“A very nice stay”

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“A very nice stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We decided to try this hotel instead of our usual location next door at the Hampton Inn. I'd have to say that I like the Comfort Suites better. The bed was better and both the living area and bathroom were larger. I don't like the five small pillows, but since we drive, our pillows come with us from home. The staff was very friendly and the property was very clean.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 14, 2009

On a miserably rainy Sunday afternoon, I checked in the hotel, anticipating a hot shower. Water boiler is set too low so that you can only get warm showers, not hot ones. Also, no closet to hang clothes, no iron/ironing board in room. Couldn't find the exercise room -- 3rd floor far back corner. no sign anywhere. No disinfectant spray in the fitness room--germs are free.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Southeast Texas
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We stayed at the Comfort Suites during our evacuation for Hurricane Ike. I booked 3 rooms and we were given 3 at the end of the hall together; which was nice. The hotel was booked solid with evacuees. The front desk check-in was quick and polite. The breakfast was good - eggs/cheese, ham omelets, breakfast meat, danishes, bagels, waffels, cereal, juice, milk and coffee.
They were constantly keeping the area clean and restocking items.
Rooms were large with two full beds, pullout couch, desk and chair, fridge and microwave. The bathroom was good size and clean.
I would deinitely stay here again.

• Liked — The large, clean rooms
  • Disliked — The small pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank legalcow88
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2008

SERVICE: Check in was easy and quick. It took about 5 minutes. Checkout was even quicker.

LOCATION/GROUNDS: It is off I-35 a little north of the Outlet Mall. There is a Red Lobster, Chili’s and Luby’s within walking distance. There is plenty of parking in front or on the sides of the building. It is easy to find and easy to get in/out of. I was warned not to park in the Chili’s parking lot since they will tow hotel guests. The hotel is very new and very pretty for a hotel. The hallways are clean and the lobby is well-kept. The pool is very small but clean. It is at the front of the building so it can be noisy.

ROOM: We liked the room the most. It has a half divider which divides the couch and the bed from each other. The TV sits on a dresser drawer and has a lazy Suzan it lays on so it can be rotated toward the couch or the bed. The TV looked to be a 37” and it had about 40 channels and HBO as well. The bed is very soft and comfortable. I wish they included a few firmer pillows, but I just doubled up on them to make them firm enough for me. They include about 4-6 pillows on the bed. There is an alarm that took a little figuring out but it has an MP-3 hookup if you need it. The desk has a high speed internet connection to it. It is easy to use and a nice perk which is free. There was plenty of lighting in the room. The room comes with a fridge and microwave so you can place doggie bags or drinks in it. The room seemed to be a good size for me and my wife. Our room faced the freeway but there was less road noise than I expected. The only small problem was that the shower rod was placed on the wall at an angle causing the shower curtain to only cover 1/2 of the shower and we got water in the bathroom. If the management is looking at this review, then please fix room 206’s shower rod. The shower head looked new and had a variety of settings. Overall, the bathroom is roomy and nice. The bathroom has tile flooring and the shower walls are granite/ silestone. It is a nice touch. They provide you about plenty of towels and they are okay. The AC can definitely cool down the room just fine since we left it off for several hours in the heat of the day and we were able to cool down the room in 20 minutes time.

BREAKFAST: This was a nice surprise. They had waffles, eggs with cheese and ham. They kept refilling it often and also had juices and coffees. Keep in mind that it closes at 9am on the weekdays, so no late breakfasts. On the weekends it stays open till 10am.

Overall this is a great hotel. I am happy to say our experience was great and I would recommend this to other travelers.

• Liked — The room was clean and well appointed
  • Disliked — Small pool
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Dustinmc24
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Hotel is relatively new (2006) and looks good from the outside, but inside it is just a standard comfort suites. Room was not very clean, especially the pull-out sofabed (mattress pad was stained and dirty - gross). Pool was out in front of the hotel next to the highway, so was not a very pleasant place to be. On the other hand, the breakfast was good and the staff was very nice, but this could not overcome the quality of the rooms. Also note that half the rooms face the highway - we had a room on the side away from the highway and it was quiet, but I suspect the highway side rooms would be very noisy.

• Liked — Friendly staff, good breakfast, newer property
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of the pull-out sofabed, noise from the highway at the pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2008

After reading an earlier very negative review I was really conflicted. It seemed like such a nice place and was new, but how could it get such a negative reaction? One of the problems with TripAdvisor and other such sites are when there are so few reviews of a place that you can't establish a "trend" in quality.

That said, I went ahead and booked a room for me and my daughter as we were touring Texas.

Upon check-in I was greeted by a very pleasant young woman and was handled promptly. Our room was spacious and clean, with high quality linens on the king size bed. Pillows could have been a little softer, but other than that, fine. The climate control system was great and we had plenty of AC. After being there an hour we received a call from the front desk asking if our room was alright and if we needed anything. Nice touch. I set up my laptop and the in-room WiFi was lickety-split. They also have a good breakfast buffet with eggs, ham, cereal, fruit etc.

