another room woke to find two crickets in his bathroom sink. There were several in the south stairwell and one was seen under our breakfast table. Overall our stay was not a good experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L W
Manibhai P, General Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this review, June 14, 2017
We thank you for submitting your review. We value all responses as we use them to help us provide superior service for you and future guests. We do hope we will be seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were in San Marcos for our daughter's graduation and choose this property due to good location and price. We got in late, about 10:00 PM and were exhausted from a long day at work and a long drive. We noticed a strong citrus smell in the hall on the way to the room but when we opened the door of our room, the smell nearly knocked us down. We quickly turned the air conditioner on hi and my husband ran to the vehicle to get a fan we keep in the trunk. Our eyes were burning, throat was burning.... It was uncomfortable to say the least.

It was so late that we just went to bed and tried to overlook it. My husband and I both sleep with a CPAP and I also put a tshirt over my head to try to block it out.

We were in a hurry the next morning to get to a family party before graduation so did not talk to front desk about problem but I did fill out the online survey stating the dissatisfaction of the stay.

Mr. Patel wrote to us "why didn't you tell us" but what could they do? Put us in another stinky room? It was all up and down the hall so I seriously doubt another room would have helped. He also stated "we have used the chemical for about 5 years and never had any problem". Sounds like from the last review, I am not the only one.

The story continues after we got home and were getting ready for bed. We have to set our breathing machines up after a trip. I climbed into bed, put my mask on and turned the air flow on. I quickly jerked the mask off my face. The SMELL OF BEST WESTERN was blowing in my nose. The horrid smell had gotten into my machine and permenated everything. I called my husband and the cleaning began. We had to change the filter, clean the machine, change the hose and change the mask. Then, the same procedure had to be done to his machine.

This cost us MONEY. I need to get all the prices and figure out how much to let you know what we had to pay to clean up the odor.

I still have a sore throat over this. Please be aware if you or your family has asthma, COPD, migraines, allergies.... Don't go to the place.

Please Best Western, don't bother to put up one of those form letters responses.

Room Tip: Go to Holiday Inn Express.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank txfrmgrl
Leigh44427, Front Office Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
I can only reiterate what I said in my response to your survey submission; I sincerely wish you had informed us of the problem. It is most certainly not our intention to inconvenience our guests at ANY TIIME during their stay, much less their entire stay! There were several choices available to alleviate your discomfort during your stay ie: we could have used the ozone machine in your room and all odors would have been eliminated, we could have moved you to another room, or failing that, we could found you accommodations more to your liking.

Our records indicate that you checked into the hotel at 5:36 pm. I am not aware if you left the hotel for a few hours and returned at 10, but if this be the case, we could have put the machine in your room and upon your return all smells would have been removed. The citrtus smell you refer to was Hawaiin Febreeze. Our Housekeepers spray the rooms before they leave them.

My other concern is that you chose to stay in a room that so obviosly compromised your health. I can only say that you should have let us know. We care about the well-being of each of our guests and their comfort is our primary objective. I truly wish you would give us another chance. Simply let us know at the time of your reservation that you experienced these problems and will make sure that your room is prepared in advance of your stay.

You may contact me directly at 512-754-7557.

Leigh Anne Montgomery
Midland, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have used the Best Western chain forever and have always had good reviews of it. This one on I-35 is terrible. From the smel in the room (which we never figured out), to the VERY tight breakfast area, very small amount of breakfast choices, and overall cleanliness of the hotel. I knew before hand it would have some road noise due to location, so I won't count it against them. The parking is hard to get into and out of, as well as the pool being gross.
Wish I could rate them higher, sorry wouldn't use them again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank HeatherA2
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I am in the aviation business. This hotel is my home away from home and has been for quite some time. Mr. Patel and his entire staff are very accomodating and Sean at the front desk is amazing. The maids are wonderful. It might not be the 5 star hotel you may be accustomed to, but I would choose this place, because of the wonderful service and staff, over any 5 star hotel - anyday - anywhere! Tricia A. - Dallas, Texas

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tricia A
Manibhai P, Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this review, June 14, 2017
Fredericksburg, Texas
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We arrived very late at night and were so welcomed by the man at the desk and the inviting room. The bed was very comfy and the room was clean. Breakfast was typical fare with make your own waffles bagels, donuts and cereal.
Would stay again- great location!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Schertz, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2011

my friends and I stayed here for a birthday retreat.. We found ourselves spending more time here then anywhere else. we felt at home. Mr. Patel welcomed us and even kept our rooms close together. Though there was no elevator to the 2nd floor we just spent our time downstairs. Housekeeping the next morning were fast and friendly breakfast was small and there were alot of people.we enjoyed it. This hotel is close to everything.. We were going to get into the pool but it started to rain... so can't complain or compliment on it but it is there.

Room Tip: no elevator so first floor is the best.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank TigerlillyBlossom
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stay in hotels 4 or 5 days a week. The staff at this Best Western is awesome. Rooms and bathrooms very clean. They seem to go out of their way to mke our home away from home more enjoyable. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DAC61
Sean44427, Front Office Manager at Best Western San Marcos, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay at our property!

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 512 754 7557.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand!

Sean Sears