“I travel often and choose Candlewood as my hotel of choice for the San Marcos area.”
Review of Candlewood Suites

Candlewood Suites
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in San Marcos
Bullard
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I travel to San Marcos often with my family and must tell you four years ago there was not many choices for staying in a nice clean and friendly hotel. That all changed with the Candlewood Suites which I chose to stay in December. Since that time, on coming to San Marcos, my only choice of stay is Candlewood. The checkout is smooth and friendly, the room is large, smells clean, and the beds are more comfortable than my own bed. There is many listings regarding the train, however not once did I hear the train and I live out in the country! I slept soundly and the next morning was refreshed with a delicious cup of coffee. The staff go above and beyond required service. On my first check-in, the staff took the time to provide me a tour of the room and proudly showed off their hotel. If you like the outdoors, the hotel provides you a picnic area by the pool with a beautiful grill and sitting area for you to enjoy your meal by yourself or with family. This hotel is pet friendly which is allows you to bring your entire family to include your four pawed friends. Any needs you need, they have it in their check out library. If they don't have it, the staff make every attempt to assist you in meeting your needs.

I happily recommend Candlewood to all my friends and family rather it is an overnighter, a week long stay or long term. I assure you - staying at Candlewood in San Marcos assures you a five stay fantastic stay and an enjoyable stay in San Marcos, Texas.

Room Tip: Enjoy the pool and grill!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EastTexasPetrescuer
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Shannon W.,

Thank you for all your kind words! We work hard here at The Candlewood Suites to give our guests an unforgettable, enjoyable experience (even to our four legged guests!). Come back and see us soon Shannon! Safe travels!

- Amanda W., DOS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kentucky
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hotel was thrown together. Lots of unfinished projects even six months after opening. The rooms were clean when I checked in however house keeping didn't continue while I was there. They constantly skipped my room and never came back and even when they did "clean" it was only new towels. I put a bottle cap in the middle of the room to see if they ever vaccumed or swept and two months later when I left I picked that bottle cap up and put it in the trash myself. I had to borrow the vaccum and cleaning supplies after hours to clean my own room! VERY LOUD HOTEL!!! Paper thin walls, I-35 on the front side with constant traffic 100 feet away, and train tracks 50 yards away on the back side. I counted 11 trains blowing their horns on the way by between midnight and 6 a.m. They do give you ear plugs so I guess that a plus... No free breakfast but they're happy to sell you a $4 power bar in the morning. Just don't stay here, there are comperable alternatives that are close by and a lot bette.r

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
On behalf of our entire staff at Candlewood Suites, we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience while staying with us. I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.
We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations. If you need to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact the hotel directly or email us at sales@candlewoodsanmarcos.com.

Safe Travels!
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I would highly recommend to avoid this hotel. When you check in they offer you ear plugs. Trust me if you do stay there you will need them. The hotel is sandwiched between a major highway and railroad tracks that are heavily traveled. To add to the noise the hotel is built out of cardboard. Another issue is the cleaning staff are horrible. I stayed at this hotel for 3 months and not once did I see a cleaning staff use a mop to clean floors. I use hairspray and by the end of my stay my feet were sticking to the bathroom floor horribly. There was also mold growing around my shower.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Judy J
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Judy J,

We are deeply apologetic about your stay. I want you to know we have taken care of the small patch of mold. We found that the shower head had been leaking due to a lack of proper sealing around it on the inside. We removed the molded area and replaced the shower head with a proper seal. We made sure all other shower heads were properly installed and no mold was found. Once again, we have been working hard to get the train silenced since we opened. Its unfortunate it is a long process. We cannot apologize enough for how it may have affected your sleep. We are also working with housekeeping on continually being sure they sweep and mop on "Full Clean" days. They have made fabulous improvements, and we apologize for the lack there of during your stay. Next time you're in town, give us a call and we'll make your next stay a better experience! Thank you for your review and safe travels!
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites for one night, hoping to get a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, my room faced the railroad tracks and the trains came through all night, blowing horns. Also, I was disappointed to find that the hotel didn't provide hair dryers in the rooms. The hotel itself and staff were very nice. Rooms were spacious and had everything else I needed. I would stay again, but will remember to pack earplugs and my own hair dryer next time!

Room Tip: Request a room opposite the railroad tracks.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Travel_Mommyof2,

We want to apologize for the lack of a goodnight's sleep while staying with us! 47 trains a day come through San Marcos, and we are constantly battling the horns. Next time you're in San Marcos and staying with us, stop by the front desk before bedtime, and we'll be sure to provide you and yours with earplugs.

We also want to apologize for the missing hairdryer in your room. Each room comes equipped with a hairdryer, so this poses as a mystery to us as well!

However, we are happy to hear you enjoyed the facility and our stellar staff. Your next trip to San Marcos, give us a call! We'll have a better stay waiting for you.

Thank you for your review and safe travels!

Temple, Texas
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We came in for a weekend and had a great stay. The beds were comfy and the room large with kitchen area. They do not service breakfast, but they have some items for purchase. Clean rooms. Only problem we had was the lack of a door hanger for privacy and the maid knocked on the door to service our room. When I told her we weren't ready to leave yet, she said she'd give me until noon (that was the posted checkout time). They started cleaning rooms early Sunday morning and were loud moving things around outside our door.

Room Tip: One elevator, so you might want to select a lower level room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello PatticakesTemple_TX,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We pride ourselves on maintaining a clean and friendly environment. I apologize for the inconvenience of no door hanger, however there is a magnet on the fridge you may put on the door for "Do not Disturb" next time! Candlewood Suites has a stellar housekeeping team, however I apologize for your being given a time limit. We will be sure to discuss this in our next Staff Meeting. Till next time, take care!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Have rarely slept so well! Upon entering our room, we spotted the earplugs right away. And I did hear the freeway and the train (yes, with the horn blowing as others have mentioned), but it really wasn't a bother. I live in the city and not the country so it wasn't anything different than the incessant motorcycle noise in Fort Worth. We had great service and the place was super clean. We'd come back here in a heartbeat. Couldn't hear any other guests and the parking lot was full, so it must have been a full house that night.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank DellaDidDisney
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello DellaDidDisney!

Thank you for the lovely compliments! We take note to every guest response we get and thoroughly enjoy it when we hear we're doing a great job, ESPECIALLY when its busy! We look forward to your return, and again, thank you for your feedback. Take care from all of us here at Candlewood Suites San Marcos!

- Amanda W. DOS
MANSFIELD
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was very clean. The staff was extremely nice and were very good with my dogs. I travel with dogs and have not been treated this nice at any hotel in the past. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you travel with dogs, get the bottom floor. Easy exit from each end of the building.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
amandawilkscws, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear VANITA E,

We're so glad you and your fury friends enjoyed your stay! We love pets and always look forward to a few coming through our doors to say hello! Come back and see us, and give the pups a treat for us ;)