There were a few concerns, though, during our short stay:

1. They use those energy saving neon bulbs in the lamp fixtures which give off a bluish tint. I hate that.

2. The hotel is 3 floors. The second floor ice/vending room, which we were near, also has a washer/dryer. Someone was doing some clothes and it sounded like rocks were in the dryer. We went and closed the door. It was only an issue because we were two doors from that room.

3. My daughter was going to sleep on the fold out sofa but there were no linens. We had to check those out at the front desk.

A couple of days after our stay we got one of those corporate surveys asking about our stay. I basically said everything was fine but I did mention the bulbs, washer/dryer noise, and having to schlep to the front desk for sofa-bed linens.

Two days ago, I received a nice letter from the manager thanking me for the comments and saying they are being addressed. They will be changing out bulbs going forward to a "warmer" tone. He has a replacement order in for a presumably quieter washer/dryer. He said that they used to keep linens in the room closets but had to stop after many were taken by guests. That, to me, is a reasonable answer. It's not that big of a deal to get them at the front desk and they are readily available. (But perhaps upon check-in they could ask you if you will be using the sofa-bed, and then give you linens then or have them delivered.)

I give the hotel 4.5 stars overall (in its category), and a definite 5 stars for "effort". I've never gotten a letter after a corporate survey stating that what I suggested was worthy of consideration much less implemented. You can't help but be impressed by that kind of personal touch. They are trying hard to be the kind of lodging that travelers expect.

Last note - Upon check-out by another efficient and pleasant woman, I asked if they had any outlet coupons. She immediately filled out coupons that could be redeemed for an entire book of coupons at both the Prime and Tanger outlets. It was more than I had asked.

I'd stay here again.

(To the hotel - keep up this kind of attention to detail and customer service and you will deserve every bit of success you will achieve. Keep up the good work.)

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Prime_of_Life
CSSM_Manager, General Manager at Comfort Suites Near Texas State University, responded to this review, July 2, 2008
We greatly appreciate you taking time to write such a nice review about our hotel, and thank you very much for the suggestion about the extra linen requirements check during check-in. Extreamly impressed by your suggestion. Now I am thinking, why we never thought of it? I see a one more perfect training opportunity for our staff to make guest experience memorable. We will start implementing your suggestion about asking guest during check-in if they need extra linen for pull out couch.

Again, thank you very much and hope to be in service of you in near future.

Jay Rakholia
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2007

We had a horrible experience at this property. I had reserved a room for myself, my wife, and my 16 month old daughter. Upon entry into the room (room 320) we immediately noticed obvious semen stains on the couch. Shortly thereafter, we noticed more obvious semen stains on the wall in the ‘bedroom’ portion of the room. Front desk staff was summoned to the room and, like us, were in shock as to the disgusting nature of the problem. They offered to try to clean the stains / cover them up but were unable to offer another room due to full occupancy. There was no way I was going to allow my 16 month old to walk around in such a room (mind now being focused on what was not visible) and I was not interested in driving around San Marcos seeking alternative accommodations. I elected to receive a refund for my room and proceeded to drive 3.5 hours back home to Fort Worth, TX.

Before I go any further, I would like to complement the two young front desk ladies with whom I dealt with. They were very nice and genuinely concerned for our plight. That said, the hotel, let me and my family down - - in the worst possible way - - when we were tired at the end of a long day.

Of course, we wrote the company to express our displeasure with our experience. Unfortunately, they only saw fit to send us a generic form letter that didn't even address our specific complaint. There was no compelling offer to have us re-try their hotel chain and they may rest assured that I will NEVER stay at another Choice (the parent company) hotel ever again.

I was also disappointed to see that the ‘suites’ at this Comfort Suites were not suites at all - - but rather conventional hotel rooms with a small, hip level divider between the ‘bedroom’ and the ‘living room.’ We had sought out Comfort Suites because of our past stays at other locations had convinced us that there was value in having a wall / door between the living space and the bedroom as that was especially helpful with a baby that goes to bed early each night. This was interpreted by us as ‘bait and switch’ and as a real degradation of service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Multiple semen stains in my room that caused me to leave the property
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank JeepNfun
jablomy, General Manager at Comfort Suites Near Texas State University, responded to this review, February 22, 2008
I am concerned about the inconvenience you experienced at out hotel during your stay. I personally went to that room in the morning and try to look for stain that you mentioned. Front desk staff did not clean while you were in the room because of having baby inside the room. We did not feel safe for the baby to use any cleaning chemicals in rooms. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. I understand your frustruation, but since then, we have implemented many improvements in our cleaning systems. We have changed the way house keeping is done through out the hotel. Please give us another chance to serve your future lodging needs.