“WHAT A SURPRISE!”
Review of Candlewood Suites

Candlewood Suites
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Wow. I have never stayed in a Candlewood Suites. I could not immediately find my usual go-to hotels, The Marriott and Hampton Inn. I was tired from a 7-day driving trip, and this place looked nice and had a full parking lot, so I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. Friendly staff. Huge room with a full kitchen and utensils, glasses, etc. Gigantic desk area and closet. I could've stayed here for a week. Check it out!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear hygieneskimom,

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to drop a review on your recent stay with us! We are an extended stay hotel, so if you ever do want to stay a week, plan it! It's always nice to hear guests enjoy our facilities. Come back and see us! Safe travels!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a little over 8 months for business and had an exceptional experience, from the General Manager to the front desk staff, they always made my stay comfortable. When I had a problem the staff were more then accommodating. Mike was very helpful in anything I needed that the front desk could not assist in. Sean at the front desk was always very polite and helped in any way he could to make sure you got what you needed.

The hotel inside and out was very clean, if I wasn't happy with something then they would make sure to make it right! From the parking lot to the swimming pool to the exercise room to the laundry room everything was always in working order.

The room itself was very spacious for my stay. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Laryssa W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your extended stay with us. We were delighted to have you and look forward to your return. Our GM Mike is always looking for ways to give our guests an exceptional experience, and Sean is great at making that happen. Safe travels till your return!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

One of the speediest check-ins I have ever had. Literally walked in, showed ID and was handed a room key. Less than 60 seconds. The room was great! large and clean, plenty of towels, very nice. We parked on the back side (East) of the hotel and the night shift guy was there waiting to help and hold the door, nice touch. This hotel is close to a train track so I recommend to a room on the East side, the tracks are West of the hotel. Not sure if that will help but it can't hurt. Although if you need that 5am wake up, maybe a train whistle will do it. If not like a snooze button it will repeat in 30min. Maybe that is just the Saturday schedule.

I would stay here again despite the train “Nice Clean Room”

Room Tip: Request a room on the West Side-Train Tracks are on the East.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank allsteel
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear allsteel,

Thank you for your recent review and stay with us! Looks like Sean got you checked in quick! We work exceptionally hard to provide our guests with a speedy check in with a smile attached. Great to hear Manny was able to help you in the side door as well! Any chance we have to help a guest out, we take it!
We do want to apologize for the train... We've been working on a silence ordinance at this particular crossing for months. We're hoping that'll be completed by Summer 2014. Give us a call next time you're headed to San Marcos and we'll be sure to book you a room on the highway side of the hotel. Thanks again for the great review and we look forward to your return! Safe travels!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days with work. Great way to save money staying in Candlewoods thanks to the kitchens that are in the rooms. Bought groceries and never had to eat out. They have 2 very nice gas grills in the back and you can borrow grill utensils from the front desk. If you enjoy movies, they have a small collection downstairs.
Very clean hotel with a great staff working up front. No breakfast, but I'd rather cook my own than eat powdered eggs and silk gravy in holiday or hampton.

Room Tip: Ask for cupboard snacks and grab some candy or a coke on your way to the room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tyler H
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Tyler H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed are many amenities and notice the little details we work so hard on to make that bit of difference between a good stay and a great stay. We always love hearing how wonderful our staff is as well! We look forward to your next stay! Safe travels and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed here on business for three nights. The hotel staff was very friendly. They recognized my platinum status and gave me credits for the general store. Hotel lobby was very clean. My room was also very clean. The room had a queen bed, desk, kitchen, and bathroom. TV was a little small for the room but had a nice picture on it. They had WIFI and it worked most of the time but would drop off every once in awhile. I did not have any problems with noise while staying there. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mark0076,

Thank you for your fantastic review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our Candlewood Suites and our friendly staff! We look forward to seeing you again soon! Safe travels and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel room was very nice and clean. The front desk told me the hotel was just a year old, so there is very little wear. I had a double queen room which was very spacious. The room has a nice comfortable recliner as well. The bathroom and kitchen were very clean too. The hotel is minutes away from the Outlet stores. Only complaint is the train that ran about every 3-4 hours. I had a room that faced the train tracks. It wasn't so bad, but we could hear the train throughout the night.

Pros: Spacious, clean, big TVs, great workout center

Cons: The train.

For the value, I'd still stay here, but would request a room away from the train.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the highway.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Mar S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. We're very happy to hear you enjoyed our staff and our comfy rooms.
We do want to apologize for the noise from the train. We are currently working with the city to get a silence ordinance for the crossing just behind the hotel. We are hoping that will be completed by Summer 2014.
We look forward to seeing you again soon! Safe travels till then!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Visiting friends for Thanksgiving and stayed 3 nights. Very nice property, a little tricky to get to at first. The room was comfortable and spacious enough even with a walker. The only ice machine was on the first floor. The night clerk said the ice maker in the fridge just needed to be turned on and it would make ice. I did and it didn't. Temperature was difficult to get a comfortable setting. Leslie was very accommodating when I told her the room was a little too far for my fiancé to walk and gave me a room closer to the elevator. Bed was very comfortable. I would recommend getting a room on the back side of the hotel. We were awaken a few times by emergency vehicles screaming down the interstate which is right outside the window. The only reason I took away 1 dot (as opposed to adding one like the commercial) is the fact it took me 4 trips to get my luggage to my car. There were only 2 luggage dollies and 1 was being used by a family that made 4, yes 4, trips with it loaded. Obviously they were there for the Black Friday shopping bargains and took full advantage of it. I did not see the other dolly at all in the 45 minutes it took to get my things from the 4th floor. I told the fellow at the desk of my disappointment at this and he shrugged and said he would bring it up to his boss.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side might keep you from hearing the emergency vehicles going down the interstate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear marksw12,

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear Leslie was able to help you out and that you enjoyed the establishment. We take pride in our Candlewood Suites and happy to hear when our guests have had a great stay!
We'd like to apologize for the outside noise. We are currently working with the city to get the railroad tracks on the back end of the hotel designated a "quiet zone". However, it is unfortunate the highway noise was exceptionally bothersome that evening. It normally isn't bad, I believe the weather change may have had something to do with that.
I will discuss with our GM investing in another luggage cart. Black Friday Shopping can get a little wild around these parts! Haha!
We hope to see you again in the near future. A lower floor room may help with cancelling out some of the road noise. Safe travels, till next time!