“TEXAS has NO IDEA what SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN IS.”

Gill's Fried Chicken
Ranked #48 of 273 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The only thing good I can say about the food at this place is that the chicken is real chicken. Not processed. HORRIBLEY bland. EVERYTHING I got was BLAND. I was born and raised in MS and I am sorry...but if you want good fried chicken... Drive to MS, AL, LA (TRUE southern states). I got their Mac and Cheese and Cheese Naturally has flavor...whatever they used... NO FLAVOR. NO FLAVOR on the breading of the chicken. NO FLAVOR on the FRENCH FRIES. I do not usually write my opinion about places... but OH MY GOODNESS this was HORRIBLE. COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED. APPARANTLY a LOCAL FAVORITE... but these people must not have taste buds.

1  Thank Austyne R
There are newer reviews for Gill's Fried Chicken

Reviewed August 31, 2011

Love to get the fried catfish (cooked up fresh) and big glass of iced tea! Six nice pieces in the "small" order, with hush puppies, tartar sauce and lemon wedges. Not so impressed with the fried chicken, but I might try the tenders sometime. The fried livers and gizzards (with cream gravy) are also really good! Good sides too. Like the slaw and fried okra. Mac & cheese is awesome! Still need to try the chicken & dumplings.

Reviewed August 13, 2009

The staff was extremely gracious, the service was fast and courteous. Unfortunately, the coating of grease in my mouth after I had a bite or 2 of the chicken was reminiscent of Long John Silver's greasy fish. I couldn't finish it. Perhaps the grade of oil and the cooking method could be improved. I love to support local businesses and avoid the chains but this one won't work for me.

Reviewed June 12, 2009

Gill's Fried Chicken on Hunter Rd.

WOW. Folks are friendly food is GREAT!!

Prices reasonable.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lockhart, Texas
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Great Fried Chicken! I love the buiscuts too!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook