“Hole In One”

Palmer's Restaurant Bar
Ranked #7 of 283 Restaurants in San Marcos
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I must have happened on Palmer's during an "on" time and I will start out by saying that the experience was at least as good if not better than anticipated. From the cool gated garden entrance, next to the fountain with tree shaded tables interspersed among the lush greenery, I felt like I might have stumbled into the old Brennan's as I remembered it from New Orleans. Stepping into the wonderful old stone house where the rooms have large picture glass windows that overlook the patio, you immediately felt a sense of calm from the dark wood contrasted with the natural lighting from the windows.

We waited in the cozy bar area for a table inside since the summer blast furnace was still cranking out the 100 degree days. Had a mai tai as suggested by a friend. - very good with just the right amount of fruit flavor versus alcohol. Would definitely get one again - and the price was less than $5.

The menu is not extensive, but there is a good selection of comfort foods and ecclectic specialties. The pecan chicken with a dark rich gravy was a solid choice as was the chicken fried steak with cream gravy. The batter of the steak was refreshingly different with a tast of parmesan cheese. NIce touch. Both entrees came with well prepared mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables.

Wait service was acceptable and attentive though the waitress was rather nonchalant as she went about greeting and order taking with a business as usual demeanor.

My one regret is that we do not have more places like it in San Antonio. Los Patios is about as close as it gets, but that place is rather a large conglomerate of patios and buildings.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Every time we come to San Marcos, we enjoy Palmers. Most recently we enjoyed the Thanksgiving buffet. What a treat. A bit pricey but the food was outstanding. Especially good was the braised kale, the ham, and desserts. Their courtyard is the one of the best romantic spots in the area. The staff are always great and we've never been dissapointed.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We got there right at 11 and had no wait. Setting is wonderful, great old house, lovely courtyard, nice live classical guitar for Sunday Brunch. Our waitress was attentive, our food was good, the prices we great! The table had the fondue and bruchetta which was delicious. I had a greek salad with a very tasty vinagrette and the shrimp and grits. The shrimp was served in a creole type preparation with grits in the center. I enjoyed my entree as did my daughter with her turkey pesto sandwich, two at our table got eggs benedict and complained about the temperature of the plate. I had a very enjoyable meal and will definitely be back.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Man, this COULD be an awesome restaurant. Lovely patio seating and dim, comfortable bar with really good food when it FINALLY comes.

We were here 3 weeks ago for dinner, sat in the bar and waited for service and for food. Clear it was not the server's fault. The bar was behind and the server was sweet and apologetic when the kitchen was behind, too. Oyster special was late and cold so they comped that automatically, without us asking.

Today, Saturday about 1:30, we came for lunch. No room at the bar, wait for restaurant seating so we sat outside which was lovely, perfect weather, light music, festive crowd. It is 3:22 and we are still here. Fortunately, we are not in a hurry, and weren't starving. Annoying to see others who came in after us to get their drinks and food first, but I had lowered expectations so no big deal.

Our food was so good! Waiter was congenial and efficient. Again, it was clearly not his fault things were behind. 5wo sections of the restaurant weren't open and I'm sure this is due to lack of staff. Three different wait staff served 15 tables outside while I'm sure covering tables inside. Completely inefficient.

We will continue rooting for Palmers, but only with our patient, forewarned, friends.

Management, wakeup!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We went back in early September, (been coming here for 25 years, and in the past was ALWAYS wonderful!,)....
Their A/C was out, it was HOT as the dickens, and they stated the a/c would not be repaired for a week or MORE!!!
We had one drink, outside on the patio, and LEFT as quickly as we could!!
It was as if the owner really didn't care anymore...
Very sad for such a landmark place...