After reading an earlier very negative review I was really conflicted. It seemed like such a nice place and was new, but how could it get such a negative reaction? One of the problems with TripAdvisor and other such sites are when there are so few reviews of a place that you can't establish a "trend" in quality.
That said, I went ahead and booked a room for me and my daughter as we were touring Texas.
Upon check-in I was greeted by a very pleasant young woman and was handled promptly. Our room was spacious and clean, with high quality linens on the king size bed. Pillows could have been a little softer, but other than that, fine. The climate control system was great and we had plenty of AC. After being there an hour we received a call from the front desk asking if our room was alright and if we needed anything. Nice touch. I set up my laptop and the in-room WiFi was lickety-split. They also have a good breakfast buffet with eggs, ham, cereal, fruit etc.
There were a few concerns, though, during our short stay:
1. They use those energy saving neon bulbs in the lamp fixtures which give off a bluish tint. I hate that.
2. The hotel is 3 floors. The second floor ice/vending room, which we were near, also has a washer/dryer. Someone was doing some clothes and it sounded like rocks were in the dryer. We went and closed the door. It was only an issue because we were two doors from that room.
3. My daughter was going to sleep on the fold out sofa but there were no linens. We had to check those out at the front desk.
A couple of days after our stay we got one of those corporate surveys asking about our stay. I basically said everything was fine but I did mention the bulbs, washer/dryer noise, and having to schlep to the front desk for sofa-bed linens.
Two days ago, I received a nice letter from the manager thanking me for the comments and saying they are being addressed. They will be changing out bulbs going forward to a "warmer" tone. He has a replacement order in for a presumably quieter washer/dryer. He said that they used to keep linens in the room closets but had to stop after many were taken by guests. That, to me, is a reasonable answer. It's not that big of a deal to get them at the front desk and they are readily available. (But perhaps upon check-in they could ask you if you will be using the sofa-bed, and then give you linens then or have them delivered.)
I give the hotel 4.5 stars overall (in its category), and a definite 5 stars for "effort". I've never gotten a letter after a corporate survey stating that what I suggested was worthy of consideration much less implemented. You can't help but be impressed by that kind of personal touch. They are trying hard to be the kind of lodging that travelers expect.
Last note - Upon check-out by another efficient and pleasant woman, I asked if they had any outlet coupons. She immediately filled out coupons that could be redeemed for an entire book of coupons at both the Prime and Tanger outlets. It was more than I had asked.
I'd stay here again.
(To the hotel - keep up this kind of attention to detail and customer service and you will deserve every bit of success you will achieve. Keep up the good work.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Suites in San Marcos is easily accessible to all area attractions including Texas State University, Outlet shopping, Wonderworld and within a short drive of Schitterbahn & Austin as well. The hotel offers interior corridors, elevator, pool, business center, exercise room, and a wonderful free hot breakfast with rotating menu. We hope to be of service to you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Comfort Suites Near Texas State University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Suites San Marcos Hotel San Marcos
- San Marcos Comfort Suites