“Turn the lights back on, please.”

Comfort Suites Near Texas State University
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We chose the Comfort Suites for a weekend get away with our granddaughter because they mentioned in room refrigerator and microwave. The room was comfortable and clean, but Paw-Paw had to keep adjusting the air conditioner during the night. The refrigerator was only cool, even after adjusting the temperature. What I didn’t like the most was the lighting the bathroom. Seems the last few hotels we’ve stayed in have dimed the lights in the bathroom. Must be an attempt to save energy, but what it does is make it hard to gave a bath or put your face on. If you think about it, it also makes it harder to see any filth. It’s one thing to skip changing the linen to save energy; it’s another to cut out the lights.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Near Texas State University

Reviewed April 4, 2012

We got stuck without reservations, so were looking for anything, and ended up staying here, so I could at least earn some Choice points. Their rack rate is more than we usually pay for just a one night stay, so I was thinking it would be nicer than the places we would stay, but i was wrong. It wasn't any nicer than most of the lower priced hotels, though I can't say we had a bad experience. The breakfast included waffles, their version of an omelet, and sausage, and the facility was clean enough., and the room wasn't stinky. At least the stay went toward a free night, if I stay in a Choice hotel one more time before the middle of May. Bottom line, there are other hotels just as nice for a lot less if you book in advance. The front desk personnel were very friendly, and it has a very small outdoor pool.

Room Tip: We stayed very near the front desk, which was convenient, but I could hear the phone ring all night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The motel was nice EXCEPT for the bedbugs. I was going to stay for two nights but I woke up the first morning with itching welts on my neck and shoulder (3 total). After I showered and had a better look at the welts, I looked closely at the sheets and the pillow and, sure enough, there were two tiny round red spots. One was on the pillow and one on the bed sheet. Bedbugs. The fortunate thing was that I had set my suitcase on the coffe table in the living area since I was alone.

I told the manager about it and I got a pleasant letter from them saying they examined the room and found no bedbugs. All I have to say in reply is "spend the night in that bed".

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank P P
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Nice hotel, but no way worth the $150 a night price. Service was good and the breakfast was your typical included one... Just felt it was not worth the price compared to Embassy Suites just down the road.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We were in town overnight for a family gathering with our child. The fold out sofa was uncomfortable for our child, but everything else was good. The bed was very comfy and the room was very clean. Will stay here again for quick trips in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was our 2nd visit to San Marcos but with a student at Texas State we will have ample opportunities to try the various properties in San Marcos. This hotel is located as part of a "cluster" that includes the Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn located near the Chili's just off of I-35. The front parking lot is small and confusing (recommend parking in the rear) and you walk past the outdoor pool as you enter the lobby. Yes you have to walk outside the hotel to reach the pool. There are towels poolside and in spite of the 100 plus degrees the water was refreshingly cool. The registration counter in the lobby overlooks the larger breakfast area. While there are not many tables in the immediate area, they do open the meeting room down the hall for the overflow during the complimentary breakfast hours. With 2 waffle makers in addition to the hot breakfast items the wait is not long. They smartly have several stations instead of one long counter which makes it easier to get your food items. From yogurt and cereal to pastries and muffins there are options to please all. The small elevator off the lobby transports at a leisurely pace to the upper floors. While the noise from the highway seems muted at night it is louder during the day so you might want to request a room away from the street. While the room was clean enough and had some unusual touches I was disappointed with some of the basics. Our closet door looked more like it was the connecting door to the adjacent room and the fact that it was difficult to open only added to that illusion. Refrigerator and microwave were the usual offerings and always handy to have. No new plasma flat screen TV but all the channels were available. If pay per view or other entertainment options were offered we could not find them. Internet access was a bit tricky so I was not able to use my laptop. All in all it was acceptable although it won't be my first choice for future stays. It definitely beats the La Quinta and is on par with the Best Western. If you keep in mind that the hotels are used by visiting parents, families tubing the river and shoppers for the outlet centers you can understand the wear and tear factor. It is convenient to the campus and offers easy freeway access. The rate at the hotel was reasonable in comparison to others in the area and having the extra sitting area is always an added benefit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LivLuvLax
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were very clean, and the staff was very pleasant. I was very impressed with their security. Our key cards quick working because my husband put them next to his credit cards, and the staff was very nice about asking for my ID - just for our safety! The location of this hotel was great. We were very close to the outlet malls and had plenty of great restaurants around us!! A+!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family