“Rarely do you find world class athletes who can teach beginners the best techniques and make it so much fun”

Olympic Outdoor Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Tours in San Marcos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Olympic Outdoor Center leads a variety of daily recreational water activities geared toward providing irresistible fun for everyone. Enjoy a day -- or just an afternoon -- of riverside BBQ, Kayaking, Fishing, Stand Up Paddling (SUP), Canoeing, Surfing, and more in the beautiful, clear waters of San Marcos Springs. We are committed to providing you with the best programs available by immersing ourselves in the activities that we offer. No matter your age or abilities, you will enjoy personalized attention from our skilled instructors. Come see why paddling is the best way to get outside in Texas with more river trails, beautiful scenery, and good company than anything else in the state! Since the City of San Marcos banned BBQ's, and shade structures by the river we have openned up 10 of these cabanas on the water to keep this American Tradition alive here on the coolest, clearest river in Texas. Reserve yours today at www.KayakInstruction.org
Reviewed August 6, 2010

White water kayaking in San Marcos River Between San Antonio and Austin in spring fed river makes this a good place to learn white water kayaking any time of year. The water is around 75 degrees year round so it feels cool in the summer and warm in the winter--strange feeling to put your hands in the water to warm them up on a cold winter day--also the river flows year round with the perfect size rapids to learn and have fun on.

My kids and I took our first lesson from Ben and Michelle Kvanli about 3 years ago and have been hooked ever since--every chance I get I go kayaking with them either in Texas on one of the trips they have to the classic rivers around the US, Canada, Mexico, Guatemals...I think the thing I like the most about kayaking is you can have so much excitement, fun and do stuff you never thought you could do even as a beginner.
The other thing that keeps me going back is the people--the Veterans that they work with who were wounded in Iraq(the only way you can tell they only have one leg when they are in a kayak is you see there other leg strapped to the back of their buddy's boat), the Jr. Olympians they teach and the other Olympic hopefuls they train with.
If you only have a day you can have a lot of fun, but to learn to eskimo roll and really get a kick it is better to take the weekend course. Then if you like it, which is pretty certain, the trips are real economical and about the only thing you need to do is bring your bathing suit and a sense of adventure.

4  Thank BarryGay

Reviewed July 29, 2010

I went down there for their "Classic Weekend", $260 for two days on the river plus they throw in 3 hours of roll instruction for free on Friday night. I had Ben as an instructor all weekend and he was spectacular. I can't say enough good things about the two of them and the shop they run. We lucked out and got amazing rain for days prior and awesome river conditions. If you do one thing in Texas, go take a whitewater class from them!! Plus then you can brag that you learned to kayak with Olympians!

2  Thank bsteers
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I love spending time at the Power Olympic Outdoor Center! Where else can you spend time with, and learn from, world-class athletes? Ben and Michelle's professionalism and hospitality combine to make the Outdoor Center a family friendly environment that offers top-notch recreation on a beautiful spring-fed river. From my 63-yr old mother-n-law to my 4 yr old son, there is fun for all to be had.
In addition to local fun, I have participated on 3 adventure trips with the P.O.O.C. where I've had the opportunity to paddle some of the most beautiful rivers around.
So if you like the water, and you like to surround yourself with friendly, fun-loving people, head down to San Marcos ASAP!
DW

1  Thank d-dub70
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I have been kayaking off and on for about 5 years while learning from Ben and Michelle.

The San Marcos river is the perfect place to learn, and the Olympic Outdoor Center has excellent instructors.

1  Thank AdventureDano
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Ben and Michelle are amazing. I learned to kayak at their school and have since been on several trips with them. You'll love it.

The instruction is literally the best in the world and you'll experience a whole new type of adventure travel.

5 Stars!!!