“Very nice grills in the back”
Review of Candlewood Suites

Candlewood Suites
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days with work. Great way to save money staying in Candlewoods thanks to the kitchens that are in the rooms. Bought groceries and never had to eat out. They have 2 very nice gas grills in the back and you can borrow grill utensils from the front desk. If you enjoy movies, they have a small collection downstairs.
Very clean hotel with a great staff working up front. No breakfast, but I'd rather cook my own than eat powdered eggs and silk gravy in holiday or hampton.

Room Tip: Ask for cupboard snacks and grab some candy or a coke on your way to the room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tyler H
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Tyler H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed are many amenities and notice the little details we work so hard on to make that bit of difference between a good stay and a great stay. We always love hearing how wonderful our staff is as well! We look forward to your next stay! Safe travels and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed here on business for three nights. The hotel staff was very friendly. They recognized my platinum status and gave me credits for the general store. Hotel lobby was very clean. My room was also very clean. The room had a queen bed, desk, kitchen, and bathroom. TV was a little small for the room but had a nice picture on it. They had WIFI and it worked most of the time but would drop off every once in awhile. I did not have any problems with noise while staying there. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mark0076,

Thank you for your fantastic review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our Candlewood Suites and our friendly staff! We look forward to seeing you again soon! Safe travels and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel room was very nice and clean. The front desk told me the hotel was just a year old, so there is very little wear. I had a double queen room which was very spacious. The room has a nice comfortable recliner as well. The bathroom and kitchen were very clean too. The hotel is minutes away from the Outlet stores. Only complaint is the train that ran about every 3-4 hours. I had a room that faced the train tracks. It wasn't so bad, but we could hear the train throughout the night.

Pros: Spacious, clean, big TVs, great workout center

Cons: The train.

For the value, I'd still stay here, but would request a room away from the train.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the highway.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Mar S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. We're very happy to hear you enjoyed our staff and our comfy rooms.
We do want to apologize for the noise from the train. We are currently working with the city to get a silence ordinance for the crossing just behind the hotel. We are hoping that will be completed by Summer 2014.
We look forward to seeing you again soon! Safe travels till then!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Visiting friends for Thanksgiving and stayed 3 nights. Very nice property, a little tricky to get to at first. The room was comfortable and spacious enough even with a walker. The only ice machine was on the first floor. The night clerk said the ice maker in the fridge just needed to be turned on and it would make ice. I did and it didn't. Temperature was difficult to get a comfortable setting. Leslie was very accommodating when I told her the room was a little too far for my fiancé to walk and gave me a room closer to the elevator. Bed was very comfortable. I would recommend getting a room on the back side of the hotel. We were awaken a few times by emergency vehicles screaming down the interstate which is right outside the window. The only reason I took away 1 dot (as opposed to adding one like the commercial) is the fact it took me 4 trips to get my luggage to my car. There were only 2 luggage dollies and 1 was being used by a family that made 4, yes 4, trips with it loaded. Obviously they were there for the Black Friday shopping bargains and took full advantage of it. I did not see the other dolly at all in the 45 minutes it took to get my things from the 4th floor. I told the fellow at the desk of my disappointment at this and he shrugged and said he would bring it up to his boss.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side might keep you from hearing the emergency vehicles going down the interstate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear marksw12,

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear Leslie was able to help you out and that you enjoyed the establishment. We take pride in our Candlewood Suites and happy to hear when our guests have had a great stay!
We'd like to apologize for the outside noise. We are currently working with the city to get the railroad tracks on the back end of the hotel designated a "quiet zone". However, it is unfortunate the highway noise was exceptionally bothersome that evening. It normally isn't bad, I believe the weather change may have had something to do with that.
I will discuss with our GM investing in another luggage cart. Black Friday Shopping can get a little wild around these parts! Haha!
We hope to see you again in the near future. A lower floor room may help with cancelling out some of the road noise. Safe travels, till next time!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Only stayed one night and thought the staff, room and amenities were very courteous, clean and substantial. This hotel would be at the top of our list the next time we're in town, but for the noise.

NOISE:
West side - Train came through @ 2-3 am with a loud blast that jolted us upright and wide awake. We stayed on the forth floor facing the railroad tracks.
East side - I would think you might be better off facing the interstate; however, another reviewer has stated that the traffic noise on that side will keep you up all night.
Our room - The wind was blowing hard that night and there was an unusual rumbling,banging noise that we thought was coming from the roof. The next morning we determined it was a loose fitting screen covering our window.

Pros: Very clean and bright. Friendly staff. Nice beds, good size bathroom, green A/C system. Nice amenities. Kitchenette, hairdryer, iron & ironing board, onsite guest laundry, free "Lending Locker". Pet friendly fee $25.

Cons: Noise (location). According to their Director of Sales, as of June 2013, management is attempting to get a "Silence Ordinance" passed to deal with the train.

Minor complaints: Out of more than 6 pillows in our room only one was a feather pillow. (We arrived after 10 pm and were too tired to bother the front desk). No "Do not disturb" sign. Arranged for late check out (2pm); yet housekeeping was in the room stripping the beds and bathroom when we returned at noon.

Very minor: When will hotels create a a TV channel menu that doesn't include the fifty channels they don't receive? It would make channel surfing a lot more pleasant.

Overall we liked this hotel brand and will likely try another Candelwood Suites hotel soon. Too bad the architects / developers didn't properly account for the noise at this location.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the elevators are also reported to be noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ARMcG
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear ARMcG,

We have been FIGHTING for the Silence Ordinance since before Summer 2013. The city has been very slow in reacting and we are trying our very best as we know it can disturb some of our guests sleep. We apologize for the inconvenience 10 fold and we plan to have this problem fixed as soon as we possibly can. As for the do not disturb sign, it is a magnet on your fridge, since your door is made of metal. We do apologize they entered the room before your checkout however. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our staff and facilities otherwise. Let us know next time you're headed to town and we'll get extra feather pillows set up in your room prior to your arrival. Safe travels till then! Thank you for your review!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was my first experience staying at a Candlewood Suites and I highly reccomend them for those traveling with pets. There was a non-refundable $25 pet fee, which is significantly lower than many other hotels I have stayed at.

The room and facilities were comfortable with everything you could possibly need or want. There was a plenty of space in the dog relief area and the front staff was very friendly. They even offered dog treats every time my dog passed by.

I will stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Erika M.,

Thank you for your wonderful review! Yes, since we are an extended stay hotel, we prefer to keep the pet fee low and cater to our furry friends! We are exceptionally pleased to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff and look forward to your return. Safe travels till next time!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The room was clean. The bed was uncomfortable as were the pillows. The staff was very friendly and accomadating. The main complaint I have is that the A/C didn't cool to our standards and was noisy. We like a constant 69 degrees when we sleep. Also, we were in the first room by the elevators on the ground floor and there was no noise barrior. Everytime the elevator dinged or someone was talking it woke us up.

In short, it's okay just don't stay by the elevator.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Bryan J.,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our staff and noticed the great work of our Housekeeping team! We apologize for the inconvenience regarding the elevator and A/C. There is a sensor in all the rooms that pickups movement to continue running the A/C. With us being a Green Engage hotel, we keep energy 'saved'. However, next time you're in town, let us know and we can turn off the sensor in your room so the A/C will run continuously! We'll also be sure and leave some feather pillows in your room and place you in a room at the end of the hall, away from the elevator! Safe travels till next time!