“You must try this landmark”
Review of Gil's Broiler

Gil's Broiler
Ranked #22 of 283 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We heard of this place from watching Texas Country Reporter. Our first vist was September2011 and we loved it. The atmosphere is early Texas..very clean.. burgers cooked to order and we tried a half and half basket of fries and onoin rings. Onion rings had a Shiner bock beer batter very yummy! Staffwas vety friendly. Parking in tight and limited to street only. The one thing that is a musttry is there famous Manskey Rolls you won't be disappointed! Thee rolls are cinamin and buttery good. I promise you'll be taking a half dozen back home with your!!!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stopped in to visit this place after going here lots while in college. It hasn't changed too much. We ordered the Manske Roll-They are sooo great. They still make them like they used to when I was a college student SWTSU in the early 80s!
We even took several to go, and brought them home. Reheated them, and served for breakfast-very tasty. Heated up just perfect!
Many people were having burgers, but we just had the Manske Rolls!

1  Thank rancher4
Reviewed October 1, 2012

MMMMMMM chili cheese burgers....Manson rolls and mmmmmmmmm...good back in the 70's and still awesome!!!!!!!!!!'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

The burgers are okay. The place is a dump, but the Manske Rolls are very good. LBJ loved them and I can see why.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Looking for a new place to try, I remembered reading about Gil's Broiler online so I mentioned to my hubby, they serve CHEAP menu fare & their famous Manske Rolls...large cinnamon rolls served warm w/either melted chocolate bar, carmel topping or ala mode... He said "let's go!" This was our very first visit. The atmosphere is really awesome. SUPER friendly staff. I really loved the old, back-alley bar feel & look to the place. The wooden booths were extremely unique looking, really hard to describe, you really hafta see them to know what I mean but they look sort of like an old recycled industrial wood look to them if that makes sense. I wished I'd have brought my phone to take photos so I can share the ambiance. I may do that next time. The burgers were actually fantastic & the wait, although they were somewhat busy, was not long at all. The burgers had a really unique flavor, none like I've had before. Weird thing though, they use shredded cheese as opposed to your typical cheese slice so that was definitely different. Not bad, just not a lot of cheese flavor that I expected w/a cheeseburger but the 1/4 burgers are less than $3...only $2.68! So I can't complain. They have quite a few menu items to choose from & even weekday specials M-F. Now comes the 'but' part of my review title. Their famous Menske Rolls, well I'm sure they'd be fantastic if it weren't for being seriously DROWNED in melted butter. The rolls are sweet enough but, unbeknownst to us, they came drowned & I do mean sopping in melted butter...the butter really was a bit overkill. I think a LITTLE drizzle would've been okay but we did visit to get the famous rolls & were greatly disappointed, especially since we didn't know to ask for plain, no butter. We did get them ala mode which really helped cut the butter but we were disappointed that we just could NOT eat all of ours, not b/c they were large but b/c they just tasted awful w/the butter overkill. Honestly, it was quite nauseating & started to make us sick. The more we ate of them, the sicker we felt so we just quit while we were ahead & decided to try again another time...without the butter! The restrooms were nice but no t.p. & no paper towels although they did have a touch free hand dryer. The parking is at a high premium so we had to park down & around the corner...way down around the corner but it wasn't all that far but just be prepared for a walk b/c you may or may not get lucky up close to the door. Another thing, there on the corner of University & LBJ therd's a shopping strip, do NOT park there if you're not shopping there...you WILL be towed. There's a sign posted in the lot as well as in Gil's front window that "They are watching & you WILL be towed" so fair warning here. It's the same as well in the parking lot area that we parked in front of...business patrons only, you will be towed which is a real shame as the parking is at a premium. All along LBJ it's 1-2 hr parking depending on where you park. It's one-way so you can park across the street if you find a spot. If it's your first visit, the sign is really hard to spot. It really blends in & hangs kinda low. We had to drive around twice before we found it so the negatives is why I only gave it 4 stars. It's better than 3 stars but could be better situated & could give an option w/no butter on the rolls as we didn't know to ask. Other than the negative things I mentioned, all in all, we will give Gil's another try & you should too! Our review might be different than someone else's but I do try to tell it like it is in our point of view. You just might like the overly buttery rolls but we just couldn't handle it so we'll just be sure to ask for rolls w/o butter! But I do highly suggest getting them ala mode...YUMM! They hand scoop the ice cream & guess what...it's a heart shaped scoop! So I got a little heart shaped ice cream on my roll! How awesome is that!